Thursday, July 9, 2009

It takes 4 of these 25 gallon tote buckets to fill our wheelbarrow and....
we hauled 11 wheelbarrows full of weeds out of our garden,
now you do the math!
Sure wish there was a market for weeds, because we sure had a
bumper crop, especially if sold by the pound!!!*wink*

Reminder: to see any of the photos larger, just click on photo.

The bush beans are in the foreground, pole beans in the background.

The pole bean rows are 16 ft long( those are cattle panels they grow

on)


Our second planting of sweet corn( foreground) and obviously

our first planting of sweet corn in the background. These rows are

50ft. long( divided by a walk path)

Cantaloupe row
Onions, peppers( not weeded yet), carrots and to the far right...

tomatoes. You can see our Concord Grape arbors in the background.

Beyond the tomatoes are cabbage, pumpkins and potatoes.
Early Flat Dutch, Early red, and Late Flat Dutch.
Deer damage, so...... it begins! Plans are in the works to get the

solar fence charger and wire around the melons, corn and possibly

the tomatoes.*sigh* Not only do deer graze, coons and skunks help

themsleves as well. *Grrr....*

This will be our second growth of Comfrey, I cleaned out the old

overgrown stalks. Harvesting the prime leaves and flowers for drying.

This picture is weird( the battery was low) but will give you an idea

just how thick the bindweed was in this end of our herb garden.

The visible flowers are that of our Sage.

See photo below for the, "After"

Now, that's better, whew! Pictured is Sage, Parcel, Yarrow and beyond

is Anise Hyssop, Comfrey and Borage.

Our large Elderberry bush( we have a smaller one by our back patio,

loaded with blossoms. These berries make the richest jam and jelly.

We've been told they also make wonderful wine. I make a tinture

using both apple cider vinegar( for one batch) and Vodka for another.

These berries are super immune builders, and help you to kick a cold

or flu quickly.

A close up of the elder blossoms. I'm thinking elder-blossom fritters

and elder blossom, chamomile tea or elder blossom-lemonade.

The "Salad" garden, minus the Garlic and the Egyptian walking onions

( spring green onions). We're moving the spring onions to a new

location, they seriously needed to be thinned anyway. My friend, Irene,

shared those with us two seasons ago, all the way from TX.

They overwinter nicely with a nice layer of mulch. I thinned enough

to share with several other gardeners in our community.

The lone sunflower! A bird must have planted this,

my bet is a Canary Finch, as they love our sunflower

patches.

Blessings for the remainder of your week and into your

weekend.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your garden is just wonderful!! So nice and tidy and free of weeds! You guys must ahve worked your butts off!! Paid off, it looks so nice! Should be in a magazine!! How's your back today?...debbie

Faith said...

Looks amazing! You guys really put out the labor on that one. :)

I think we have comfrey growing wild all over the place here. Don't know a lot about identifying herbs yet, but, on the 4th, all the kids ran out to chew up comfrey leaves they found to put on one of them who got stung by a wasp. ;)

MamaHen said...

Your garden is beautiful! All those weeds! I know, I know, our garden isn't nearly as big as yours and we weed a lot! Our chickens love the weeds though so some good comes of it. I'm not sure how I found your site, but I signed up to follow you so I can come back and really look around later when I have more time. Hope you have a wonderful family and can get a little rest after all that weeding!

Linda said...

I guess I won't complain about weeds at my house ever again!!!

small farm girl said...

Hi Kelle, is there a difference in the taste in the pole beans and the bush beans? I've always used bush beans, but people around here swear by pole beans. If there is a difference, which do you like?

Aunt Jenny said...

Oh everything looks just beautiful! Wow! I didn't realize Elderberry plants/trees got that big! I bought one and just planted it..wow. I hope it is just a mite smaller than that one. Big would be nice..but wow!! Do they overwinter pretty well? I have never grown them before.

spotted face said...

Your garden looks awesome. That's inspiring!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Debbie,
If only I'd worked alittle of my backside off, LOL! Yes we all pulled together( literally) and crawled around on our hands and knees pick'en weeds. Thanks for asking, PTL my back seems to be holding up fine, now my hip gives me fits every so often. I know it's from arthritis, the Dr said I may need surgery to have it scrapped out of the hip joint, we'll see how long I can live with the pain first!

Faith,
Thank you for your compliments.
Hey I'm no expert on herbs, I'm still learning too!*wink* but I've found something that works better than comfrey on stings and bites; Plantain. Do a search on the internet,to help you identify it. Here it grows in our yard. Mike got stung on his foot and I made a poultice of comfrey and plantain and it not only stopped the pain, but helped the swelling go down quicker. If you find this in your area, harvest the leaves and dry for later use in tintures, teas and poultices.

Mama Hen,
Hello and welcome! Glad you found our blog.
Our poultry( chickens and turkeys) LOVE the weeds, especially the purslane and the lambs quarter.

Linda,
You needed to bring the grandkids and Jenny down, a week or so ago*wink*, we surely wouldn't have turned down the help*double wink* Did you get my email about Cortney's pictures? We expect to get her announcements finished in a week and would like to get the photos copied about then as well, thanks. Enjoy your family and if you get this way please feel free to stop in we'd love to see all of you! Tell Zack's gang "Hello" from The Never Done Farm, cousins.

SFG,
The reasoning behind our planting bush and pole beans is..... the bush beans produce first but not for an extended time, so they are our first beans to eat fresh. The pole beans come on slower but as long as you water and pick them they keep producing, so make a better choice for canning large amounts of beans( 100+ qts) We often get sick of the pole beans and let them grow large, then dry and shell for the beans. This is for seeds( as we save all our own seed) and for use in soups, chili, and casseroles. The dry green bean is much like a navy bean. As for a difference in flavor, I suppose they have a somewhat different flavor, if they are different varieties.
I'm typing up your recipes later tonight and will email them ASAP.

Aunt Jenny,
These bushes were here when we bought the place and have overwinter well for the past 6 yrs.
They do have a lot of dead wood that needs to be thinned out as soon as they begin getting green in the Spring( hey, on a positive note it makes great kindling), so you can tell what is deadwood and what isn't. Ours are the tallest they've been in 6 yrs, I think due to the moisture we got this spring. Typically they are 8-10 ft tall, this year 12-14 ft! I guess we'll need a ladder to pick the top bunches of berries this year.

Wandering Owl,
Thank you it does my soul good to just look at it, now that it is looking so good!*wink* Thanks for stopping in and come back soon!

Millie said...

Your garden looks wonderful! What is your hardiness zone there? Zone 4?

JLB said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...