Friday, July 17, 2009

I'm still here, missing Cortney and her help; ALOT!!!!

Good day,

I'm still here, but with Cortney in ND with MIL I'm doing a three person job alone.

I had all these plans of painting, mudding and taping and more priming and painting, but with all the regular chores, the garden, yard and such I simply don't have the time, nor the energy to do anything else.*sigh*

Yesterday Cortney's Dexter heifer was acting like she wasn't feeling up to par, then I saw her poo! It was very watery, so in the house to round up some yogurt, Carbo Veg.(homeopathic treatment for stomach upset) and Yarrow. I also grabbed the thermometer to make sure she didn't have a temp. Her temp. was normal, eyes bright, just acting sluggish and loose stools. So..... I filled a 30cc syringe with yogurt, now mind you our other cows like this, so no problem giving it, but since it was evident something didn't agree with her she DIDN'T want the yogurt. Okay she weighs approx. 800 lbs and has horns and a temper too. So I tried to hold one horn and insert the syringe but she wasn't having any of that! Next move I grabbed her around the neck and stick in the syringe and did get the whole 30cc in her mouth and held her head up so she didn't spit any out. Now she's ringing and switching her tail and dragging me around the little corral. I again get her in the neck grip, but she's wise now and drops her head, when I dropped to insert the next syringe full she bounced back up hitting me with a horn in my bicep , then my chest, across the chest and into my jaw, Owwweee! It was worth it as I dosed her another 30cc. Okay, now I bruise easy and I KNOW I'm in for some ugly bruises. Thankfully she wasn't trying to be mean just trying to get away, otherwise I don't think I'd have faired so well. The last 30cc of yogurt went in by backing her rump into the corner, holding her right horn with my left hand and quickly sticking the syringe into the corner of her mouth, all the while VERY aware of her horns. Success!, the last dose given, although, Button is thoroughly mad, switching her tail and trying to get away from me.

I decided to give her some time to calm down, before giving the yarrow ball and the Carbo Veg. Twenty minutes later I went to check on her and went in and simply pet her and rubbed all her favorite spots, she was relaxed enough to slip the Carbo Veg( are tiny tablet, that instantly dissolve) under her front gum, with out her even realizing. The Yarrow ball, well.... she wasn't happy and did manage to spit a portion of it into her water, which is okay because it simply made Yarrow tea. I pet and consoled her a bit more than went onto cleaning the barns. I checked her an hour or so later and she was upset and wanted out to be with Bessie, so I let her out. PTL! She began grazing her way down to Bessie's location and an hour or so later I watched her drink a good portion of water from the trough. She still had very loose stools, but was grazing and chewing her cud.

When Mike got home around 5:30 pm, we went out to bed their stalls, and give fresh water in their buckets. We then had to herd Bessie and Button in for the night, Button was romping and trying to get "Grandma" Bessie to play, great sign and I breathed a sigh of relief. Once in their stalls, Button laid down and began chewing her cud, another sigh.

This morning she was perked up and back to her normal temperament, stools are not as loose but still looser than normal for a cow. I'll keep an eye on her today, I guess she ate something that didn't agree with her, or had a bacteria that was trying to start something, thankfully we caught it early and nipped it in the butt, so to speak*wink*

I should get pictures of my bruises, they are awful. I've often wondered why some people steer wrestle, now I know it's because they are either daredevils, or plain ole' crazy! Horns hurt!

We're going to pick up Addy( our Dexter cow, Button's mom) tonight. PTL, it looks as if ole' Abe did his job the first time. Come end of March beginning of April( I haven't counted it out yet) we should be blessed with a baby Dexter, YEAH!!! Besides the first Dexter to be birthed on our farm, we'll have milk again, Double Yeah!!!!

Well I am going to try to get some painting done and some mudding and taping today, between moving water in the garden and yard, cutting lettuce, mustard, spinach and thinning beets and fixing something for supper. I have two tenderloin pieces in the frig, and we haven't had steak fried rice for a while, so think I'll get a pot of brown rice simmering. We'll have salad and some pickled( beets, pickles, dilly beans, etc...) items to go along with this. When it's hot nobody seems to have a good appetite, but fried rice is always a hit and I love the leftovers.

Better get a move on, moving water*wink*

Blessings for your day,

Kelle


6 comments:

Tonia said...

Sounds like you are busy for sure!! I know how it is when the girls are gone here! it takes me forever it seems like!
So sorry about the bruises! I have come in contact with those horns too.. Not Fun!! They dont mean it but still it hurts.
Good luck moving water and all the other things on your list!!

Kathryn said...

Ok, there are some things about the farm i don't miss! LOL

Hope your bruises heal quickly & aren't sore too long. I hear arnica cream is really good for bruises. :)

small farm girl said...

I would have liked to have seen a video of all of that. It takes a determend woman to do what you did. Or a crazy one, which ever fits you best. lol

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Tonia, that is the only reson I didn't loose my temper, because she wasn't trying to hurt me only avoid the yogurt.

Kathryn,
Welcome and you are absolutely right, I not only had already used arnica cream, but took Arnica Montana( homeopathic tablets) It's amazing how well this works to stop pain and get the bruised healed quicker.

SFG,
Okay I knew I'd revealed to much in our snail mail letters*LOL*
I was determined to be crazy*wink*
Mike was upset that I didn't ask for help, but you know I thought I could handle it and I did, I just have the evidence to show for it.*sigh*

Millie said...

WOW. You are amazing!
Glad Addy had a good visit.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Millie,
I'm not sure amazing is the correct term, crazy maybe and definately a gluton for punishment*wink*
Praying she took, it's now questionable, as they said the bull was showing interest yesterday afternoon, but no mounting or anything. I wish they'd have called us to let us know we'd have left her for a few more days just to be sure. Sometimes I'm not sure about some people*shaking my head* I guess we'll just press forward and get our own bull.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...