Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cabbage buns how to.......

                     
The last of the "Cinderella Pumpkin" and "Late Dutch Cabbage" from the root cellar. The cabbage has been in storage for 6 months and when in storage for this long, the color tends to fade from the leaves, although it keeps the same crisp texture and flavor, after.................
You peel away the dehydrate and thin leaves, so as time progresses, the original head will be smaller, after you peel away the outer dried and thinned leaves


The head with all dried and thinned leaves peel away, it still weighs 8-10lbs. The leaves taken off will be fed to the chickens, they love them!
All chopped and ready to be added to the browned burger. The burger is browned with onions, lots of minced garlic( we love it!), sea salt and pepper. Then the cabbage is added with about 1/3 c of water to steam over low heat.  While this is steaming, we move onto making our whole wheat bread dough.

The recipe for this bread dough is found here

                                   This is our first double yolk egg of 2011 :o)
                          Yeast added
      Mixing and adding alittle flour as needed. You don't want to add to much flour, as your bread will be dry and crumbly.
    It's okay if your dough is sticky. You'll want to lightly flour the work surface and commence kneading. I ALWAYS knead for a minimum of 8 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, if needed for proper elasticity
                           Lightly flour your hand and knead with the palms of your hands.
     When 8 minutes of kneading is finished push your knuckles into the dough, it should spring back to shape if it has proper elasticity, if not, knead alittle longer and check again.
 Place in a well greased bowl in an area, warm and free of drafts, cover with a tea towel and let rise until double it's original size.
                         Covered and on the table next to the wood stove, let the rising commence!
   Since the Dutch cabbage was so pale, I added 1/4 head of red cabbage we also have stored in the root cellar.  Okay, that's alittle more interesting, but.... how about some
                   Carrots, another root crop from the cellar, as was the onion and garlic that were used 
 The first rise is complete and now............................
                       PUNCH it down, I love this part :o)   I always work the dough back into a well rounded ball and cover rise a second time.  When second rise is complete( about 15 to 20 minutes), punch down again and work into a nice shaped ball.   Pinch off the size, a little smaller than a baseball( see below)

 Pat it out flat, until approx. 1/4" thick and add 1/3c.( approx.) of the cabbage/ meat filling.
 Fold over and pinch down the edges, if some liquid is leaking, you can roll and pinch the edges for a better seal.
Here is the first pan, Ummmmm, Ummmm, sure wish you could smell them.  The bread recipe will make 12 cabbage buns. I doubled it so we'd have some for the freezer( quick spring or summer meals*wink*)

Now give it a try, you won't be disappointed :o)   Be creative you can also substitute a loose sausage, maybe spicy *wink*   Sometimes if I have cooked brown rice on hand I'll add 1 cup or so of that too. :o)
Just makes them more hearty and filling.   Enjoy!


13 comments:

HossBoss said...

Empanadas! Yum! Thanks for sharing Kelle. I am always looking for ways to get another vegetable down Yeoldfurt. Cooking them with meat and spices and wrapping them in bread is always a winning strategy. LOL

Anonymous said...

OH Yummo!! You ought to have us all over for lunch so we could taste this fine cusine!! Looks very good and I can almost smell it!! ...debbie

Tonia said...

Those look good!!!

Nita said...

Yum, yum...I used to make those buns the same way. Great dinner, makes me wanting to make them again.
Love your great find at your favorite store. Now you have something to do....like you haven't been doing alot. Love to read your stories.
Have you really missed milking? I know the milk is nice but brrrrr.
Our weather has been more snow too, and below 0 temp.. Been a long winter and we have a few months left. I've been reading ebooks to keep me going when not working. Really need to paint the back bedrooms...Cortney, must be time to visit...
Love and miss ya.

MarkD60 said...

Wow, those look really good.
I doubt I could do it though. Seems too technical.

becky3086 said...

These really do look great.

Mr. H. said...

Very nice, we will definitely have to try this recipe. Your cabbage looks great.

Hopeful said...

wow,that looks delicious! i bet it's such a great feeling to get things from the cellar and bring it out. i bet you guys enjoyed it! hope your whole weekend was relaxing.

Mama Mess said...

Yuuuumy! Hey thanks for that bread tutorial. I want to make bread without my bread machine and I've tried, but it just turns out much nicer with using my machine for the dough cycle. I like what you said about how to check if you've kneaded enough. Thanks!

Ps....you'll have a letter from me soon and thanks for the card! ;)

hugs to ya my dearie!

Unknown said...

Oh yum! I want to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn in NM said...

I had to try your bread recipe and LOVED it!!!! Thank you so much for sharing it. We fix Bierocks pretty much the same way you fixed your cabbage buns. I shared mine on my blog which were not real 'bierocks' because I didn't have any cabbage...lol. I hope you don't mind, I shared your bread recipe, too. I LOVE IT!!!!
Thanks for so much inspiration!
Hugs,
Marilyn in NM

Marilyn in NM said...

Thanks for the tip on the Birdseed Bread. I'll definitely have to try it. I noticed in the recipe you use grapeseed oil, it's my favorite. I love cooking with it and olive oil. I also only use sea salt. I'll have to get to our natural grocers to get some of the seeds soon.
thanks again,
Marilyn in NM

Tracy said...

That is like my favorite food ever! Can I come visit?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...