Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Our learning never stops,or should I say it shouldn't!

Funny thing how even when we're not inside doing book work for school that we end up digging out books and learning something new anyway. Yesterday while we cleaned out flowerbeds we found a pupa( see third picture below, I still can't get them in order)
The photo in one of our Butterfly and Moth books tells us this pupa, which we uncovered from the soil, will be a Moth. Then we investigated into trying to determine which type of Moth. BTW, we think our pupa will look like the middle picture in the book; they are called Elephant Hawk moths. Of course I am having Cortney read all about moths and what their life cycles are, all about metamorphosis, what they feed on, who are their predators, etc... She's enthralled and doesn't even know this counts as Science/ Biology, LOL!
I wish this picture wasn't so blurry, but my battery was running low. It shows how we found this pupa, in the ground and the picture to the right is what a Hawk moth looks like. We see them often around our flowers. They flit about like a Hummingbird, from one flower to the next. The book states they are nocturnal, thus the reason we see them mainly in late afternoon and into the evening hours while sitting out on our back patio.

Here is the photo of the pupa( click the photo to enlarge), kinda looks like a piece of poo! It's alive because it moved in Cortney's hand, she thought it was so neat, didn't scream like a girl or anything, LOL! We've placed it in a container, in the same soil we found it in and Cortney will watch for it to blossom/ hatch/ spring forth.


Well, only one flowerbed left to clean out and we saved the worst for last. The rose bed, it's always such a pain, literally. It's amazing just how wicked those thorn bushes can be. Well it's done for another year and I guess you'd say we're gluttons for punishment, because we transplanted two smaller offshoots to our front walkway beds. BTW This rose was the only flower here when we moved in 6 yrs ago. It's a beautiful pink tea rose and the ONLY rose I've not killed. The window behind the rose bush is our bedroom window and when in bloom the smell wafts in through that window and makes the whole house smell wonderful.




Here is a pile of the dead canes as well as some I thinned out, it was getting to thick and out of control. I tried to get a close up of the canes, so you could see the nasty thorns, but it was blurred. Just take it from me, they are my worst nightmare, good thing the Lord made them so beautiful and smell so heavenly.
Today's list included:
Mowing orchard areas
Cleaning up leaves from the fence across front of garden in the yard side
Get clothes in off the line, folded and put away
Play in the greenhouse
Possibly rototill across the front( right of way) so we can get wildflower seed sown, provided I can get the tiller started
Reg. chores
I wish some of you were closer, we could share/exchange flowers, we thinned sun chokes, day lilies, mountain bluebells and still need to thin our Maximilian sunflower. I also have extra strawberries and Egyptian walking onions I hope to find a home for.
Share a little about what you all have been up to this Spring.




































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really neat that you found a pupa! I hope is lives and will "come forth"! Wouldn't Courtney just love that! Thanks for the education. I have learned so much since I started Blogging in Dec! What fun this is!! I love roses. I have a climbing rose that friends gave me for my birthday one year and it smells really pretty too. Great Post!...debbie

MrsBumppo said...

Kelly,

Thanks for the education on the Elephant Hawk Moths. It was very interesting. I will have to have Marriah and Ethan come look at your pictures and read your info. Makes me want to look up this one type of larva I am always finding every year in our gardens/raised beds.

As for what we are up to. Getting ready to plant tomatoes and other veggie plants this week in the garden. I am so excited and bummed at the same time. Because I am only planting in our raised beds and not in our bigger gardens yet. :)

oh, btw...Bobby/Natty has been wanting me to ask you, who you where on the "Tree"?

blessings,
Gina

MrsBumppo said...

oh, my bad, I spelled your name wrong! I am so sorry!! I had just got done sending and email to a Kelly with the Y. Then I came her to read your blog and wasn't even thinking! Please forgive me!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

No problem Gina, I didn't even notice you spelled it wrong. On the Tree, I'm Homesteader1

Sure wish we were even close to planting tomatoes, alas we'll just be happy planting onions sets, potatoes and some seeds for herbs( dill, fennel, fenugreek and anise hysopp) Everything else is out until end of May. PTL we have our greenhouse to play in, we'll of course repot tomatoes, peppers and cabbage before transplanting into the garden.

Debbie,
Learning and keeping our minds active I believe is key. Especially in dealing with my Mom's issue of memory loss. Your brain is a muscle and we needn't let it get flabby. Our Ds, always calls me when he has a question, I guess he thinks I know everything, LOL! He asked me once how it is I know so much, my replt was of course I read, read, read.

I hope we get to watch it appear. Our Ds, Jon, had a cocoon, turned out it was a yellow swallowtail and we watched and watched and one day the kids had dentist appts. and when we returned home it was flitting about the cage. We all were so disappointed. I will say we've seen many more births, so we've far and away made up for that one miss.

Blessings to you both.
Kelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...