Friday, May 8, 2009

Why journaling is fun, looking back to compare.....

Sorry---- but we've been busy and haven't had the time nor the energy to blog * heavy sigh*. Don't take it wrong, it's not complaining as we are enjoying every minute we spend outdoors and the lack of energy makes for a good nights sleep *wink*.

Another cold front has moved in and today is grey and the wind is bitter. I'm still scratching my head over this global warming movement because.... yesterday I dug out my garden notebook to get a plot map drawn out of placement of our crops for the 2009 season. In this notebook I keep notes from season to season, nothing official or even done on a daily basis, just when I have the time. In looking back at our 2008 plot map and read notes made throughout the season, it was interesting to see that I made note of our unusually high temps. in late Spring( April) and Early summer( May and beginning of June), well into the high 70's and low to mid 80's, with not much rainfall noted. So far this season we've, to my knowledge, not been higher than 72 F( one or two days). Rather this season, so far has only been into the mid to low 60's and high 50's F. and lots of rainfall noted *sigh*( although this does afford us one more opportunity to have the wood stove fired up , to say we need a fire in May sound so crazy). Now I'm no rocket scientist but it sure doesn't support Global Warming does it? Of course those who support this movement, have this covered as well, first the Northern states will have a cool down period, before the heat wave hits! This is how I feel personally, the Lord is in control and I trust in whatever He puts in place and have the assurance that He will comfort and protect us.

Today we're going to work on cleaning the house, washing sheets, transplanting our seedlings to their final pots (before they head out to the garden), baking zucchini bread( in the wood stove, YEAH!), get a pot of chili simmering on the stove and a batch of cornbread baking, yep that's supper.

Nothing much to exciting here, we're kind of at a wait and see point. The only clean up left is our herb gardens and we're holding off a bit longer so as not to loose any precious herbs to frost. The potatoes are planted, garlic is all up and looking great, walking onions are in dire need of thinning and we simply wait for the ground to warm up and dry out enough to warrant planting our cabbage, lettuce, kale, spinach, radishes,parsnips, beets and possibly carrots. There is tilling left, to set our rows for flood irrigation, and of course planting the remainder of the crops, the end of May beginning of June. We have walls of water for the tomatoes and peppers, so it may be safe to get them in the garden in mid May, again we wait to see what the weather holds for us.

I do feel blessed to be on the waiting end of things, as last season, my back caused delays and we got behind and very overwhelmed! I even recall telling Mike and Cortney I didn't think I was going to garden any more*Gasp!*

Praise the Lord, my back is holding up well. Yes it's been sore but nothing a good back massage from Mike hasn't fixed. Two chores that do affect my back are tilling and weed whacking, but I've done both and recovered well,God is good!

It's time to head to the barns and let the girls out to pasture, muck stalls and head back indoors to our cozy wood stove.

Many blessing to each of you today,
Kelle

7 comments:

MrsBumppo said...

ok, just want to say....Global Warming is crazy!! God is in complete contol!

Also I will be over for dinner tonight!! LOL!! :) That sounds so yummy!!


Praying your back continues to hold up this spring!

Have a great day!

Gina

Amy said...

It's been in the mid 90s here in Texas. My poor plants are just sad. Still producing, but ugh...the heat!

Zucchini bread with a big blob of cold butter... sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I do not believe in Global Warming. I think it's some political thing to make us spend money - well....phooey on them. Glogal Warming..Bah Humbug!!! Yes, I'll have a slice of Zucchini bread and butter with Amy please. thank you!...It has rained here for 2 weeks and isn't supposed to warm and dry up anytime soon. We are having a lot of flooding in WV, with people having to be rescued from boats & helicopters...Not a good thing...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Gina,
Bless you, we feel the very same way!
Consider yourself invited for supper anytime. If you ever get to MT let me know we'd love to have you and your over.

Amy,
Good to see you :o) Sorry to hear about your plants. Feel free to send some heat our way.
There is nothing as good as banana, or zucchini bread hot from the oven with a cold glass of milk!
Again glad to see you, come back soon!*wink*

Debbie,

That's horrible to hear you are suffering such horrid weather. Our prayer is that the snow pack melts off slowly and not all at once. Otherwise we'll be worrying about flooding here. First yr. here the river roared like a chocolate river. On our side of the river the banks are 8ft high and it was literally 6-8 inches from coming over the bank, PTL it didn't. I had many sleepless nights, let me tell you. Mike worked nights in the city(68+ miles one way) and I didn't sleep well until he was home about 1am.

I'll pray your weather settles down and that the water soaks in instead of flooding.

How fun it would be if you all were closer, we'd have you over for goodies all the time!

Blessing to each of you,
Kelle

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Kelle, thank you for your comment! I'd love to get to know you better & I understand if there may be some hesitancy putting your info out on the web, so if you have YIM, I am stonythorn on there & I go by both wyo-helpmeet & babyfrawg on googletalk/g-chat!

Otherwise my yahoo addy is the same as my IM ;)

Anonymous said...

Kelle,
Just wanted to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day and a wondeful weekend...debbie

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

*sniff* I tried it and got a failure to deliver notice *sniff*

Here's mine, you don't have to delete it, though as I'm writing it in "code" LOL:

stonythorn(at)
yahoo(dot)com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...