Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hello sunshine!

I just love to wake up to sunshine, although that doesn't happen now, as Fall wains into Winter. It's almost after 7 am before we detect daylight now*sigh* I have never understood the theory behind the time change and when it "Falls" back next month, it only makes it later in the morning before daylight shows itself. I, personally would rather have it daylight earlier in the day, rather than staying light later into the evening. When we were milking ( and hope to be again by the end of April, beginning of May) we milked and did chores in the dark morning and night, that gets old really quick.

Okay Cortney and I sat down yesterday morning and calculated up Addy's due date. When we hauled her over to the Bull, I thought the people would pay a bit closer attention to when they'd mated, but however they didn't and the only bit of info I finally dragged out of them was that they'd seen Abe mounting her on the 25th. So.... If we go off the date I had down for her heat cycle her due date would be around April 24-26, if I go off the info they shared it would be May4-6th. We'll be watching her close anyway, so with just a few days in between the dates we should be okay. I'm just looking forward to an easy birth, a healthy calf and the added bonus of milk! We've been dry for over a year now. For me it's not such a big deal,because I only use the cream in tea or coffee. I'm not much of a milk drinker, but..... I really miss fresh yogurt, cottage cheese, butter and a few other soft cheeses we make.

Poor Mo, a week and a half ago, had a swollen sheath. We ended up hauling him to the vet the following morning. I knew it wasn't due to his sheath being dirty, as my Mom had cleaned it just a few weeks earlier. I checked to see if he had a stone, sawdust or something causing the irritation the afternoon we noticed the swelling, and found nothing, he was clean. The the next morning the vet found a tiny nick on the outside of his sheath, and it was infected. She administered antibiotics IM and then also sent us home with a sulfur antibiotic powder to be mixed with some grain and fed twice daily. The vet also shared that the swelling would take time to come down but to keep an eye on it. He finished his sulfur powder a week ago and things were looking good,some swelling was still there, but no heat and it was decreasing. Last night I checked it and he was sore, not wanting me to touch, although there is no heat and the swelling has not increased. I'll be making a call to the vet to see where we need to go with his treatment from here. Poor fella, that isn't a good place to have swelling and tenderness.

Not much else going on around here, still working on apples, I'm sick of them but know what a blessing they'll be this winter. We also will be trying to get some of the flowerbeds areas semi cleaned up. I don't want to totally clean them as they might get damaged during the winter, but the hollyhock stems, sun chokes stems( need to harvest some tubers), gladiolas( need to be dug and stored in the cellar), irises, thinned and replant the ones thinned elsewhere and window boxes and other pots cleaned out and put in the garage. I tend to leave the wildflower dead stalks and pods until Spring, as a sort of mulch, and then shake off the seeds and clean the beds out thoroughly. I admit I'm a lazy flower gardener, I'd rather put my efforts into our produce gardens, but still love the flowers and range of colors and styles.

I better get the call into the vet and hang some clothes, on the line while the sun is shining.
Blessing for your day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry ole boy! Hope things get better pretty quick down under!! Do hope your pregnant in the cow department. Will be fun seeing a new born calf! We are having a beautiful sunny day with temp at 70! wheeee! and tonight is Trick or Treat! It will be nice for a change!...debbie

Kathryn said...

"Fall back" means that we sleep an hour later, have more AM sunlight & the sun sets an hour earlier at night. If it is setting at 6 PM now, after the "fall back" it will set at 5 PM.

I remember those short Montana winter days. My parents lived in the shadow of the mountain, & even tho the sun was "up" in the rest of the valley, they didn't have actual sunlight at their house until about 9 AM on winter mornings.

It is funny to hear the folks down the hill today talk about "how cold" it was this AM. I think the low there last night got to about 50 or 55! The low here last night was 18 & the water for the birds is still frozen this afternoon. I'm sure it is even colder where you're at.

Hope you're able to enjoy your sunshine. :)

Lynn Bartlett said...

I know how you feel about being tired of processing garden things -- I am still doing up tomatoes. Maybe within the week I'll be done, though! Thanks for the information on potatoes, it's always such a blessing to have someone that knows more than you do to ask for help.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Debbie, fortunately we don't get trick or treaters.
The vet is coming by to take a look, they tink it may need to be drained, that will give hm some relief.
I calf will be so fun to have around.

Kathryn,
Okay, you are right it is the Spring forward I don't like. I am blonde you know*wink*

It sounds as if you were cooler than we were, I beleive our low last night was 28F and today's high was 47F. The rest of the week is supposed to be into the mid to high 50'sF.

Lynn,
Thank the Lord we finished tomatoes a week or so back, but boy we have such a well stocked pantry and finally we won't have to worry about running out of this or that sauce,because we have enough extra tomatoe sauce to amek more if needed.

Glad to help with your spuds question. One thing I've learned is that nobody knows everything and we're never to old to learn.
Cortney and I managed to get three loads of laundry washed and hung outside, 10 qt. and 9 pts of canned apple sliced and canned then did all the basic everyday chores. I also worked at getting the spuds in the cellar( laid out on the shelves to dry) put into the spud bin. I put the largest on one side, the the medium and then the smaller ones. The really small ones, we bagged in netting and have them hanging up in the rafters, they work great for soups.

Take care and stay warm, I think we're getting a reprieve this week.
Blessings,
Kelle

Faith said...

You are getting so much done. What a happy blessing that you got so much produce to can this year. It feels so wonderful to pull out a jar of labor and love, and serve it at a family meal.

I am doing the same thing with my flowers. By next spring, the seeds will have dropped. Soil does not like to be bare anyhow. Might leave the old plants right there - right up until the seeds begin to sprout, if they beat the weed seeds. LOL What, am I dreamin'?

I always love to hear what's going on at your place. :o)

~Faith

Vickie said...

I was blog hopping and came across yours. Love the pictures of the animals! I just made up a batch of chicken noodle soup the other day. It's getting that time of year for a lot of soups. Take Care :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...