Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spent our day inside, cooking, cleaning, taking the cat to the vet for her yearly shots and writing letters.

We knew it was coming, so planned accordingly. We finished up laundry and
hung on the line in hopes it would dry before the rain showed up. No such
luck,so now the clothes will be rain water soft, again *wink*


We baked Zucchini bread this morning and of course had to sample some
after dinner.
Here is supper; Chuck roast with potatoes, onion, heavy on the garlic, carrots
and sunchokes. The baking powder biscuits are waiting for the oven to
preheat ( there is a better "before" picture just below)

This is the after picture of the biscuits( Hey, Cindy want to come over now?)


The "before" of biscuits



I was trying to get a shot of the heavy rainfall but you can't see it. BTW
this is our kitchen window over the sink, looking South toward the river.




Catching rain to refill two barrels. We've emptied two full barrels
watering plants in the greenhouse as well as transplants we've made
around the homestead.





Storm clouds passing through, we even heard some Thunder!
Clothes are rain water soft now! You can see one of our mature apple
trees and the rhubarb patch in the background( you can click the
picture to enlarge). We're praying they don't freeze tonight
or tomorrow night, we NEED the apples.























































7 comments:

small farm girl said...

I think God sends rainy days so that we won't feel bad about doing indoor work.

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks good as usual. My buscuits come out like hockey pucks. Have no idea what I do wrong. I gave up and just buy them. That sure is a big apple tree. Hope you have lots of apples. Yum...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SFG,
All I can add is, AMEN! Your letter is being mailed today! *wink*

Debbie,
I believe I posted my recipe for baking powder biscuits here. Check under recipes( I'll check too) The trick is not to over work the dough, simply mix wet ingredience into dry until moist, place on a floured surface, patting down to 1/2 in. thickness and cut. Another trick is to preheat the pan, I add 1/4 c. oil to the large glass pan( lazagna size) and preheat. Then I dip the tops of the biscuits into the hot oil, invert and place in pan. These turn out light and flaky everytime.

PTL! it didn't frost last night, so we'll keep praying for tonight.
That tree,and there is one directly behind it are two of four original trees. We finally had to cut one down this spring, it was rotten inside. We figure they are close to 100yrs old. They were way out of shape and over grown when we bought the place and in fact this Spring we finally got them looking better. We didn't want to do to much and shock them, so did alittle over 6 yrs. We also have two standard and one semi dwarf tree, that we planted as replacements. The old trees are(1) Liberty and (2) Macks all of which are delicious apples.

Thanks for your comments ladies.
Blessings,
Kelle

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Those cat head biscuits look wonderful, I can almost taste them with butter and strawberry jam. I wrote about cat head biscuits last month...that's the only kind I like to make.
Thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm; I'd like to follow your blog but don't see the sign up...?

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Sandra,
Thanks for your visit! We'd love for you to follow our blog, just scroll down until you see the followers widget on the righthand side. You can join there.
I enjoyed your blog too.I wish I had more free time to follow closer.

Blessings,
Kelle

Cindy in NE said...

HI Kelle,
You bet I would love to come over and taste those biscuts. But I can see what I did wrong after reading your blog. I worked the dough too much and maybe added too much flour.
It is cold here and tomorrow is supposed to be rainy. I should have hoed in the garden.
Life is interesting here also. Too interesting at the moment. UGH!
How far is the river from your house? That is the only thing Ihaven't seen in your pictures.
Cindy

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Cindy,
I'm praying your "interesting" is a good thing?

You asked about the river, well it's approx. 500ft.( this is Mike's measurement) I'll post a few pictures that I have on hand and will get pictures of our high water season.

If you live in the woods, fire is a worry, if you live by water flooding is a worry, so we just enjoy each day and pray the Lord protects us.

Blessings,
Kelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...