Monday, June 8, 2009

The last of our potatoes from the root cellar. They are just starting
to sprout. We do have some smaller potatoes, and the plan is to
either can them or slice and dehydrate them.

This was my thrift shop find on Saturday, when I took Cortney

to Youth Group.

Here is an better picture. It's in really nice shape and absolutely usable.

I picked it up for a mere $8, told you it was a good find!

The picture of our supper! Well, the main dish anyway. We did have

pickles, pickled beets and dilly beans for our sides.

This is:

Lentils and Brown Rice Casserole

3/4 c. lentils, uncooked

1/2 c. brown rice, uncooked

3c. chicken stock

3/4c. chopped onion

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp.thyme

1/2 tsp. sweet basil

1/4 tsp. garlic powder or one clove crushed and minced

1/2 c. shredded cheese( of your choice), added the last 30 minutes

Blend everything together in the casserole dish and bake @ 300F for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Bake covered for 1 hour, then uncover, add cheese and bake 15-30 minutes.

I add a loose sausage( cooked before adding) sometimes.

This was Cortney's dessert! It's Pioneer cake( choc.).

It's easy to make and is very moist. It has a secret ingredient....

Vinegar!

Pioneer cake

3c. unbleached flour

2 c. raw sugar( we decrease it to 1-1/4 c.)

2 tsp.baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

6Tbsp. baking cocoa

3/4 c. olive or grape seed oil

3 Tbsp. vinegar

3 Tbsp vanilla

3c. cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into an ungreased10x14" cake pan. Mix and make 3 wells. In the first well add oil, in the second add vinegar and in the third add vanilla. Pour cold water over all. With a fork mix together. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes.

When cool you can dust with a powdered sugar or top with a cream cheese or sour cream frosting( made from scratch, of course!).



9 comments:

Donetta said...

Oh coming over from BEE BLISS

small farm girl said...

I an sooooo going to try Cortney's cake. Tell her it looks wonderful!

Faith said...

Is it the washer, or the thing on the washer?

I remember helping my grandmother do her laundry on a machine similar to that one, except probably an older model, as this one looks more modern than hers did.

Very cool!

~Faith

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the yummy recipes! will have to copy them down for sure!...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Donetta,
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come back again. I'll visit you too, thanks for your invite.

SFG,
It's so easy, not much mess and very moist and best of all YUMMY! Let us know what you think?

Faith,
Sorry I should have added it is the washing plunger I purchased. I've had my wringer washer for several years now and wouldn't trade it for the world! It gets the clothes clean and I mean the whites are white without bleach. Our wringer washer is 68 yrs old, we found a site that shows pictures of our exact model. It's actually older than the square tub models( which may be what your Grandma had)

Debbie,
Let us know if you like the casserole, it's actually quite good and good for you as well*wink* I add meat sometimes because Mike is a meat eater and turns his nose up at to many meatless meals. I like alittle meat but truly could live with out it.

MrsBumppo said...

Not sure what happened, I commented earlier. I am supposing it didn't go through.

Just commented. That I really love your washer. There is a lady I know who has one like it. Where I go and get my fresh cows milk. (this is add) I always love it when I show up on wash day. That is an awesome price you paid, it would have been a lot more around here.

Also I make the cake recipe you listed all the time and love it!! I make it in birthday and wedding cakes! It is always a crowd pleaser and very moist! I love that you don't have to use eggs.

Sincerely, Emily said...

Hi -
well, I am glad I wasn't the first one to ask "what it was". I could ID the potatoes in the first photo (good job right?) and then you had me. I definitely would ID the wringer washer, SO now I know what a washer plunger looks like.....SO how do you use and why (I know it could be the obvious (use like a toilet plunger but in the washer) but then I thought maybe it is used to move the clothes around and "plunge" into the water....?? Also, the Lentil/rice casserole - YUMMY. I will print that one out and give it a try sometime. Right now in the summer heat I am learning to plan ahead and when I bake bread, I get breakfast bars ready to bake and maybe something else at the same time to use oven for several things. It is just not worth heating it up for one thing in the summer. Emily

Sue said...

Hi Kelle,
Seeing this washer brings back so many memories for me, but i can't quit figure out what that is on top of it.

Both recipes look so delicious, thank you for sharing, I think I already have most of the ingredients for the casserole in my pantry and refrig.
Sue

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Black family,
I'd have to guess it's floating in cyber world somewhere*shrug*. It was my bad, because I didn't say it was the washer plunger that I'd purchased for $8. We paid $100 for the wringer washer 3+ yrs ago. I understand your feeling, I love this old washer. Thankfully they are rebuildable, if you are mechanically inclined like Mike! About the only things that can go wrong, are seals leaking, gears going out or the motor( which is electric and fairly common) Soory your first post was lost, but glad you reposted, thanks!

Sincerely Emily,
Hey, glad you came by! The washer plungers were used when laundry was done by hand. you know the laundry kettle over the fire and then they'd plung the clothes up and down to loosen the dirt, then use scrub boards and soap to srub, then rinse in clean water, plugging again to remove soap from clothes, Then finally wringing them either by hang or a manual wringer on the rinse tubs. Okay I'm tired just thinking about it! I really bought this as a decoration for our back entry/ laundryroom. The fact that it can be used if need be, is a plus *wink*

Amen to thinking ahead, we do this too, especially when using the natural gas stove( when it's to warm for the wood cookstove) We also have learned to use our BBQ and dutch oven for baking outdoors. Cortney even baked choc. chip cookies on the BBQ, several times last summer! *LOL* Our BBq uses briquets or we burn wood as well. It's fun to challenge yourself to think outside the box, or maybe that's just me*wink*

Sue, Welcome :o)
Let me know what you think, if you make this casserole. It's very good and easy to make ahead and put in the frig. until ready to bake. It freezes well,( after baked)so makes for a quick meal on days you don't have time to put something together. Thanks for stopping in, look forward to seeing you again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...