Saturday, April 25, 2009

Something a little different. I took this from Aunt Jenny's blog and thought it would be fun to answer these as I was a early to mid teen in the 70's. I'm not one of those women who are afraid to share my age; I'm 43, soon to be 44 in June. It means so little to me, LOL! I had to actually stop and figure out just how old I am, in fact I put down the wrong age on Jenny blog in the comments( blond moment)!!!! Anyway, I thought it would be a fun trip down memory lane.

70's CHILD?
IF you were a little girl in the 70's...
You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. No
You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. Yes, it was the cool thing, that banana seat anyway.
You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) Yes, this was a weekly activity with my friends. I never did get the hang of skating backward though.
You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) I only saw this show a couple of times, so I don't remember Gopher, I do however remember the Doc, he was funny.
You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island . No, and again only saw it a couple of times but I love thriller shows.
You had either a 'bowl cut' or 'pixie', not to mention the 'Dorothy Hamill'. People sometimes thought you were a boy. I wasn't allowed to have long hair,my Mom hated stringy hair. I always looked like a bucked toothed freckle faced boy! This part of what I have long hair now, rebellion of a sort*wink*, and my Mom comments all the time, about how a woman my age should have short hair.*sigh*
You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. Yep, had both. I remember those rain boots were a pain to get on and Moon boots made you feel like you were walking on air.
You owned a 'Slip-n-Slide', on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. No, we swam in the ditch and made a mud slid down into the water(can you see that bucked toothed, freckle faced tomboy yet, LOL!)
You owned 'Klick-Klacks' and smacked yourself in the face more than once ! Never own any, friends had them, we had Yo-Yo's
Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. No, everything I loved revolved around horses.
You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. Had a poncho but never wore knickers, just cut of jeans. I remember Star and Hash jeans were all the rage when I was in 7-9th grade. If you didn't own a pair you were a nerd-ola
You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.My brother got one for either his Birthday or Christmas, most all of my gift related to me or my horse.
You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or the sun shine family No, I do however remember watching their show on TV.
You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. No, but friends had them, we instead played with matchbox cars, baseball, football( the neighborhood was full of boys I was the only girl)
You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. No, my hair was short, so why bother.
You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). No money was tight and they were expensive. I did have a pair of clogs, with the wooden sole and cork on the bottom, they were my favorite shoes! Otherwise we ran barefooted all summer.
You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. Never heard of them, not much saltwater in MT
You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Oleson! Again TV wasn't allowed much, but I did read the books via the school library. In about 9th grade in Home Ec. I made a prairie dress, I wore it out, literally.
You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! First Kiss, Yuck, boys were for playing baseball, football and climbing trees with( again see the tomboy side?) I do however remember the first dance I attended in 9th grade and I dance with only one boy, he was the most popular boy in school and HE asked ME to dance! His name was Chip and he was, as we became friends in later years a real gentleman.
PONG! ('video tennis' ) was the most remarkable futuristic game you've ever heard of !Never heard of it, in fact never played a video game until I was in college( Pac Man)
Your hairstyle was described as having 'wings' or 'feathers' and you kept it 'pretty' with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the 'wings' flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna 'take off' .Feathered was had to do, at this point my hair was short and permed kinky curly, so all you had to do was wash and pick it out!
You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. I remember seeing these items in the stores, but never own or watched anything to do with them.
You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic.I took cold lunch in a sack, I do however remember having a box, I think it was plastic and had a horse running on the front.
You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. Again not much exposure to TV.
YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! My brother did have a few items.
It was a big event in your household each year when the 'Wizard of Oz' would come on TV. We did watch it, but not every year.
You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: 'Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?' Never actually owned one, but friends did. I remember dreaming about Shawn Cassidy, but couldn't stand Leif Garrett( one of my best friends loved him though, her room was covered in posters)
You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. I never owned one, my folks thought they were to well... risky. I did go to the movie Grease and loved it!
You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. We made these in school, art class. Otherwise I liked to draw, horses of course!
You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! I have no idea what a stinky dinks are and most of my clothes were hand me downs from my cousin. I really liked this as she was stylish and I had really nice clothes for school, otherwise I wore wrangler or rustler jeans and a T-shirt of some sort.
You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker..No, but I did have my own record player and 95% of my albums were western singers( Kenny Rogers, Dolly Pardon, Crystal Gayle, John Denver( I still love his songs) and I did have the sound track to Star Wars.
You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. No, it was considered a waste of hard earned money.
You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books.No, I didn't like mushy books, but had a friend who devoured Harlequin Romances.
You thought Olivia Newton John's song 'Physical' was about aerobics. Honestly I don't think I really gave it much thought.
You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs.No, I wore cowboy boots, clogs or went barefoot
You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. No, but loved their shiny outfits.
You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft I do remember having this, my favorite was from Avon, called "Sweet Honesty" and I still like it, but they stopped making it years ago.
You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off. What I remember is the Chocolate/ strawberry lip gloss, it shimmered and it tasted like chocolate. I also remember Bubble Yum gum, being a big trade item!
That was fun!

Let me know if YOU do this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a child of the 60's, but I remember buying all those things for our 2 kids and my hubby and I loved The Dukes of Hazzard! lol (we are 60) fun to think back on all that stuff that was such a big part of your life!...debbie

Aunt Jenny said...

Loved your answers! I loved
Sweet Honesty too..wore it well into my 30's and would buy it again if I could get it!!
And boy, I wish I had a nickel for every time my mom (who was a hairdresser before retiring) has said these words to me " Let me do SOMETHING with THAT hair! A woman YOUR age should have short hair" Oh well. I doubt I will ever have short hair. I am glad to not be the only one.
It rained like crazy most all day here today...sigh. But I got some stuff (seeds I mean) started indoors and got some baking and laundry done..I guess that is good. Our garden got tilled once before the rain started.
Have a nice rest of the weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...