Friday, January 7, 2011

Ever have a day....

when no matter what your plans were it just didn't work out? Well.... I've had one of those days for about a week, LOL!!!   I've been trying to get our spare room cleaned up all week and yep, you guessed it, I still haven't even cracked open the door.  It seems that by the time we do all of our regular chores, taking Cortney to and from work, twice a week, making a run to the city to stock up on preps before the next cold front moves in tomorrow and being just plain worn out I have yet to get to it*sigh* Well today...... after chores and getting bread started I'm tackling it head on! I know I won't get it completed today, but you need to start somewhere, right?  I'm ashamed to even take before photos, as it has been the catch all room for over two years and it's REALLY a mess!
             
           This is what I'd rather be doing( see below), relaxing and resting. Now don't get me wrong we did plenty of this over the holiday break and I guess it made me plum lazy or something, hee, heee  Kind of like when you get to much sleep, we call it a "sleep hang over", well..... I have a "take it easy hangover".*wink*

Part of this is due to our up and down weather this winter, for example we have a cold front that moves through for a few days and it's bitter cold with the windchills and then we have temps into the high 30's and even low 40's for a week, then another cold snap moves in. When it's nice outside, I long to be outside accomplishing something and yet there is little I can do outside at this point of winter. I've even toyed with getting something started in the greenhouse, but I know when the next cold front moves in that will put all the work to an end, so.... I hold off. This is hard and compounded by all the seed catalogs coming in the mail*wink* I'm eager to get some dirt under my nails!

The up and down weather has been harder than normal on Mike, especially since he's working out in the elements all day now. Although he says he's not getting cold with all his layers of clothing, he is exhausted when he gets home. I give praises to the Lord for our good health, even being out in the up and down weather, none of us have even had a sniffle. This is in part to the fact that we eat good foods( naturally grown and raised right here) and we do take supplements daily, Vitamin D3 being first and foremost( 5,000mg IU), as well as Fish oil, Ginseng( for immune function and stress relief), Bee pollen( it's termed as a super food), Vitamin B complex( for me) and Ginger( for Mike's digestion, he has a touchy stomach)

We're so blessed to have a well stocked pantry, especially with food prices skyrocketing. We went to the "city" yesterday to pick up supplies and really had to do some fancy figuring to get the items we were after, for the amount of $$ we had allotted. Funny thing is that the advertised price( with a coupon) was NOT a good deal, the better deals in all but one instance was to purchase store brand items. For example the toilet paper advertised with a $2 off coupon was still $2.50 higher( after the coupon) than the store brand TP at regular price and... with the store brand you got 10 more rolls. This was true of the paper towels, dish soap and forget the shampoo( there was no deal there at all !) Yet, Cortney and I both observed people's carts filled with the "On Sale, with coupons" items. It made me scratch my head and Cortney did as well. Can't people do simple math and figure out which is the best buy for their $$$ ?  Or have we become such a lazy society that we see a coupon and think, that's going to be the best deal without even comparison shopping.  Another observation we made was that people are still charging on their charge card*sigh*  What is going to happen when all of this credit bubble implodes?  The ramifications will be 200% worse than the housing bubble, which by the way will continue to implode as more and more people loose their jobs( due to lack of spending) and loosing their homes.  Sadly the majority of people are still living in La, La land.  Montana hasn't hit the bottom of the economic issues( actually the state is holding it's own right now), like CA and many other states but it is coming and it sure doesn't look good from our vantage point.

Feed costs are a growing concern for us, as we don't have enough land to be self reliant in that department. We can raise a portion of the hay we need but still have to purchase 3-5 ton each summer. The grain costs have risen 5-8% in the last two months and yet our sales of eggs has dropped off( partly due to slower production in winter). This is the reason we're downsizing our poultry flock, they are putting the pinch on our monthly budget and I'm tired of spending more on food for them than we spend on our own food. This is also another reason we are rethinking and adding to our dual purpose crops in the garden areas. The millet, extra pumpkins, turnips and extra beets have helped and all that is required is that we steam them down and cut into smaller pieces.

I advertised laying hens( not yet a year old and laying now) on Craigslist, in our area, and did not have one response. At first I thought it might be the price I was asking, then I did some research into replacement chicks for some of our old layer( soon to be soup hens) as well as meat type chicks and the average cost( including the s/h) was $3.50 to $4.25 each. I was only asking $10 each for ready laying hens( less than a year old) so in reality I'm loosing $$ at $10 each. So..... it was decided we'll keep these younger layers, butcher off all the older hens( 20+) and just purchase meat chicks this Spring.  We're also going to do rotations with our poultry pens, until we can afford the wire and posts to fence our entire property so they can free range without leaving our property and getting us into trouble with the neighbors( there is just something about a neighbor's garden that the chickens can NOT pass up). We'll divide their pen areas, plant with a grain cover crop and let grow, when it's establish we'll rotate and do the same of the bare pen. This should help with our feed costs as well as build better immune function for the birds and the egg yolks  will be orange :o)

Well, I'm off to get the bread made and rising then off to clean barns and back inside to.......... tackle the spare room mess, LOL!!!!!

Wish me luck!  May you all have a blessed weekend. :o)

15 comments:

mmpaints said...

LOL Kelle! We are kindred sirits, you and I. LOL Oh to be a dog, eh?

Phelan said...

On the feed front, you might look into buying out a farmers field. We have a small scale farmer nearby and we made him a deal to buy out his entire 40 acres. We got a deal, good one, instead of $80 a bale (specialty hay) we now average $45 a bale. And we don't have to worry about finding it else where the next year. He is guaranteed to sell out of his hay no matter if we use it all or not, instead of sitting there with a chance of going to rot. Win win

Mama Mess said...

Hi Kelle,

Glad to hear you are all staying healthy this winter. I know the feeling of not being able to get it in gear, I think it's a side effect of wintertime! LOL!

I think some people just won't buy anything but name brand no matter the cost. We grocery shop at Aldi and have never shopped anywhere else. There are certain things they don't carry (whole wheat flour and such) that I have to buy elsewhere, but if I can buy it there I do. It is good quality and sooooo much cheaper! I think some folks just won't buy store brands. I stand in the aisle with my calculator to find the best deal and I don't care who has a problem with it!

Good luck getting your room done today!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

I have to apologize to Diane-Sage Whiteowl; my Daughter was checking email and instead of publishing she clicked delete, so... you comment didn't publish. I copied and pasted it here from our email. Again, so sorry this happened. Thank you for your comment, it would be nice to have no worries in the world wouldn't it?LOL!!


Diane-Sage Whiteowl said.....

Yep I know exactly what you are saying...and I am looking at Zuni as she lays in her warm bed and has no cares in the world. Oh to look at life the way our pets do!

MMpaints,
To be any of our animals would be nice. I've always said that our animals want for nothing. *wink*
I think we must have been cut from the same cloth anyway, LOL!!!

Phelan,
We do sort of do this with our hay, we have a standing order for 5-7 ton with a friend who hays for part of their income. The grain grown around here are 99% GMO, so it's hard to buy in bulk.

Goodwife,
I know people are like that,buying only name brand and sometimes the store brand stuff can be a lesser quality but for TP, paper towels, plastic bags, shampoos? Yet they complain about the prices and how crunched their grocery budget is. Maybe they'll wake up, for their sake and the sake of their children I hope they do so soon.

It's coming along quicker than I thought, part of it is stuff Jon left behind, trying to decide if we should try to store it or simply give it away*sigh*. I think that is part of the reason I've been putting this job off, not knowing what to do with his stuff.

Blessing and Hugs to each of you,
Kelle

Nita said...

Hi Kelle, Cortney and Mike,
Just watching your blog makes me giggle. You and your animals, what a great way to spend your time. I know it gets expensive but I'm so proud of you the way you seem to put things into perspective. You three are an inspiration to many young couples in the world...my, most want instant gratification with homes, cars, jobs and every item in their homes. Most don't or do they want to learn how to shop or what you do. Keep up the great work....who cares if that room doesn't get done where Jon's stuff is in....put it in a box and in the garage...prayers that he will someday come home. Or maybe you do need to get that room cleaned and a nice bed for me....LOL. Love you as you are, the greatest. Love and miss you all. Gram Nita, Mom

Kat said...

Kelle, I have one of those spare bedrooms too!!! lol. Enjoyed your post.

Modern Day Redneck said...

Kelle,
Stop sweating the small stuff, you know it will all work out. (That's my New Years goal by the way)
It's not just you, I am having trouble selling chickens this time of the year as well, I always do. You can blame it on the cost of feed and people do not want to winter them or during winter time is when they do not lay as much. For my parts, spring and early fall are the best time to advertise on Craig's list. Most of the time I can't keep enough on hand. That is why we are expanding this year and hatching as many as we can.
Keep your chin up.

Modern Day Redneck said...

Oh, one more thing. My Dad has ten times the chickens I have. He takes grain carts to the feed mill and fills them with different types of grains. The end result is he makes his own feed by adding protein and mixing the grains together. The cost per 50lbs drops to almost nothing.
Just a thought.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Nita,
There is a bed in the room, a nice twin bed, but until today it was buried, LOL!!!! I did get about half the junk cleaned out of the room. So far two garbage bags of old bills and taxes( from 1988 up to 2000), boxes we'd saved and now decided we don't NEED and a bag of clothes from both Jon and Cortney to donate. There is also ba bag of toys to donate.
Cortney was inspired and cleaned out her room as well( I'd have done far more*wink*, but it's a start) She is a packrat and can't stand to throw away anything, me I'm the opposite, LOL!!!!
I hope to finish the room and get things rearranged so I can work on repainting the camoflauged wall, actually the whole room needs a new coat of paint.

Then we hope to be able to have room for our sewing machines and craft table :o)

Thank you for your praises and compliments and the bed is here and waiting anytime you want.
Love ya!

Kat,
Glad to kow we're not alone*wink*
BTW, thank you for your email it was of great help, now it's convincing Mike that will take some doing, LOL!!!!

Blessings for your weekends,
Kelle

Denise said...

My hubby was thinking about doing the cover crop thing for our chickens too. Are you going to plant clover or what? He was thinking of white clover as the other clovers get too big or so we were told by someone. But I think any kind of grain would be good. I have lots of seed catalogs to look through and dream. LOL

Faith said...

Feed costs are really going to hurt in the coming year. It's one thing to raise your own food, and it's quite another to raise your food's food.

I'd sure love to have enough land to pasture feed enough animals to support us.

I wish I'd gotten my greenhouse done, but like you, with this weather, not a lot would have survived in there anyhow. Not without several layers of Agribond or like product, and I'm just not prepared for that as yet.

Time to put a 5 by 10 by 10 manure pit in the greenhouse?

Aaaaaaaaah.... such nice warmth. LOL And organic, too!

~Faith

Mary Ann said...

Just found your blog... the banner is awesome... if that is what you have canned in the last year, I am mightily impressed and your family is very lucky. In reference to your chickens... we raise them, too, but don't eat them, as we don't really prefer chicken. I like your idea of rotational grazing... ours have access to our pasture, and we find it keeps their yolks nice and orange! I'll check your blog frequently for it's great ideas... and thanks for the super links!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Redneck,
Thanks for your comments and ideas! I'm not sweating the chickens, we've already decided what their fate is. We mix our own feed, it's just finding the grains and corn that isn't GMO for a reasonable price.

Denise,
We were thingking of planting a mix of Spring wheat, barley, oats and buckwheat. All grow well in our area.
Even after 25 yrs of gardening, I still dream when the catalogs come! Further yet I draw up plans, adjust and re-adjust*wink* Thanks for stopping in and chatting, we love it!

Faith,
I agree with you, especially when you ahve small acreages.

The manure pit works! I build those raise beds and added fresh manure under the topsoil(under 6-8inches of topsoil) it heats the soil as it composts as well as feeds the roots. :o)

Mary Ann,
So... glad you found our blog too! hank you for your compliment of our Banner. I will admit not all of those canned items were done this last Fall, but approx 88% was canned this Fall! It's amazing how quickly the shelves gain back emepty spaces and the jars get packed away until the following Fall.
Butchering and eat chickens isn't for everyone. I agree about the yolks being pumpkin orange :o)
We'll be looking for your future visits, and you're welcome for the links. Thank you for stopping in to chat, we love it!

Blessings for your weekend,
Kelle

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Redneck,
Thanks for your comments and ideas! I'm not sweating the chickens, we've already decided what their fate is. We mix our own feed, it's just finding the grains and corn that isn't GMO for a reasonable price.

Denise,
We were thingking of planting a mix of Spring wheat, barley, oats and buckwheat. All grow well in our area.
Even after 25 yrs of gardening, I still dream when the catalogs come! Further yet I draw up plans, adjust and re-adjust*wink* Thanks for stopping in and chatting, we love it!

Faith,
I agree with you, especially when you ahve small acreages.

The manure pit works! I build those raise beds and added fresh manure under the topsoil(under 6-8inches of topsoil) it heats the soil as it composts as well as feeds the roots. :o)

Mary Ann,
So... glad you found our blog too! hank you for your compliment of our Banner. I will admit not all of those canned items were done this last Fall, but approx 88% was canned this Fall! It's amazing how quickly the shelves gain back emepty spaces and the jars get packed away until the following Fall.
Butchering and eat chickens isn't for everyone. I agree about the yolks being pumpkin orange :o)
We'll be looking for your future visits, and you're welcome for the links. Thank you for stopping in to chat, we love it!

Blessings for your weekend,
Kelle

small farm girl said...

Kelle, we are going to butcher our older hens too. Plus, downsize the chicken "herd". hehehe. I just can't see paying all that money for their feed and people no wanting to pay for eggs. Yep, we are also looking into other sources of feed for them. Good luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...