Monday, April 13, 2009

Cortney enjoying a ride with Mo!
To think, just two years ago, Cortney was scared of horses,
now she rides almost everyday and is working with Mo
on his neck reining as well as switching leads when loping
in a figure eight pattern. She's becoming quit the horse woman.

The bums, enjoying the sunshine and chewing their cud.
They spent the day in the garden, eating the old dried bean pods,
dried herbs and yes some green grass!


Next week they'll be returning to their farm, as they're about weaned
off the bottle and are eating quit well; hay, grass, weeds, and a grain
mixture with kelp.

It's becoming a routine, that is..... the wild turkeys coming to call.
Our toms begin gobbling and the hens yicking and soon in the
distance we hear a reply. Gradually it gets closer and closer, until..
we have a visual of the wild turkeys. There are two toms in this
wild flock, one being quit large and really knows how to strut his stuff!
I'm going to try to get a picture of them, but they are often gone before
it's light enough to use our camera.It's fun to watch the displaying of
our toms verses the wild toms. Ours were even stomping out their
mating dance, LOL!!!!

Today's list includes:
Make laundry soap
Laundry( washing and hanging outside)
Cleaning out the front flowerbeds( along the front walkway)
Raking up leaves in the front of the garden( just raking out into garden
to be tilled in)
Our normal daily chores( cleaning barns, dishes, cooking, tidying
the house a bit)
Sorting out our seed potatoes in the cellar, in prep for planting

If we get all of this done I will be thrilled!

It's kind of grey and gloomy outside, although it's still warm enough to
only need a sweat shirt or light jacket. Blue sky is coming, so praying
we have a sunshine filled day again.

May your day be filled with blessing and productivity.

























5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish that was me ridin' ole Mo!! I would hate to have to give my little lambs back - would probably make me cry. Will the wild turkeys fly into your Turkey pen? I would think you'd have a fierce ruckus if they did. Looks like your going to be busy today!...debbie

Jenny said...

Cortney looks great! We have Emily taking English riding lessons- that's all they offer here- and she loves it!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Debbie,
It is going to be hard to give the lambs back, they are so.... cute!
Last Spring we had two wild jakes( young male turkeys) come a courting. We let out one of our hens at a time and they mated with each hen, so we do have some wild bloodline in our flock.
If the Toms met up it would be a fierce fight, although I double anyone would fight to the death. I don't think they'd fly into our pen, for fear they wouldn't be able to fly back out.



Jenny,
I read on your blog that Emily was taking riding lessons. English is a good place to start, because you have to have good balance, and leg strength. I always prefered riding English to Western. Cortney isn't to hip on learning to ride an English saddle( we have one) she said it's so little and the stirrups are so tiny. I think she'll try it, but we have to let it be her idea. You should post some pictures of Emily riding, Cortney would love to see them.

Thanks both of you for your comments.

Tonya said...

How wonderful to be riding! Sarah, our five year old, is saving for a horse. She has a small container she puts her money in - we told her when she is ten.
Already, everything is horses to her....It is such a joy to watch individual and very different interests develop in each child.
Blessings on your day.
Tonya

Aunt Jenny said...

I would love that book list you told me about. I DO have eclectic taste in music for sure..I like it to have some energy I guess. And I like to be able to understand the words.
Mo is just beautiful. I sure miss my old Gelding, Mick. I had to find a new home for him when we moved here 7 years ago. He was old and had never lived in another climate besides the beach town we lived in where it is 75 degrees all the time. He was a great friend. Mona, my cow, has sort of taken his place in the big old friend department..but I miss him alot.
We have a storm blowing in this evening...it is dark and windy and feels like rain will hit any time..it has been gloomy and grey all day out. Darn...it was so nice yesterday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...