Monday, July 20, 2009

What's up on the farm?

Hooray! Mike's on vacation! He's already getting started on the barn.
Tomorrow Jon is coming up to lend a hand( or two*wink*) Yes, Mike
is wearing a harness. It's tied off to the tractor on the opposite
side of the barn.

The pitch of the barn roof is fairly steep and as you can see it's a long

fall to the ground. I'll get pictures as the get the metal on and then a

final picture. When this is done we still have 7 ton of hay to get home

(when second cutting is finished) and build the add on roof to the back

of the barn, for firewood storage as well as extra hay. Somewhere in

before the weather gets to cold we're planning to get the barn and

outbuildings painted; RED, of course*wink*

This is an updated shot of the first planting and second planting of corn.

You also can see the cucumbers, bush beans, rhubarb, and asparagus

( bottom right). We have cukes that are pickling size, but we aren't

making many pickles this season. We can and grow certain crops

every other year.

The Kentucky Wonder(OP) have literally gone wild! I've never had this

many climbers. I pray they produce as well as they've grown.

These are absolutely my favorite flower; single, old fashioned

hollyhocks. This season we have light pink, medium pink, dark pink,

peach, white and burgundy. I'd love to find a yellow to add to our

collection.

If you go back a few blogs you'll see a picture posted of our comfrey,

I'd harvested it. I can't believe how quickly this has come back, looks

like another bountiful harvest coming up shortly, PTL!

Here is our front door and screen door all freshly painted. They were

an ugly brown, now a crisp Timberland Green. My plan is to get as

many of the windows, in need of scrapping, sanding, priming and

and painting done this Summer and Fall
.

From a distance, you can see, if you click to enlarge, that I still need

to get the trim above the door painted. I don't like ladders, so need

to haul out a sturdy chair and get it done!

This is the outside entrance to the basement/pantry. It was peeling

and looked awful, looks 200% better with two coats of fresh paint.

The door( you can see part of it to the left of the photo) leads into

our mudroom/laundry room.

This door is inside the mud/laundry room and it also leads to the

basement/pantry. I took this picture to show the color that will be on

the upper portion of the walls, above the tongue and groove cedar,

which will be 4 ft., from the floor up. As I grow older I get bolder

with my color of paint choices. I like this color and will get a couple

of shades darker for the trim around the window and doors.

What do you think, be honest, I have a thick skin*wink* I know green

isn't for everyone.


6 comments:

Tonia said...

I have painted some bold colors!! Lol It looks good! Yeah on getting the barn roof done. THere is always things that need to be done aren't there?

Anonymous said...

Nicely done. That roof pitch sure is steep. My little cottage has a 12/2. You barely have to lean over when standing up. :) I love the door with your sunflower wreath on it. Sweet.

small farm girl said...

I like the color. It's earthy.

Jordan said...

Hi, I'm enjoying reading your blog. What do you do with your comfrey after you harvest it? I have a ton of it at my new house, but don't know what to do with it.
Thanks-Jordan

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Tonia,
You nailed it when you said there is ALWAYS something to be done, hence how our farm got it's name.

Stitch in Thyme,
Love your blog name!
Since I don't do heights well 12/2 doesn't mean much to me but Mike said that is pretty steep, more than he's like dealing with.
The sunflower wreath is on our front door, which we rarely use, because our driveway pulls around back of the house and we use the back door as our main entrance 99% of the time. Eventually the plan is to remove the tiny front porch and add a whole enclosed front porch across the front of the house. It's on the North side so stays to coolest in summer.

SFG,
Are you putting any colors in your new home? Actually paint is the cheapest way to make a room look entirely different and if you don't like it it's an easy change, just a little labor and more $$ for paint.

Jordan,
Welcome, glad your came to visit. Well comfrey leaves and flowers are have wonderfully high anticeptic properties, as well as healing. This is ONLY for external use, never to be take internally. About the only other herbs with such healingand natural antibacterial properties are Plantain, Calendula and Yarrow and all of those may be used internall, in moderation.

You can make a quick poultice by chopping or pounding comfrey and applying directly to a wound, holding it in place with a cotton wrap or gauze.
I also make a salve with comfrey tea, bees wax and lard. If you'd like the recipe I'll dig it out and post it to the blog.
It's truly a wonderful herb and a beautiful plant for anyones garden.

Hope to see you again soon*wink*

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Stitch in Thyme,
Oppps, 12/2 isn't so bad, I misunderstood him, sacrastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...