Friday, January 14, 2011

Fhoto Friday ( heavy laden with photos), a little of this and that

This morning started off with making some steamed veggies for the poultry. This is not only good for their health, it also is a supplement to our feed bill and uses up culled veggies from the root cellar !  The zucchini have kept very well ( from a late Aug. 2010 harvest) but you can see that that they are beginning to yellow and soften. As per, making the best of what you have, we weekly check the root cellar, and cull anything that is beginning to breakdown. It is either used in one of our meals, it's dehydrated or fed to the animals.

 Now I was experimenting and while I didn't get pictures of the carrots themselves( sorry), these are carrots from our 2009 garden, yep it's been well over a year since they were harvested( Sept. 2009) from our garden. I've been experimenting with the best ways to store root crops and my findings are; they keep very well in totes filled with dirt. I tried straw last season, only to find that the carrots and beets began to mildew because our root cellar has high humidity and the straw absorbed the moisture, thus making the root crops mildew. The mildew was caught early enough that we suffered very little loss. I also topped some and stored them in ziploc bags( sealed) in the refrigerator, the shredded carrots( below) are examples of how well they kept. Now they were sprouting roots and new tops, but were still firm and very sweet.  I steamed the carrots, it seems the poultry appreciate them more if steamed, yes I know they are spoiled( rotten,LOL!)
Then it was off to get the small coop cleaned while we have a break in the weather. Cortney dons on Mike's respirator( you don't want to breath the dust, you can pick up Hanta Virus from mouse droppings and we certainly have mice*wink*)
                    The litter has been nicely stirred by the chickens for almost 8 months and has broken down and composted well.
 This was originally sawdust shavings and now is broken down nicely and ready to be added to the compost heap. I also added a thin layer to the raspberries as well as a bit in the green house beds( not to much though)
 This is now how it looks now( below) and how it looked 7-8 months ago. See what good composters the chickens are*wink*

 Our chickens are divided into two flocks at the moment( due to space) Everyone appears to be wintering well.
 This is our larger flock and with exception to the Black Austrolope rooster( who's decided to molt right NOW!), everyone, even our oldest( pet hen, who BTW is almost 9 yrs old) as well as our pet tom, "Snowball" who is almost 8 yrs old are looking very healthy.
 The 9 yr. old hen is the hen on the lowest roost,on the right hand side, doesn't she look good and you know what, she lays once or twice a week, still.
 Here is Snowball, he's looking good as well and his estimated weight is close to 50lbs !
Here are the turkeys, our Narraganset hens and tom, a Bourbon Red tom and a Bronze hen(Lucy and she is 5 yrs old and a wonderful mama) We're praying for better hatches this year. We're also actively looking for a Bourbon Red hen for our tom.
Now to the green house, it's probably 20+ degrees warmer in the greenhouse than outside. So this is when it's time to get all the prepping done, so planting of cold tolerant crops can take place early next month.
 You can see I've already applied some well composted manure and on top of that a light layering of the composted chicken house litter. The pots are covering some of my herbs, such as stevia, rosemary creeping thyme and root beer hyssop.
 The Rosemary is winter well, it is from seed that I started last Spring and I have hopes that it will take off as soon as the cold temps. head out.
 Shows the two composted manures added to the beds, soon to be worked into the soil.
 Potting benches are waiting to be used. I still have to sanitize all of my starter pots by washing in warm water with a little bleach added and letting them dry in the sunshine.
 This is Bee balm, saved for seed, it's still beautiful and the smell is out of this world( wish you could smell it)
Now the frosting, so to speak, a little gypsum and wood ash.  Before you know it we'll have pictures to share of our salad greens :o)
 Mike's been off work most of this week. The ground is frozen and the next job they have involves planting 6x6's. Praying it warms up enough to thaw it enough for their auger to bust through. Anyway we've enjoyed him being home and he's finished many odds and ends projects. One of those is to switch out the F-11 loader from one tractor to the other. I wasn't able to photo the transfer, as I was busy helping by driving one of the tractors. It was a blessing the switch went relatively smooth. The one tractor's motor is tired and needs to be overhauled but in the meantime we need use of the bucket, thus the reason for the transfer.
 All lined up and bolted onto the rear axle
 Now Mike has to manufacture a bracket to finish the mounting to the front frame work.
The tractor( yes we are a International Harvester; "Farmall" farm, because we can afford red and NOT green tractors, LOL!!!) in the background is the tractor in need of being rebuilt.  The transfer was successfully completed. :o) Now he can push the manure pile up to complete the composting, as well as make room for more fresh manure.
The hay is holding up well, we used approx. 2 ton thus far and the Button and Hoss seem to really enjoy it.

 Button knows I put their  mid morning hay( usually just loose hay swept down from the hay loft) out and she is waiting to be let out.
 Here is "Hoss", now 8 months old. He is still on the bottle, but is being weaned off at this time, with hopes of weaning being complete by mid to end of Feb. We are supplementing him with some calf manna( all natural)  While he's not a prime Angus specimen, he's crooked in the hindend, it doesn't matter to us.
 He's growing nicely and we can handle him, he is halter broke, and he is NOT a pet like Button. His time here is limited.
Button enjoying her mid morning snack, Hoss is busy licking on the mineral supplement  before Button finishes her hay, LOL!!!! 

All of these photos were taken today, before noon. Our weather is warmer, warm enough that we did NOT stoke the wood stove during the night, last night and when we got up at 5:30am this morning the inside temps was still 65F., down from 74F.  A bit of a temperature drop has occurred outside in the last few hours and our inside temps has dropped to 60F, so I started a small fire in the wood cook stove to warm the house back up a bit.
Now that Mike has the loader on and working, he has come in to share that it is to slick to push the manure pile up today. We need new tired for this tractor, we do have a better set to switch out to but new tires are out of the question right now as they cost approx. $900 each! Makes me wonder how the farmers afford tires for their HUGE tractors. Mike said the tires for those tractors run approx. $1,500 to $2,000+ each. and some have four tires on each axle< double gulp> LOL!!!  
Mike says he may be able to come up with chains, but is worried that this will do damage to our pastures, so.... we'll wait.
Blessings for your weekend :o)

16 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Loved seeing all the pictures. You've sure been busy! God Bless!

Jamie said...

Kelle,
You have lots of animals,so do you butcher the turkeys and the cows???I can't believe all those turkeys,I am amazed on your variety.
Shane is wanting to sell off all the chickens BC of the price of feed(it seems to be going up all the time)BUT I am trying to hold my ground,I love my girls.
How much do you want for those cards or things you were talking about????I haven't heard of those.Shane works well with Zachary on his MATH,he uses this selling eggs and chickens tactic)it seems to work out well.
Blessings

Alla said...

I love your greenhouse!! I must build me one this year, it is on the to do list. I have bee balm too and it does smell so good. Nice pictures and update. If Hoss time is limited it must mean one thing so cares if he's not prime or has a crooked hind end. It will taste good because he was home grown. *SMILE*

Cheryl said...

Enjoyed all of your photo's. It must be so nice to have a green house. The thought of being able to start salad greens next month would be so nice:-) I enjoy the winter months but would love to get my hands in the dirt earlier! Your animals look great!! I had no idea that zucchini would keep that long. We don't have a root cellar, we are able to keep the late things most of the winter in our garage.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hello I love the name of the cow.LOL. I only drive red too. I like your photos a real working farm. I love turkeys. We bought new tractors last winter ouch. Talk to you later. Keep up the good work. B

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

GW,
Thank you :o) I just finished up my( oh so late) letter to you*wink* I'll get it in the mailbox tomrrow. Thanks for stopping in.

Jamie,
The wrap ups are free, if you want to cover postage that would be appreciated. Let me find them and I'll let you know which ones we still have and then we'll get a shipping cost.:o)
I understand about feed costs that is why we supplement their feed as much as possible in winter and the rest of the seasons they can free range to help supplement their feed. :o)
Thanks for your comments.:o)

Alla,
Yes, Hoss will be in the freezer in a year and a half. We don't care if he is physically a perfect specimen, just thought somebody might notice his crooked rear.*wink*
I hope you get a greenhouse build, we've had so much fun with ours and while we're still learning, this is what makes it so much fun!
As I was handling the Bee balm, the smell was almost intoxicating, LOL!!! The whole green house smelled lovely. :o)
Thanks for chatting, blessings for your weekend.

Cheryl,
Thank you for your compliments. As for the zucchini, we don't keep it in the root cellar, the humidity is to high and the mold to quickly, so instead we keep them in our downstairs pantry in a basket. Give it a try, maybe a cool closet in your home would work too. If your garage is not insulated they might freeze if it were to get below zero. Thanks for stopping in. :o)

Buttons,
You know how she got that name? When we brought her and Addy home she was just a month old and everyone that saw her said," Oh, she's cute as a button!" That is how she got her name, LOL!!!
I knew it a fellow "RED" owner!*wink* I bet a new tractor was OUCH! They come mighty dear, even when they are 20+ yrs old :o)
Yes, a working small farm! It's all we can do to keep it all up and running. Couldn't imagine owning a large ranch.
Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your weekend.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

Kelle,

Thank you for such an informative post.

I'm amazed at the longevity of your summer squash. Your house is above 60, yet you are able to keep it in a basket in the closet, for months! This is wonderful, and I hope I can do the same.

I'm also amazed at how well your home holds heat. If it's in the 20's here, the house drops by 5 degrees every hour without heat. What a blessing to have such a snug home that holds the heat. I used to heat our home in CA with only wood, and it was a lot of work to keep it stoked, and the mornings were freezing - in a mild climate.

I also want to thank you for the information on how you were getting your greenhouse prepped. I so wish I'd gotten my poly up, but the weather has been too cold to do so. We haven't had a single day in two months that reached 60 without wind. It seems another whole year will go by without the use of one, unless I can get it up in time so at least use it for starting seedlings this spring.

But your temps are good. It must be the double insulation keeping it 20 degrees warmer. I've been reading articles that say by morning, the temps are only a few degrees warmer than outside.

I wish I could send you some green tractors. We have a huge plant right here in town. My daughter even worked there, putting tractors together. Perhaps you can do what we did when I was a kid, we just painted everything green. Not to fool anyone, but green tractors looked better in brown fields than red ones. LOL

~Faith

Hopeful said...

really enjoyed all the pictures and watching your progress! wow, you've been very busy and i can just envision your garden. thanks for showing your chickens, too - boy, you must treat them right to have some of them at their age! nice. question... can you layer some compost on a garden plot WHILE growing, or do the compost layers have to be layed down and then waited on before planting?

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your post and all the photos!! So much to do when you have animals. Sometimes we who live in town, or out of town but no animals forget about all the chores you have to do!! Enjoyed it...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Faith,
I guess I wasn't clear, the inside temp of the green house at approx. 11:30 am was 20 degrees warmer than outside. What your read is correct by the next morning it's only 3-4 warmer than the outside temp. Unless we want to heat it we'll have to wait until all the bitter, bitter col temps are done and then we'll plant cold tolerant crops and we'll also cover them with a frost cloth( adds up to 8 degrees protection)

Mike was reading your post and said, she's a green tractor lover! Look at her comments about green looking better than red in a brown pasture*wink* He says we'll stick with red,thank you, LOL!!!! If we could afford "green" he'd most likely own one too*wink* What we've found( in our area) if it's green it costs 20-30% more than red or orange and the parts for repairs do as well*double wink*LOL!!!!

Hopeful,
Our animals are spoiled and if you are deemed a pet you'll have a wonderful long life, unless there is something wrong we simply can't treat( which doesn't happen often)
I layer composted manures throughout the season, the chicken manure you just want to be careful that it's not to green, or you'll burn your plants, it's high in nitrogen and urea( typically I just add this in the Spring and Fall, before planting and after the garden is finished) I also make a compost tea and water my tomatoes and peppers( heavy feeders) once a month.
You can also compost manure right in place in your garden, it's calledditch mulching. You simply dig a ditch add fresh uncomposted manures and kitchen scraps, then cover with solid and let sit for the winter months, then the beds will be ready for planting in the Spring. You can also do this throughout the season, alternating and using your paths as the next beds. I hope you understand what I'm trying to convet. :o)
Blessings for your weekend, when is your trip to AZ?

Debbie,
Glad you enjoyed the tour and I'm sure and I know you have your chores, just maybe not all animal related*wink* Glad Cooper is growing, he's so.... cute! Thanks for your comments :o)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Hello Kelli that is how I got my name LOL. I meant to say we bought new (tractor tires) last year. I don't think we will be buying new tractors anytime soon.
About your question on my blog. I am in Ontario Canada.
Our Journey starts with the Post Dreams do come true and the journey from there. Your Grandmother is smart AZ warm. B

Mel said...

Hi Kelle,
It was so nice to see you stopped over for a visit today. Oh yes, we have a zero tolerance policy here for aggressive roosters. Rusty is tame...

I really love your green house, so wish I had one...

Your chicken coop is set up much like ours, I made a ladder for ours a few years back (makes cleaning easier.)

Getting a snow storm today, and the chill is back, woke up to single digits this morning.

I'm also fond of Farmall's as that is what my grandfather used, however, we have just recently purchased a Montana. Couldn't afford the green ones either... LOL

Have a safe and warm weekend,
Mel

Anonymous said...

Great photos. So nice to see the different things you are working on around your home in a morning. The birds all look so healthy and happy! I love the smell of Bee Balm. I have never been successful at starting their seeds, so I transplanted some plants from my mom's in MN to my house in TX this past fall. Crossing my fingers that they will thrive! I know once it grows I will be fine & it will re-seed nicely! Emily

Lois Evensen said...

What a great update and post. Thank you so very much. I love seeing what is happening there and learning at the same time.

Hugs,
Lois

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Just found your blog and I am really enjoying it! I did a farm update on my blog today too! I definitely need to get me some turkeys to go with all my other farm animals. Come over and visit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...