Thursday, May 14, 2009

My friend Cindy asked how far the river is from our house. I'm
terrible with measurements, so I asked Mike and he said approx. 500 ft.
Let me say when it's high water season, it's plenty close enough! It sounds
like a freight train and looks like a raging chocolate river.

This is Mike, Cortney and our dog, Lacy the day we first looked at
this property. It was in late Oct. The edge to the right of Mike is
a good 8-9 ft drop off to the river bed. This view is looking East,
our house is to the North( left of Cortney)

This view is looking West.

North

South


This is an satelite map of our property. I've marked
our property lines, house, barn,garden and river. When
I shrunk this down, it doesn't show the bottom portion
of our property. The river makes a bend to the North
our property follows this bend to the first property line
on the North side. I hope that makes sense.


I'm going to get pictures of high water this year
and I'll post them.



























3 comments:

Aunt Jenny said...

I love visiting your blog....such a fun place. Wow..you ARE close to the river!!
I get "rain water soft" clothes alot too. I always tell my kids that I am able to make it rain..all by myself. If I wash the car AND hang a few loads of clothes on the line it will rain just about every single time.
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

You have really nice property. Does the bank erode away much? When it erodes, do you own some of the river or does your property line deminish. Do you use the water to water your garden. I have a friend who got a hose & pump and uses it to water his horses and water his garden!!...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks Jenny, your blog is the first I go to when I see you have a new post.
I don't mind rain water soft until they've been hanging in the rain for a week *groan*
You enjoy your weekend too, ours is supposed to be well into the 80's. Maybe I'll get my tomatoes out in the garden with their walls of water around them and I'd planned to get the cabbage planted today, but it rained 2/10th last night so will have to wait for it to dry out a bit. We have sandy soil but when it's wet it's like snot! *wink*


Debbie,
Yes unfortuantely when high water comes we loose land. It doesn't so much errode, it's just so sandy that when the water gets high enough to throughly wet the soil it caves off in hunks. We've looked into ways to try to fix it and it's either is going to cost $100,000 or by planting willows and grasses it doesn't have enough time to establish well enough between high water times.*sigh* Sure wish some of that stimulas $$ would help us by getting the problem solved.Lord knows it's better to save property than to save the banks, who are still going under one by one.*Grrrr!*
We have irrigation rights, right on our land deed, up to 60gpm. The problem is affording the fuel to run the pump( no electric out that far) and the river does introduce weeds and chemicals from farm fields, runoff. We want to avoid that as much as possible.
Have a very blessed weekend, grand daughters coming over?

Blessings,
Kelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...