Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What cures a windy, blustry day?

Well of course baking!  Yesterday while it was cold and windy we made a pot of Ham and Bean Soup, Cornbread Muffins and Marble Cake with Carmel Icing.  This cake recipe was something new and I thought the Carmel icing( taken from another recipe) would top it off beautifully!
                                       Marble Cake
                 
          3/4 c. lard/ shortening
          1-1/2 c. sugar ( I cut this back to 3/4c.)
          1-1/2 tsp. soda
          1-1/2 tsp baking powder
          1/2 tsp salt
          2-1/2 c. flour
          1-1/2c. sour milk or buttermilk
          1-1/2tsp. vanilla
          2 unbeaten eggs
          Work the lard until soft, add sugar mixing well. Add remaining ingredients;except eggs When mixed well add eggs and blend in. Pour batter into a well greased pan( we used a bundt pan), except retain approx. 1/4 of the batter in the bowl. Mix the following into the bowl and remaining batter
            1Tbsp. sugar
            1/4 tsp, soda
            2Tbsp. cocoa powder( carob powder works well too)
            2Tbsp. hot water
Mix well and pour over the batter in the pan. Take a knife and zig zag through the batter to give it a marbled effect.  Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.

                            Carmel Icing
            1 stick butter( no substitutes, sorry)
            1c. brown sugar
            1/4c. cream
            1 tsp vanilla
            powdered sugar
In a heavy sauce pot bring the butter and sugar to a boil, stirring constantly to avoid burning, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add cream and mix well, return to boil( stirring) for 1 more minute, let cool. Add vanilla and enough powdered sugar to spreadable consistency .

6 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Mmmmm, sounds yummy and looks great too!

Jane said...

your food sounded and looked so good.will have to try the cake recipe.Thanks for sharing. Blessings jane

small farm girl said...

This looks really good! I'm going to have to try it!

eBear said...

I'd like to talk to you about advertising on your blog; this is my business address:

http://OurHappyHomestead.com

I'm interested in a small text link somewhere towards the bottom of your site... if you'd like, send me an email:

harveyscoffee@gmail.com

Thanks, and good work on the blog!

-David

Anonymous said...

Yumm...I love cake and really love carmel icing...thanks for the recipe! Think I might have to try that!!

Wanted to thank you for asking me to check out Micro-chipping Cooper. I did read about 4 articles on chipping and have decided that I don't want to take the chance of any of the side effects. I had no idea of the problems that "could" occur. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!! ...debbie
...debbie

Hopeful said...

yum! you're making me hungry! i bet that sure did the trick over at your house. leftovers?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...