Saturday, May 16, 2009

This is a picture of our back entry, actually it's our main entry.
Right now we can enjoy our patio because the mosquitoes are
not out yet. This entry leads into our mud/laundry room and then
into the kitchen. The solid brown door( behind the rustic bench)
is an outside entry to our pantry, we also have an inside door.

You can click on the picture to enlarge, then you can see
the hanging flowers. We so enjoy sitting out on the swing
or at the table after a long days work. The trees are full
of birds singing and it's just so peaceful and quiet.


We cleaned out about half of our herbs( along left side of picture)
and hoed weeds from between herbs and down the pathway.
You can see the grape arbors in the background, they are just
beginning to bud. Both grape vines are Concords.



Not much to look at yet, nothing is up yet. Mike and I
have been working out some problems in our gardening,
one of which is getting the rows to flood quicker. We
decided to make a pathway down the middle and make
two mainline irrigation pipes, down the herb path as well as
down the middle pathway,with 3-4 spickets, ea. to hook 20 ft
hoses and bubblers to. This way we can irrigate 6-8 rows at one
time verses currently we irrigate only 3 at a time.





The rhubarb is ready for the first harvest and I can't wait
dig out our favorite rhubarb recipes.
Around the rhubarb I planted asparagus( last Fall) and they
are doing well, although it will be a few seasons before we
get a good harvest.





The garlic and our walking onions. Yes the onions are still in need
of serious thinning. I was waiting for our pump to be up and running
so I could water good the day before and then thin. I'm going to
chop up the ones we thin, freeze some and dehydrate the
rest. I chop up the tops as well. Anything culled is fed to
the turkeys, they absolutely love them.

Speaking of turkeys, we only have one poult, so far *sigh*
This is one lucky poult, it has two mamas and they both
are doing a wonderful job. We still have three hens setting,
one is getting overdue, so her eggs may not be any good. We
try not to bother them, as they will leave a nest if bothered
to much. We will candle her eggs tomorrow. As I said in an
earlier blog, turkeys are not an easy animals to raise. I'm
praying we do get several to hatch and survive from the
two remaining hens. I'll try to get a picture of the little poult.
That all depends on if I can get his two mamas to move out
of the way long enough.



















































7 comments:

Holly said...

Wow-that is a huge garden!! Can't wait to see it all growing. Holly

small farm girl said...

I love that you have your own peaceful place to sit and relax too! I think everyone needs one. Huge garden! Can't wait until you see it sprouting.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

It is 1/4 acre. We only planted half last season, but decided we'd plant it all and sell as well as share with elderly folks in our area. You probably ask why just the elderly, well we feel led to help those who can't grow gardens any longer but still enjoy the fresh produce. We've offered many times to share our bounties with young families, but it seems they are to busy to be bothered with coming to pick it.
Cortney enjoys selling mini pumpkins, indian corn and gourds, so we figured we'd add a bit more and see what happens.

Thanks for your comments, and I'll add pictures as it sprouts and comes to life, that's the fun part.

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Your garden looks FABULOUS!!!

We have a few older folks we're praying to gift with fresh food this year as well!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Hey lady. Check your spambox, as I replied to your first email and the one I opened today. Also sent it from my other email to see if you'd get it.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

I got it this time, nothing in my spam, guess it's lost in cybermail. I emailed you back and I understand about you being busy, we are here as well. Have a blessed week.

Lynn Bartlett said...

I sure like your house! I'm hoping we can figure something out to be used as a mud room for us when we finish our house, maybe have everyone use the basement entrance to take off those dirty boots! You are much farther along than we are in the gardening realm; I don't even have rhubarb!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...