Tuesday, January 26, 2010

How blessed are we.......

To have a refrigerator FULL of meat?
Everything wrapped in paper is heading to the meat shop to be cured
and smoked, possibly today. The zip lock bags( a dozen of them,
weighing approx 10lbs each) are the meat Cortney and I will be
making into loose sausage. I think we'll start tomorrow and work on
getting two batches a day ground, mixed and wrapped. This will leave
us time to do laundry, clean house, cook, chores, etc....

This is our second batch of fat for rendering, we cut the fat into smaller

pieces, they seem to melt quicker that way. If you click on the photo

you'll see the 1 tsp. of baking soda on top of the fat, this helps to give

a nice white lard.

We start it off on a trivet, until it gets melted some, then we place it on

a cooler spot on the wood cook stove, so it doesn't scorch. You'll want to

stir this often, to prevent the meat and bits( that settle to the bottom)

from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

I didn't get pictures of how we strain it, but what we use is a colander

lined with a loose weave muslin, or a cheese makers cloth,( NOT store

bought cheesecloth, it's to loose and will let settlement through) The

cheese makers cloth is held in place with cloth pins, to prevent

slipping down when you are pouring the hot lard. After it is strained,

the remaining fat and cooked bits(cracklings) are left to cool and

thoroughly drain. Once cool enough to handle, gather the cloth and

squeeze any excess lard out, then lay the cracklings out on wax paper

to finish cooling, then we place in containers and freeze.

This is the hot lard in a sterilized gallon jar. We also use wide mouth

quart jars. This is left on the counter to cool, before refrigerating.

Disclaimer: Don't add a hot glass jar to a cold frig or freezer it will

break!

This is after just 3-4 hours on the counter and is now cool enough to

refrigerate. See how nice and white this lard is?Let me tell you, you've

not eaten pie crust, pastries or homemade donuts as good as when

using this lard.

Click on photo for a closer look*wink*

Okay next blog will be step by step sausage making with recipes!

On a side not, let me share that our hens are now picking back up in

their egg production, we've gone from 2-3 eggs a day to up to 10 a day,

YEAH! , and the egg customers are glad for it too!

Yesterday was so.. exciting for Cortney and I, we've been checking

Addy, for any movement of her calf. Some days you think you feel

movement or was it just gas, LOL! Any way yesterday we both

without a doubt felt it moving, in fact it kicked Cortney's hand when she

gently pressed. Now we are so..... excited for Addy to calve mid to end

of April. Our last calf born here was still born from our old Jersey cow,

Bessie, so in the back of your mind you worry, or at least we do.

This Spring is going to be so fun, with a new calf and this year we'll

be ordering chicks and the possibility of Cortney raising bum

lambs until weaned too. That is one reason I look forward to Spring,

how about you? Maybe it's to early to dare ask this but, won't you please

share what you look forward to with the coming of Spring?

7 comments:

Mama Mess said...

There is nothing so beautiful as nice white lard that you've rendered yourself. I've got some out on my non heated back porch right now and it's just gorgeous! Chicken fried in lard is just amazing isn't it? I strain mine through a clean pillowcase, it works great!

I'm ready for spring because of baby goats, I'll be able to let my banty hen Little Gray set some chicks, she's just desperate to become a mama again, green grass, clothes hanging on the line, sunshine, the smell of my rich garden soil, morel mushrooms......oh I could go on and on and on!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the sun being more over my house (it hides behind the mountain during the winter and it is sorta like living in a bog for four months!)
OMG, all the yummy piggy!! Do you make liverwasut?? Oh, I would love to make fresh liverwaust soon....certain "innards" are required however and the wild pigs have not been seen for awhile so I must put out my "feelers" to find some from friends. And breakfast sausage. And Italian sausage. And Chorizo. And pepperstciks ( mixed with a little deer meat)...
wonder if i could talk TrapperDude into rasaing another pig????
I love pig!!

Anonymous said...

Great post on rendering lard. Enjoyed it. What I look forward in spring are the trees that bloom and all the bulbs that flower! The grass turning that vibrant green and the air feeling warmer and the sun brighter! ...debbie

regina said...

I enjoyed your post. Maybe next year when we butcher a pig we can learn to render lard.

I love to garden so that is what I'm looking forward to, breaking up the soil and planting.
Regina

Judy T said...

Great post. Thanks for the tutorial. I didn't know about the baking soda. That's good to know if we ever do this ourselves.
Judy

small farm girl said...

Thanks for the blog about lard rendering. Makes me want to get a hog. I look forward to spring so that I can sit on my front porch and watch the morning sun with a cup of tea. I know when I do this my day always starts out great.

Tonia said...

Oooo It all looks so good!!! It is a good feeling when your freezer is full!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...