Thursday, June 25, 2009

Here is a sample of one of Cortney's graduation pictures. I
need to crop and play with the rest a bit more.

Mike swathing hay. We didn't cut it as short as usual,

because we hadn't intended on haying it at all. The

rains we received made it grow quicker than the animals could graze

it down. We left it longer for grazing and it helps cut down on the amount

of irrigation needed following haying.

Mike estimates that we should get about 10-12 bales of hay.

the windrows are pretty thin, compared to previous years.

What a blessing this old swather has been. We purchased it at an

auction for $400 and we've used it for four seasons of haying with

only basic maintenance needed. This year it did run kind of rough to

begin with but seemed to pull out of it and run fine the rest of the

morning. If our weather holds we hope to get it baled and in the barn

on Sat. :o)

We gave Mo a both in prep for the graduation pictures. We didn't

have enough hands to get pictures during the bath and I didn't want

to get the camera wet.

This shows the traditional Fjord haircut. I've been just cutting it flat,

( the white and black the same length, due to time constraints) but

opted to do it right for their pictures. It take several hours and lots

of patience, on Mo's part as well as mine! ;o)

You probably have to click this photo to see the larger version,

our Narraganset hen and her two poults. The babes have great

camouflage!

This is the rest of the gang, minus one hen who is still setting.

We're praying she has a better hatch than the two before her.

This year we've only got three turkey poults, compared to 11

last summer, of which only 9 survived. Dang turkeys are hard to raise.

Thankfully it's just for our own use and if we happen to be blessed

with extras we then sell them, alive or butchered.

Today is weeding and watering day( the yard and orchard, the

garden has already been irrigated).

In the heat of the day we may run to town and drop off the garage

sale leftovers at the local community thrift shop. They don't sell

the items, it's free.

Our temps. were well into the 90's yesterday, YEAH, we need

the heat. The mosquitoes are so thick because of all the rain. You

have to dowse yourself in spray just to keep them at bay for

an hour or so. I made the mistake of spraying my face a few days

back ( my skin is sensitive anyway) and now my face is broke out

in tiny blisters and I look just awful, like a teenager again! I've

been putting comfrey ointment on and it does seem to

be helping it to heal. Two years ago I went to help Mike load up

some corn we'd gotten from a local farmer. We used their auger

to auger it from the bin to our trailer, the dust was terrible.

The next morning I woke up with my eyes swollen shut and my face

swollen twice the size it should have been. I didn't have any other

symptoms, and I treated it with cool wash clothes, and vitamin E oil

because it was almost like a burn, it began peeling. After the

initial shock and worry( this last a week) Mike began calling me

his Cabbage Patch Baby, LOL!!!! That is exactly what I looked

like too, once the swelling in my eyes went down. Before

anyone asks, NO, I don't have any pictures of that. Our son, Jon

was mad Mike didn't get pictures, so he could see how bad

it was. This will be one of those stories that passes down through

the generations, as a funny!

Good day to you all, we're off to replant mini pumpkins, zukes

and more radishes, as the first crop is almost done. Then I need

weed out the cantalope row, they are being choked by the weeds.

Blessing to you this day!



5 comments:

Faith said...

Wow, he is one good looking NF! What gorgeous conformation!

Oh, your poor face! LOL I hope it feels better now.

I spray my face, too. We don't have mosquitoes, but we have gnats that swarm all over us and fly in all our facial orifices, and we have little black sweat bees that sting or bite something fierce. I swell up big time when one of those gets me.

~Faith

Anonymous said...

Mo is just beautiful. It's amazing isn't it that they have the black stripe down the middle of their mane. Courtney looks cute too. I like her shorts outfit. Looks comfy! I didn't know it was so hard to raise turkeys. Guess you don't know those things unless you've got experience. Hope they all do well for you!!...debbie

Aunt Jenny said...

The graduation pictures are great!
I loved seeing the Fjord haircut on Mo too...I can see how that WOULD be a time consuming thing to accomplish!!
I love seeing what you are up to!!
I DID have to click on the turkey picture to see the poults..wow...they do have cammo!!! Very cool. I have only raised two turkeys at a time before..and sometimes ended up with only one. Our county has turkey farms everywhere. I would love to have a pet turkey again though..a different breed than the white ones that are everywhere here. I grew bronze breasted and white before...I love yours!!!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Faith,
I have to agree Mo is handsome. He is larger than the NF standard. He stands 16-2 hands at the withers. We actually like that he is taller, but finding a match is going to be next to impossible. That's okay because we really and truly only have time for one and he doesn't get the work outs he really needs.

My face just looks like it's full of zits, but the confrey is helping.

Debbie,
Cortney tan so easily, she looks good in shorts. Me on the otherhand, well..... my legs are so white they reflect the sun, LOL!
I didn't know anything about turkeys, but they are teaching us. I guess we could raise them up ourselves but when the mamas do it they do far better.

Jenny,
That is only one of many, many beautiful pictures my Aunt Linda took. I'm waiting for her to email the ones of her on a rustic wooden bench with the beautiful flowers on our root cellar in the background.

Thank you as always for your compliments about our blog. We love yours too. Cortney loves the pictures of the floursack tea towels you post, she is just beginning to get into cross stitching on tea towels. She's also learning basic crochet, wish your were closer to teach her to knit.

Take care, we most likely won't post until Sunday evening. If the weather holds we have 6-12 ton of grass hay( depending on how much they end up with on first cutting) to pick up and get into our hay loft.

Faith said...

You have been given the Honest Scrap Award. Enjoy it in good health!

~Faith

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...