Saturday, January 30, 2010

Yes, we're still making sausage! We had approx. 125+ lbs of meat for
sausage making.
Here is our first batch of sausage, it was a new recipe so made
a small batch first. This was a recipe generously shared by a
friend( thanks Yukon Mike! ) from http://www.pioneerliving.net/
Let me tell you this is a recipe well worth sharing and I'm passing
the recipe on to you(below)

First is the coarse grinding of the meat and fat. Then mix in the

herbs and seasonings( only the salt,pepper, and Bay leaves weren't

raised on the farm)

Second grinding using the medium plate.
If you click on the photo, you can see some of the seasonings,

now well mixed in. Next step, the most important, see below...
Taste testing and if there needs to be some adjustments,

then you sample it again, until you have the flavor just right.

This recipe didn't need much adjusting, we simply added

more garlic and red pepper, to suit our tastes.

Here are the recipes we use, all are our favorites!

Italian Sausage

2 lb. pork

1/2 lb. fat

1 Tbsp. fennel(ground)

2 bay leaves(ground)

1 Tbsp. dry parsley

1 tsp. garlic powder or 3-4 cloves minced

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

2 tsp. salt

2-3 tsp. black pepper( two for a less pepper flavor)

4 tsp. water

In large bowl mix all ingredients( meat coarse ground), until thoroughly mixed. Run through the medium grinder plate. Refrigerate overnight to let meat and spices blend. Makes enough for 3-4 pizzas.

More recipes to come... but supper is first*wink*

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You can make some really great soap with that lard as well.
I used to get it from the butcher when I made soap. I have not made any in a long time, but your post reminded me of another use for my future piggies. I appreciated seeing the butchering process, it's an important skill that does not get passed along as it once did.

Judy T said...

Mmmm, love Italian Sausage.
Judy

Anonymous said...

What a neat post! I love ground sausage! I like sage in it and I like it a little spicy. I think you are just great for making your own food! From the one pig, how many pounds of food did you get? Will you keep it for yourself or give some of it away or sell it??
wow! think of all the money you saved on meat. How long do you smoke the meat? Hope you have restful Sunday....debbie

JLB said...

Thanks Kelle,

The sausage looks wonderful! When I have more time I'm going to try and catch up on reading everyones blogs. I don't know anyone who raises angoras and the nearest place that I know of that has them is a rescue in Cheyenne

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Laura,
That is one skill( soapmaking) I've yet to learn, it more a fear of working with Lye, but I am going to give it a try this Spring, after our cow freshens, so I can use milk.
You are entirely welcome for the info. I'm blessed because Mike worked as a butcher in his high school years. I'm still learning from him, even though we've butchered pigs for 6 yrs now*wink*

Judy,
give this recipe a try you won't be disappointed!

Debbie,
I'm not a good judge of measure ments, so will ask Mike, but I'll approximate that from a 375-400lb dressed out pig we got about 300+lbs of meat. The hams weighed almost 60lbs( 4 of them) and the bacons( 4 sides, from two pigs) weighed 30lbs. Plus the sausage meat, soup/ broth bones, fat for rendering.
We do share with friends and family( although my folks still have plenty from last years pigs they had us raise for them) we're looking into raising one to sell, they'd have to have it butchered or we'd have to have it butchered by a USDA certified butcher, in order to sell and when you add in that cost and the feed cost( not figuring your labor) you'd make nothing. We take our hams and sidepork(bacon) to a friends for curing and smoking, it takes a several weeks. Actually I'm working on sausage today and sampling LOL! *wink*, Sat. is our day of rest.

JLB,
Maybe you could hitch a ride with Michaela if she comes for a visit this Spring/ Summer. We'd love to meet you, Lilly and babe. Cortney will latch right on to all of the kids, then you'll be able to enjoy your visit without worry.
Do you have contact info for that Rescue, I'll pass it on tto this lady, thanks.
Rest up and take care, you're in our daily prayers.

Blessings to all of you and thank you for your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...