Sunday, January 24, 2010

"WARNING" graphic pictures of butchering and processing hogs

Okay we left out the kill pictures, you all know how that goes. This is
the Barrow(neutered male pig), Mike's getting the legs skinned out
and preparing to have me help, PULL the hide off.

I was helping hold the entrails, to prevent leaking, so didn't get photos

of how to carefully cut the male organ loose, without puncturing the

urinary tract. I did get better pictures of the gilt(below)

Pulling the hide off verses skinning it with a knife, leaves the fat on the

meat better and since we process the fat into lard and use in our

sausage, we like to keep as much fat as possible.

Pelvic bone split, preparation for gutting.
VERY carefully cut around the anus and sex organ, so you don't

rupture and release manure or urine. Tie a string around the end of

entrails and hold away from body( just in case)

Now carefully begin to slice through the gut wall, you do NOT want to

slice or rupture the guts( for obvious reasons), so Mike( who was a

a butcher for several years) carefully holds his left hand between the

guts and wall, being careful not to cut himself.

The further he gets down the carcass the more the guts begin to loosen
As you see they fall out easily
This is the anus( tied off) and Mike is gently pulling and cutting where

the insides are being held in the body cavity.

Always holding the anus away from the carcass. Once the guts are out

the the only thing left is to remove the head. Okay now on to

processing. This is done after a week hanging in 40-45F temps, this

is called aging the meat.

I got some of the pictures out of order, so please bear with me. The

pan in the foreground is sausage meat and the pan in the background is

fat, washed and ready to be cut into smaller pieces to be rendered.

Here is a small portion of the fat from one half. It needs to be washed,

no matter how careful you are( we wash the carcass after we skin

and gut) there always seems to be stray hairs or some dirt.

Some of the washed and cut fat just beginning the rendering process.

HINT:for the whitest lard, add 1/2 tsp baking soda at the beginning

of the rendering. I do our batches with approx. 15lbs. of fat, 1/2c.

water and the 1/2 tsp baking soda. Heat slowly( I place the pan on

a trivet on the back of the wood stove, cover, stir to prevent

scorching.) As the fat cooks down, you begin to see bits of cooked

meats and fat, these are called "Cracklings" and will become a golden

floating to the top. You strain them off with a slotted spoon and save

in a container in the freezer. We use these bits in biscuits, cornbread

and as toppings for casseroles. Some like to eat them fresh, but they

are too rich( greasy) for me. I'll post pictures of the lard being

strained and pour into jars. We have found that we typically use 2

gallons of lard a year in our cooking and baking. It keeps well in the

refrigerator, we've not had any spoilage, ever! The bowl on the left is fat trimmed from the chops and steaks, saved

for rendering and use in the sausage. The bowl on the right has a large

shank ham( waiting to be trimmed up a bit) and the butt portion, in

which we cut into roasts( our preference) Here is the shank ham all washed and trimmed, ready to be taken in to

be smoked. This ham weighs approx. 14lbs
Mike just had to get a photo of me in my grimmy apron, stirring the fat

to prevent scorching to the bottom. It was a LONG day on Sat. but we

got everything cut, washed, packaged, labeled and what needed to be

frozen in the freezer and what needs to go to the meat shop for curing

and the meat for sausage( we make ourselves) in the refrigerator

downstairs.

I admit it we slept in this morning, until 5:45am, then fed the animals

as usual at 6am., then stoked the fire and headed back to bed! Yep,

we were being bums, tired bums and slept in until 7:30am*wink*

Up again, we had coffee while I made blueberry muffins for breakfast.

Praying your weekend was blessed and you are refreshed, we are!

12 comments:

The Craftivist said...

Now that's how it OUGHT to be done. It is alot of work but it's satisfying to know where your food is coming from and how your animals and your meat were handled. I don't know how to butcher anything except chickens myself but I think it would definately be worthwhile to learn.
Thanks for the post.

Kat said...

Thank you very much for posting these pics, especially the rendering lard tutorial. Do you pressure can the jars of lard after rendering to seal them or are they ok as is? We are planning on pigs this year so definitely gathering as much info as possible. God bless, Kat

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Thank you for posting about this subject. I had watched my grandmother going through the whole thing as a 5 yr old, amazing how that brought back memories. Someday I might need to try it myself.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Craftivist,
It is a lot of work and it isn't something you think of as fun, but you are exactly right about knowing whereand how the animals came from, what sort of life they had and how that they were humanely killed and that the processing was a clean procedure. I've seen some butcher shops and there is no way I'd pay to have them cut, handle and wrap our meat, nope I'm to picky


Kat, I'll be posting more pictures as it renders( possibly today). Okay my grandmother said she rendered lard and tallow and never kept it in a refrigerator, just a cool dark place in a well seal container. Myself I feel better about keeping it in the frig. I don't pressure can it,or waterbath, just pour strained lard into a clean (sterilized) gallon jar or several widemouth qt jars and seal. I bet if you pressure canned it it would be safe to store on the shelf.

Rina,
Welcome glad to see you here! Yes, it is work, but so... worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

Great Post! Never saw anything get butchered. That pig was huge. Must be nice knowing you did it yourself and that it was done the right way. The 14# roast is beautiful! I love homemade sausage. When I was a realtor I sold a lot of farms and I had one lady whom I sold a farm too, she had a pig farm and used to give me sausage. Man, it was tasty! Really enjoyed your post!!...debbie

Mama Mess said...

There is no better feeling in the world than cooking up some meat that you raised and processed yourself! We don't keep pigs, (anymore) but do butcher rabbits every few months and chickens once a year. It's a nice feeling knowing that what you are eating was born on the homestead, died on the homestead, and was processed on the homestead! How do you handle the heat in the summer with your cookstove?

small farm girl said...

I loved your post! I've always wondered how they did that. My dream is to one day have us some pigs so that we can butcher them ourselves and make lard and all. I've already decided I'm keeping them next to our fence next to our neighbors. lol. Thanks for the post. It was very interesting.

Sherri

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Debbie,
Yes, they were BIG pigs( that big we call them HOGS! Mike wanted to get them bigger than in previous years so maybe we won't need to raise them every year. You can't raise one by itself, so then it becomes two and that is to*wink* much for three of us and my folks still had lots of meat left from last year so they opted out.

GW,

While we don't raise them from birth, it is our friends, who raise them all natural, so close enough for our liking. We then buy them( keeping our $$ local) at about 80lbs( feeder pig size) and raise them up all naturally. It is so.... nice to open a package of meat and not have to wash or worry about any contamination, it's already been done.
Thanks for commenting, we enjoy what you have to add, thanks.

SFG,
LOL! putting them next to your neighbor's fence*wink* This is one of the reasons we raise them in late fall through mid winter, the smell is almost nill and the other reason is so it's cold enough to hang them for the week to age.
You go girl! I want to see a photo tutorial on your blog next year, deal! Bet your nail customers would puke at the thought, LOL!!!!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

GW,
Blonde moment or maybe it's senior moment too? We don't cook on the wood cookstove in summer, it would be awful! Instead we do have a natural gas, conventional stove in the kitchen as well,but we simply don't cook much in summer, instead eat fresh salads and cold meals. If we desire to cook we use our BBQ outside, HEY! we've even cooked choc. chip cookies on it, LOL! It's a charcoal BBQ/smoker, or we use kindling too it depends on what is on hand. Bread, set inside a dutch oven bakes well too.*wink*

Judy said...

Thanks for posting this. Now I know we can do this...raise pigs for meat. Now we just have to get ourselves a bigger place :)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That was a truly delightful and informative post and your a good example of a "Goodwife" :o) knowing what to do to keep your larder full...I enjoyed watching and wished I had a pig , but first I would love to have some chickens, but alas I don't believe that will ever happen either. We live in a division where it's not allowed and we are to old to even think about moving again..So I will have to remain happy that I at least have a garden or two.:o)

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Gingerbread House 7,
Let me welcome you and then say Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorials.
Raising animals is NOT for everyone, sorry to hear you can't even have a few laying hens. Gardening is just as fun and you don't have to do it in the winter, unlike caring for animals*wink*
Thanks for stopping in to chat, hope you'll come chat agani, soon!
Blessings,
Kelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...