Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's up for today?

Our weather has been wet and cold for the last several days, so.... we've been working on indoor chores. Although, yesterday afternoon the sun did peek out for a bit so, we snuck out some laundry to the line and started pulling weeds. We actually finished the front flowerbeds, along the walk first( they'd been a work in progress) then we moved to the garden plot behind the garage, our salad garden. We have but one row left to weed and the garlic needs a quick run through and it's looking GREAT! The main garden is a MESS, but Mike assures me if we all pitch in, it will look GREAT again too.

The last several nights our lows were down into the mid to low 30's, last night being 34F. I prayed the garden produce that we couldn't cover would fair well. PTL, it didn't frost at all! We've hung onto some potatoes in the cellar, just in case we'd suffered frost damage. June 10, 2008 we had a total freeze that wiped out many of our area gardeners. By this time the greenhouses were pretty well sold out, so finding replacements was a challenge. Thankfully I was behind last season and only had in our spuds( which weren't up yet), corn and cool weather crops. The corn did get bite by frost a bit, but recovered. Since we grow our own seedlings (from OP seed stock we've saved), I'm weary about loss to frost. This is why the greenhouse is going to be such a blessing, we'll be able to grow several stages of seedlings, for the "Just In Case" moments and if those moments never come, we'll have greenhouse crops growing well into the late Fall.

Today our plan is....( not that it always works out the way we plan*sigh*) to finish laundry and hang outside, PTL the sun is shining in and out. Then I hope to get some vacuuming done, the kitchen and bathroom floors scrubbed and clean the back entry. Right now the back entry has muddy dog prints and hair everywhere! I love the dogs, but when they blow coat, I think twice*wink* If the temps. climb back into the 80's they are both scheduled for baths. We've stripped bags of undercoat from both and still it comes, it's all over the house in the corners, on the rugs and on all of us! I always say if I don't have hair( dog, cat, cow, horse), manure or mud on my clothes, something is missing.Those are of course my homestead accessories, who needs designer jewlery, shoes or a purse? LOL!!!! Well, I'm off to see how many dogs I can round up with the vacuum and broom *wink*

Blessing for your day!

5 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Our evenings have been unseasonably cool here...lows in the upper 30's, but no chance of frost.
Don't know what I'd do!
I would love to grow garlic, and I think it grows well here in West Michigan, but I think it needs to be started in the fall???

Sue said...

Hi Kelle,
Enjoyed reading this post, sounds so familiar!LOL
Sue

small farm girl said...

Try living with a St Bernard, hair and slobber. yea I know , your jealous.

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Thanks for your blog I enjoyed reading it. Thought I would thow out the suggestion that you no longer have to be a slave to the sun to air dry your laundry. I purchased a clothes drying rack a couple years ago. Now I can dry my clothes inside or out.

Faith said...

Cyn, if you read this, I started garlic in the summer, when someone brought some by and I had no idea what to do with it.

I poked it into rock hard clay, which was nearly impossible to dig in, and walked away. It came came up this spring. LOL

Kelle, boy do I know how it feels when the weeding gets away from you! I'm glad you caught up. It feels so good. LOL

You guys up north are sure having an interesting summer this year!

Dog rodeo. LOL

Take care!

~Faith

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...