Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to work we go.....

Mike was off to work this morning, after having several days off before Christmas and in between Christmas and New Years as well.  I'm always sad to see him have to go back to work. We thoroughly enjoy spending time together as a family and these last few days were no different. We spoke of our plans of things we hope to accomplish do this Spring, Summer and Fall, we looked at seed catalogues and made plans for our 2011 gardening season( with the intentions of marketing more crops to make more of an income, " from the Farm") We're going to try a few new crops, and if they work out well will serve as dual purpose, providing a product of us and the leftover product will be used as feed for our cows and poultry. I'm not going to reveal this until we decide for sure this is what we intend to do and since it will be an experiment we can't vouch for how well we'll do. This falls in line with trying to be more self reliant and providing for our animals, ourselves and possibly making a bit of a income. 

We enjoyed the last of our Cinnamon Rolls, that Cortney and I made for Christmas, this morning.
The recipe always makes three big pans full. Most of the time I freeze two pans worth, but this time we shared with family and friends.

       I'm so excited that my rosemary is still alive. In the past I've tried to overwinter rosemary by mulching deeply, which was unsuccessful and then the following season by digging, re-potting and bringing indoors. Neither time was I successful  in keeping it alive. I decided to try one last time, as my rosemary plants grew so large and beautiful. I had this upright variety as well as a creeping variety, both were healthy and vigorous when I dug them and re- potted them, but sadly the creeping variety died off.  Our home is cooler and I was worried that, that was the cause of the dying off of the creeping variety, but the upright variety is robust, healthy and growing well.  I also have two other rosemary starts overwintering in the greenhouse, covered with a pot and mulched, so far so good( I peeked at them yesterday) and my creeping thyme is wintering well in the greenhouse as well ( this is the other perenial that I've struggled in getting to overwinter)

Time seems to be flying, by the end of February we'll be starting our seedlings and before you know it, it will be time to start planting. Before then I have several projects that I want to get accomplished. One of which I've put off for two years and does it ever show( I'll shamefully show you the mess, "before" and the cleaned up version, "the after")  Some painting, that needs to be finished in the living room and in our spare room, finish stripping the paint off the stairs and getting them sanded and refinished and I've got several craft projects to work on as well.   

Well, I'm off to get barns cleaned and take Cortney to work. PTL the bitter cold front( Canadian Clipper) has moved off and we're beginning to warm back up into the low to mid 30's F  and the sun is shining :o)

May your week be blessed.                        

11 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Your rosemary looks beautiful! We too are planning for spring with some exciting new projects in the works to help us in our self sufficient journey.

God Bless and stay safe and warm!

Barbara said...

It is good being back to normal, had running to do today, but home and relaxing now. Hugs my fried, thanks for stopping by my blog too.

Alla said...

Your rosemary looks good. Mine in the past have not fared well either but this year it's looking good (I left it outside) so hopefully it will make it, it does have some protection this year. You've really got me curious about your before and after pictures!! Hurry up, hurry up *Smile*

Modern Day Redneck said...

That is so funny. The wife and I looked at seed catalogs this weekend and made our list too.

Christmas-etc... said...

Those rolls look fabulous!! And I know what you mean about hubby returning to work; mine did too and I so missed him all day long (even though I was busy...it's just more fun being busy together!).
Your Rosemary looks very healthy... what a green thumb you have!
Blessings for a wonderful 2011!
Ann

Hopeful said...

i'm excited about your potential plans to grow some more/different plants and sell or at least be more self sufficient. i hope you all come up with a great plan and that it's successful! yum, the cinnamon rolls look great! glad it's warming up for you - the new picture is quite a contrast to the one that was just up there! wow, there's ground again, ha ha. glad you got to spend a lot of family time together. have a great week.

Tracy said...

Your post about your rosemary plant reminds me that I need to make a blog post about our green peppers. :) But I have lots of blog posts floating around in my head that never seem to make it to my actual blog - no time.

Hope your week is going great! Planning for the future and making goals is so exciting and fun, don't you think?

Faith said...

Kelle,

I'm so hungry and those rolls are to die for! YUMMY!

I think that's why Kudzu came here, a new crop. But the cows don't eat it. Goats do. If you want some goat feed, I'll ship you some kudzu. Otherwise, let us know how your experiment turns out - it sounds very intriguing!

I lost my rosemary again as well. I don't think I brought it in early enough, for one thing. I did start some rosemary seeds a month ago, however. So I hope to have some to plant ASAP. Yours looks so beefy-green.

I've been doing a lot of farm planning here, as well, this week. I can't wait for spring. In the mean time, there are things to get done inside and they are eating up my time like crazy. No fun to blog about, either.

Have a beautiful evening!

~Faith

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hello Sorry about the Canadian Clipper that would be from me. I was reading your blog and I too watched my husband go back to work after the holidays. I so enjoyed him home and it was nice that he did my chores. I will be back to visit again. Nice to read other farmers blogs. Peace.

MarkD60 said...

Yes, summer is coming, no time to waste!
I like it that your Rosmary made it!

Anonymous said...

I am already thinking I am behind in planted seeds inside. I need to get a handle on that. We warm up so quickly in April, I need to be ready! I am excited to hear what you decided (or don't decide) to grow on the farm. Emily

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...