Monday, March 21, 2011

This and That happenings in our weekend

           This picture is of Cortney's first driving lesson in the "big city" on Friday. I was amazed that the instructor took her onto some fairly busy streets and into the downtown area. She was so nervous, she was white, but the instructor said she did well. A few mistakes but nothing he didn't expect.  This picture is of her pulling back into the parking lot.    I'm a big ole' chicken and don't drive with our children. Mike does all the driving, he did it with Jon as well. I get to excited and my voice gets loud and high pitched*wink*, making the new driver very nervous.
      We butchered the remainder of the roosters, after trying to sell them and then even offering them for free.  We did end up selling 20 hens on Craigslist and one lady drove 200+ miles to buy 5 hens.  We still have a dozen hens that are 2+ yrs old to butcher for stewing hens and then our flock will be down to 15 hens and one rooster.  Our meat chicks are due in sometime this week, usually we order White Plymouth Rocks, but a friend raised a newer breed last Spring, called; "Freedom Rangers" and she was very impressed with them. They don't grow as fast as the hybrid meat birds( I call them mutants) but a bit quicker than White Rocks did last Spring.  I've gathered all the needed items in the garage and only have to set it all up once we get the call.  I still need to grind their feed, hopefully enough to last for a week or so, that way I can work on it when I find the free time. Last Spring I was always grinding for that days feed and I didn't like that, I like to be ahead some*wink*  When they come I'll post pictures of them ASAP.
 Okay remember back in the end of February, when our temps were warming and I planted our salad crops in the hoop house, well.........  it took until last week for these seeds to germinate without heating the hoop house. In fact I was worried all the seed had rotted, but they were just dormant until the soil temp. stayed at a steady warmer temperature.  I'm still learning the ins and outs of this hoop house gardening. I made a *note* in my gardening journal not to jump the gun, instead wait to plant in mid March, that is if the weather cooperates.  Anyway, the above photo is a mixed salad and it's now approx. 2-3" tall.  I can almost taste that salad. :o)
 Our Early Wonder beets, planted mostly for greens, but will harvest roots as well.
 The Valerian overwintered well and I'm hoping the Stevia too, although I have seedlings started just in case.
 These are some Egyptian Walking Onions, that I transplanted into the hoop house last Fall. You can see they were frosted when we got the frigid temps beginnig of March.
 The creeping thyme wintered over as well, but it looks as if the rosemary froze, even mulched and inside the hoop house. Thankfully I have the potted one in the house :o)
 Okay this is a total experiment, these are TRUE Potato seedlings( click the photo to see larger version).  If we get them transplanted into the garden, the spuds they'll produce will be our first year "seed potatoes"  In the research I did online, you can use up to the 3rd year seed potato, then after that your seed viability diminishes as does the harvest size and size of your potatoes.  As I said this is an experiment, and we'll keep you posted as to our results.
 Love to see this, lots of empty canning jars! These are all from one weeks worth of meals.  It means many things; that we've eaten well, we've saved $$, we're using our pantry foods, making use of what we have on hand, and of course more empty jars to be refilled with beautiful produce this coming Summer and Fall. :o)
 Since a few of the pint jars were empty and begging sounds from my family were heard, in reference to being out of Concord Grape Jelly, I made a batch. It made 4- pint jars and one is almost 3/4 gone *giggle* already! PTL! we have plenty of quarts of juice canned down in the pantry. Praying the vines produce heavy this Summer, last Summer was the off year!
  Last but not least it's been so beautiful and windy enough to dry clothes, as well as naturally soften them*wink* we've once again been hanging our laundry on the solar dryer.  Everything works out just at the right time, because we aren't burning the wood stove during the day now and I hate using the clothes dryer unless it's an emergency because it increases our power bill $12 or more a month. I know I'm a cheapskate and proud of it!, LOL!!!!

Mike also worked on three hydraulic cylinders, cut up some small branch firewood for our,"Take the Chill Off" fires at night and if needed in the mornings. 

Cortney's been working so much I can't keep track of her :o) She worked M, T, W, Th, and Sat. last week and tonight she starts her first round of night lambing with Annabele, with hopes that she'll feel comfortable enough to fill in and give Annabele a few nights off during lambing season.  She also will be bringing home two bum lambs on Wens.

We have our feelers out for a Dairy goat, but it seems we came onto this idea a bit to late and nobody has a fresh nanny or one ready to freshen, only kids and we don't want to wait for milk. I mean we've been dry for almost two and a half years and We WANT Milk!!!!! LOL!!!!  All kidding aside, if it's supposed to happen it will. :o)  We still have another dairy goat farm to contact and ask to take a tour, it's just finding the time right now.

Not much else worth sharing, so I'll sign off and wish each of you a very blessed week. :o)

12 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm impressed over how much youve done in just one weekend ;-)

And not to mention how much food from your own produce you eat. No wonder it must feel good to see all those used jars!

A truly inspiering post! :-)

Have a great week! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in the simple life! :)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

you will LOVE the freedom rangers! we got the "red broilers" (which are about the same. they are really meaty and more "chicken-like" than the meats. great work!

hope you find a dairy gal. keep looking and dont be afraid to call up breeders in your area. we got Debbie because i randomly called someone - she wasnt advertised for sale.

good luck!
:-)

Lois Evensen said...

It is so much fun keeping up with your day to day activities. I, too, enjoy canning our own food when we have the foods available.

Thanks for sharing your very interesting life!

Jane said...

You certainly have been busy! I Am impressed, I have also got to get going myself,I would like to get some onions and potatoes planted soon. Hope all your plants make. Blessings jane

Grandpa said...

Busy week, eh. I hope Cortney will pass her driving test soon.

Good luck with your beets, potatoes, etc, and hope you'll find that goat soon.

Love your dryer, and the open space around your home.

Tonia said...

I plan on more preserving this year. My mom has a pressure canner and jars for me. I just got to go get them! I have a waterbath canner that I can do a lot of stuff in. But I want to can some things like soup and stuff.
I have a lot of lettuce coming up. I think I need to thin it out some. I am going to have to pen up my chickens because they keep digging where I planted!

Unknown said...

Kelly, I am fAR away but have a few first fresheners here, smaller does but they should grow some more on the next few yrs...coming north at all????

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your post. You have been one busy woman! well, I should say: your family has been so busy!! Glad Courtney is getting so much work. Must make her feel good about herself. Teaching driving isn't easy! lol both ....debbie

MarkD60 said...

Here we have wild chickens running all over the place. Years ago my aunt, (Moms sister) came down for a visit and knew all the chicken breeds. Your post reminded me of that.
I thought that when you wanted potatoes you just planted a potato.

Tracy said...

My son has also grown the potatoes from seed like that. He had pretty good lucky last year, at getting them to germinate and all - planting them directly in the garden. But bad luck later in the year due to so drought/pest issues. So this spring he started the potato seeds inside- give them more of a head start. They are looking good. (along with all his other plants he has started - I need to get photos up)

small farm girl said...

Kelle, check Craigslist for your goat. Around here, we find them on there ALL the time. People think they want a goat until they have to feed it, or it gets loose and eats a flower. lol

Connie said...

I understand how you feel about empty canning jars. Seems we have a goodly number of them each week. It does feel good to have food that you know is good for you, plus saves $'s.

My dryer isn't used much. It started as a month long experiment to see how much we'd save. The savings figured out to approximately 1/4 of our electric bill. Needless to say hanging up clothes has become a life choice/style.

Wish we were closer to you, as we have a milk goat, just freshened about a week ago. We hope to sell her and her kids. Even with the kids on her, we're getting nearly 1/2 gallon of milk per day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...