Friday, March 25, 2011

The Red Light district is back.....

 This morning at 7:15 am our Freedom Ranger chicks arrived U.S.P.S.  We got them settled in right away and were glad to see all are lively and doing great!    I just love chicks, they are truly amazing and so fun to watch.
  I always add 2Tbsp. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and 1Tbsp. honey to their water for several days, it gives them some added electrolytes and it certainly doesn't hurt them.
 It doesn't take long for them to figure out where to eat!  We grind and mix our own chick starter, here is a post from last Spring of our recipe. I would like to add we also add in greens, ASAP and worms and bugs, you know things they'd naturally eat if they had a mama *wink*
 Cortney, her bum lambs( Sarah and Lucy), who are now here at home with us and Annabel's dogs( Trixy, Lacy and Jake) enjoying lunch outside. This was before our Spring snow.
 This is a ewe and her triplets( only two pictured) Cortney managed to get hauled in from the pasture( soon after they were born)  Twins aren't bad, but triplets, that's a challenge. Two are a milk chocolate brown( 2 girls) and a speckled one( boy)
                        It's hard to see this little lamb, but Cortney just loves the black lambs, so do I :o)  It's funny this black lamb was a twin and the other sibling is white.
                        I'm not sure what the count is now but I think Annabel and Cortney are at least half way through lambing.  It's such a joy to see the lambs all racing and bounding about in the corral areas outside the barn.

                         We still have snow on the ground and it's forecasted to snow with rain mix for the next several days, then get back to sunshine and mid to high 50's by mid week, next week :o)
                          Cortney has Driver's Ed this afternoon, so a quick trip to the city and back home again to check on the chicks as well as feed the bum lambs. I'm looking forward to this weekend, this whole week has been so hectic and crazy, I'm looking to enjoy some peace and quite, down time and NOT have to run anywhere.
                        Blessings to each of you today.

16 comments:

Alla said...

I love baby chicks. They are just so adorable. I was surprised with twin lambs this morning. I just love this time of year with all the babies!

Lois Evensen said...

Very sweet images. The images of the lambs remind me of a friend from Northern Norway. He grew up on a farm and they had sheep. He said they always had different colored sheep that provided lovely shades of wool from which his Mom knitted their sweaters.

Mama Mess said...

Love the pics of Cortney and the lambs! Things have been hectic here too, for two weeks! I'm such a homebody that I'm longing for some down time to just be here and not have to go ANYWHERE!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! triplets!! didn't realize they had them!! Sure are darling little things. I like the black ones too! And the chicks are so so cute!! Cheepy little things! All fuzzy and cute! Aah spring, it's the best time of the year with all the new babies coming on!! ...debbie

icebear said...

You are having similar weather over there as we have over here.

I love all the baby critter pics, they certainly keep you busy!

Nita said...

Oh what fun to have those babies. I'm sure Cortney is a pro at lambing by now. Love how they cry when they want attention or food. Chicks look great. So much fun to see the spring animals, babies that is. Have a great weekend. Good luck today Cortney with driving. Prayers your way.

cathy@home said...

Those chicks are really sweet but there are something about lambs I just love those gangly legs they are just cute

Heidi said...

What beautiful chicks and lambs! It sure is a great time of the year, life is starting everywhere.

Have a great, and calm spring weekend! :-)

jean said...

Sigh...if only my dog Shadow were that good around livestock. Love the pics, though!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

AWWW! I wish they were my little chicks :o( I'm beginning to wonder if I can keep some in my Studio and for how long before I would have to put them outside and how would I hide them.!?

Jamie said...

I just love it when we get chicks in the mail,but much better when we hear them hatching!!!!!!
Those lambs are so cute,send one this way for us,would ya?lol

Good Luck coutrney in drving license.

Shmoopywood said...

Seeing your baby chicks are NOT helping me get through the next 4 weeks until MY new fuzzy butts get here! lol Actually it just renewed my excitement!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Awe! They really are darn cute! We are really enjoying our first ones ever!

I can see why those little lambs are precious as well!

MarkD60 said...

Great pics! In that third chick pic I think I see one rabbit there in the center.
Surprised it's still so cold there.

Hopeful said...

the chicks are adorable! it's so great to see cortney in her element as her love for animals just comes through in the pictures. what kind of chicks did you get? do you recommend a certain meat breed that is non-gmo and won't have broken legs under the weight of a grown body? i'm being sarcastic, but not really as i've heard some of these newer meat birds grow fast but it's unnatural and unhealthy for them and they have trouble getting around. hope your weekend is peaceful and relaxing!

HermitJim said...

Nothing like some new life around the home place to remind us of how special the cycle of life can be!

Springtime in the country! How great is that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...