Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A realistic view of our kitchen today... and a recipe for enchilada sauce

Okay, here is how our kitchen looks on cold wintry days, laundry drying by the stove. We can get two loads on the racks, then it takes a day to dry them thoroughly.


This is the homemade enchilada sauce we made today. We really like it and will make the remainder of the tomato sauce, cooked down yesterday, in to enchilada sauce and can it for later use. Here is the recipe;
Red Enchilada Sauce
1/4 c. olive oil
1 med. onion chopped fine
1 tsp. cumin
1c. beef or chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2c. tomato sauce or 2 can tomato paste
1Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2-4 oz. ground chile's( substituted red pepper, 1/8 tsp.
1 tsp. chili powder)
sea salt

Saute' onion in oil, add cumin and let simmer, stirring often until, well amalgamated. Add stock and peppers, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add tomato sauce, vinegar, salt and garlic and simmer for 45 minutes.

We like our sauce mild, you can adjust the peppers to your tastes. I did add 1Tsp. of raw sugar, because our tomatoes are fairly acidic and needed to be sweetened a bit.



Whole wheat tortillas( this recipe can be found under our recipe tags)
1tsp olive oil, heat pan until hot, reduce heat( or in our case slide to a cooler part of the stove top) Let cook until lightly browned , turn over and do the same.
This is venison burger, onions and mashed pinto beans( some are still whole) and approx. 2c. enchilada sauce.
Place a health portion of the meat and bean mixture on the tortilla.
Add cheese, roll up and place in pan( you can see the pan in the background.) Once pan is filled, pour enchilada sauce over the top of the meat and bean tortillas, top with extra cheese and bake in a warm oven( 275-300F) for 20-25 minutes

Enjoy!


7 comments:

Tonia said...

That looks really good!!! I love Mexican food. I dont know if I could handle the laundry every where!lol

Andora said...

Absolutely Awesome!!!your blog really is....

Anonymous said...

I am definitely trying that enchilada sauce! thanks!!

Aunt Jenny said...

Yum! Looks and sounds great. We love enchiladas here and I am still drowning in tomatoes. I think I will have to can up some enchilada sauce..what a great idea!
I am ready to get my clothes drying racks back out now...it is cold cold cold out. But I can stick with the clothesline for a little bit longer I think. We haven't started using the woodstove much yet...none of us has been home for long enough at a time this week so far. That ends tomorrow and I will be here so I should at least get out the one rack, right?
I am due to make tortillas too. We love homemade ones so much..and we go through alot of tortillas every week. All my kids love them for snacks even.
have a great rest of the week!

Faith said...

MMMMmmmmmmmmmm... I love enchiladas!

I really do need to just take a bunch of my recipes and cut them down to size. I've spent my whole like cooking for a big family, and had such trouble adjusting down to just two. So silly, but it's really a challenge for me.

Is it too cold to dry outside already?

~Faith

Holly said...

Love this post-your kitchen looks very homey & that meal looks delicious! Love your new blog look. Holly

Millie said...

I love to see how your tortillas look. That is how mine turn out too. Not quite round. I'm making tortillas for tacos tonight. They are so much better than store bought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...