Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What's new in the hothouse?

These will be our earliest tomatoes. Those in the picture are a little
bigger than a golf ball. We need to re pot them, as they are beginning
to get root bound.

Cortney's snake gourd, looks good so far!
Hot house cabbage and a few more tomato plants to carry us into late

Fall and winter.

Our Spring lettuce mix, still going strong. The garden lettuce is

still a week or so out from it's first harvest.

We've taken 5-6 harvests from these two

planters. Next Spring we'll start cucumbers, radishes and peppers

early enough to have available with this early lettuce mix.

I'm going to really like having this greenhouse! In fact Mike

and I have been discussing building a permanent Hoop house in

the main garden. This will help to hasten and protect our tomato, melon

and bush bean crops.

Last season and so far this season, our weather has been cooler than

normal as well as shorter( later Spring frosts, as well as earlier

Fall frosts) Thus the reasoning behind finding ways to urge crops to

produce quicker and protect them longer.

Well, it's late and we have a LOT of weeding to do, plus mow and

weedwack the yard.

Blessings to each of you throughout this week.


4 comments:

Faith said...

Those are looking really good. I planted c and c lettuce in containers as well, an experiment to see if I could grow indoors. It worked somewhat, but not as well as I'd hoped.

I had seen a youtube video of someone getting quite a bit of lettuce that way, out of trays, but I'm sure it takes practice. Plus... they did it in a greenhouse, so plenty more light and heat. Oh yeah, and no cats either. ;)

~Faith

Millie said...

Wonderful hot house. Definitely necessary for extending the season. For this year I plan to have a cold frame (I got some shower doors off of freecycle that I think will work for that) to extend the fall season. For next year I might do a small greenhouse too if time and money allows.

Anonymous said...

looks like your gonna have a great garden when you can get the stuff from the greenhouse into the garden. Tomatoes look good!!...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Faith,

We're on dial up, so Youtube is out for us, it takes hours to download a 10 minute video.

I love the fact that we can have salad greens in winter. I'll keep them in the greenhouse as long as possible, before bringing into the house. Thankfully they are cold weather crops, because in winter our home is usually fairly cold. We prefer it that way*wink*

Millie,
If I haven't said this before, WELCOME!
I have old storm windows I've collected and used for cold frames.Our coldframes are very simple, we use old hay or straw bales and make a rectangle, only leaving one of the long sides open. You then place the windows up against the bales on the one long side and slant down to the ground on the open side. We did drape the bales with black plastic one year but found that the bales started to smolder YIKES!!! So instead we covered the windows at night with an old quilt to help hold in heat( this is in early March, in MT)and had a bed under the plants of composting manure( for heat)When it gets to hot you simply prop up the side of the glass on the ground, with a 4x4 chunk or something like that.

We just got this 8x8ft. greenhouse and it's nothing fancy by any means. It works great for the $130 we paid through Harbor Freight. We plan to have a hoop house in place for next year, in the garden to extend our season for in ground crops.
Regulating the heat in the greenhouse is a must, we have a small fan we run when it gets above 85F with the door and vent open, this helps to keep it at a constant 80-82F. Another thing I find is that I have to water heavily in the morning and then a light watering in the late afternoon for the palnts in the greenhouse.

Debbie,
These are just hot house plants to be raised in the green house.That's why I say I'm experimenting, this is all new to me and I'm learning as I go. My entire garden is planted and growing great. I still have late sweet corn to plant next week( we stagger our plantings) and I also have mangle beets to plant for the animals.They are like sugar beets in their size but better for the animals, we cut into bite sized pieces and feed as a treat. They keep well in the cellar, so make a good treat all winter long.

Thank you all for your comments! Keep'em coming :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...