Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This and That Tuesday

 Finishing up laundry this morning. Yes, those are red one piece long johns, you tend to need these when it's -56F *wink*
 Second time through, to wring out as much water as possible.
 Jeans are the next load, with towels and then whites to follow.
 We did get 5 or so inches of new snow and a two day cold snap, which is moving out late today :o)
 Okay I finished the edges of all the multi colored squares and decided to assemble another row and attach it to the one that was already done when I bought it. Looks good, yes?  I'm excited to get it finished and on the back of a chair or the couch.
 Closer view for ya!
 Next I decided to dig into my trunk and share some of my treasured keepsakes with you.
 Okay the feather comforter is not so special, just needed a place to store it to keep it safe.
 This quilt is VERY special to me, it was a gift from my Grandmother 4 yrs ago. I had given her the cross stitch squares for Christmas one year, knowing she'd made them before and seemed to enjoy doing them. Never in a million years did I think she'd work them up into a quilt for me.
 She hand quilts all of her quilts. Beautiful stitches, especially since she was 89 yrs old when she quilted this. BTW, she doesn't quilt any longer, due to poor eye sight and her hands have a hard time holding the needle, at age 94 yrs old.

  Her special tag, stating she was 89 yrs old when she completed this quilt.  This is the second quilt she's made for me. The first was when Mike and I were married almost 27 yrs ago. When my Great Grandma( my Grandma's mother) passed away, she left several quilt tops to be finished. When asked what we'd like for our wedding gift, I said one of Great Grandma's quilts. Now Great Grandma didn't buy special fabric, matching and beautiful as the quilts are made with today. She instead saved scraps  from clothing her family wore, old sheets, aprons, etc.....  The picture below is the finished quilt. My Great Grandma pieced the top and my Grandma put it together and hand quilted it. Again she made a tag for it stating these facts, making it such a very special keepsake. My Grandma can tell me which pieces where from who's shirts,dresses, aprons or sheets

 Our son, Jon was baptised in this tux with tails, very cute! I need to find our pictures of him in the tux and post a picture.
 See the tails?
 Cortney's baptism gown and bonnet. Maybe someday these will be handed down to my Grandchildren on their baptism days.
 These were Jon's first cowboy boots!  To cute Huh? They are made of real leather, such a soft leather. Again maybe someday I'll pass them down.
 My Aunt Linda made this when Jon was born and I used it for both of our children and it still looks like brand new. It is hand quilted as well. She still makes beautiful quilts, take a look for yourself on Grasshopperviewpoints
 This is a crocheted blanket made by Mike's Aunt Sidney, when Jon was born.
 This is the afghan she made for Cortney. I also have one that she made for me. She is a multi talented lady, crocheting, beading and many crafts.
 Okay now it's time to put the ham bone on to cook down for our ham and bean soup supper tonight.
 Stoke the stove up a bit, to take the chill off and keep the ham bone cooking right along.
One pitfall of a wood stove and a 101 yr old farm house, dust!  Well...... I better get the laundry finished , clean the bathroom, and of course dust( my pet peeve of chores *sigh*)

Blessings and productivity for your day :o)

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh, how fun this was, seeing your beautiful treasures! These handmade beauties are so precious and I love how you shared who made each one and the stories behind them. I have a few quilts and crocheted items from my grandmother and mother, too. They are like hugs everytime I hold them!

Mama Mess said...

Wonderful! I have a trunk as well that has my treasures in it. Thanks for sharing them with us! We have dust too and I am not a fan of getting rid of it.

I've got a letter ready for you, just waiting on something before I can mail it ;0)

small farm girl said...

Such wonderful treasures! I love my great grandma's quilts too. Her's weren't as pretty though. She would make her's out of pieces of jeans and everything else she had. She stuffed them with old panty hose. She never wasted a thing. lol.
I understand about the dust. But I wouldn't give up my wood stove for a clean house. lol

Tonia said...

Oh I love the quilt!! I remember laying on my Mawmaw's bed picking out all the pieces of fabric that I had dresses or baby doll clothes that matched..I would have loved to have that quilt but I was only 7 when she died and it was given to another family member. But I am sure they treasured it very much.
So the quilts that are all those pieces like that always remind me of that. I still have one she made for me when I was little. It has many holes and is tucked away in a trunk but it was a much loved blanket growing up..
Beautiful.....

Nita said...

What fun going through the old chest full of memories. By the way, does Cortney still have the quilt that the Chapter S Goldwingers gave here when she did the Make a Wish? I just remembered that after looking at your wonderful treasures.

becky3086 said...

I have used many wringer washers and many woodstoves. I really wish we had a woodstove today. We once had one that my father hooked up to the old furnace in our house so it blew heat throughout the house. My father could do things like that.

MarkD60 said...

Great post! So much to say. I like your washing machine, my Grandmother had one with a squeezer on it like that.
AND, I really like the quilt made from old clothes that your Great grandmother made. So cool. When it was new someone said "That was my shirt" or "This piece is from my old favorite pants"
Probably no one knows where the cloth came from anymore, but the clothes live on!
Imagine! The shirt I'm wearing right now might live longer than me!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post!! loved seeing the beautiful quilts and all your treasures!! They are really nice. What cute little tiny boots!! ...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Laurie,
Amen! I remember my Great Grandma working on a quilt and I remember thinking someday I'll get one too, but she passed away when I was in my early teens, so to have my Grandmother finish one of the tops she made,makes it all the more special :o)

Goodwife,
Dusting is my pet peeve of chores. I always leave it til last*wink*

I'll be watching for your letter, I'm curious now :o)

Tonia,
I'm not the most sentimental person, but I do have my treasured keepsakes, such as the quilts and afghans and baby items I shared in this post. I also have all of my family tree history( on my Dad and Mom's sides) plus lots of wonderful pictures and special( to me anyway) personal items. I'll share more about those items in another post.*wink*

Nita,
Yes, Cortney has the quilt that the Goldwinger's made for her up in her Hopechest. She inherited the cedar Hopechest that Mike bought me before we married. I passed it down to her on her 16th B-day, although she had to wait until I found another trunk to place my treasured keepsakes in*wink* Now she finally has her Hopechest in her room.

Becky,
Your father sounds like a man we know, he can make something from just about anything. We're watching, listening and learning from everything he does and suggests, because people such as him and your father are a rarity today.
I LOVE my wringer washer, it gets clothes cleaner than any machine they make today. Yes it is a bit more labor involved but so what, our whites are glistening white!

Mark,
Glad you like the post and thank you for sharing your memories.
My Grandmother can still point out swatches in the quilt top pieced by her mother and say who's clothes it was. That makes it ever so special as my Grandmother is the only survivior in her family.
Ask your beautiful wife if she'll make a quilt, made out of your old shirts/ pants/ shorts *wink* Then your clothes surely will live on as a special keepsake to your family. :o)

Debbie,
Glad you enjoy yourself :o) Yes, indeed they are tiny little cowboy boots, they were Jon's first shoes, a gift from Mike's Mom.

Thank you all for your comments and shared memories. I was feeling sentinmental yesterday, I will share some other keepsakes later in the week, more of a paper trail of family tree info.*wink*

Blessings,
Kelle

Unknown said...

What a wonderful visit to your place today! I am so excited to see your hope chest and all your wonderful items! I love the little cowboy boots! :) And the blankets and quilts are so beautiful! I sent your tote last night! :) Have a beautiful day!

Kate said...

I love your trunk It reminds me of going to my grandmothers house and rummaging thru all the neat things she kept in her trunk kept from family members over many years. What good memories. I've taken notice of your wood cookstove. Matt and I are talking about getting one for the farm. Do you have any recommendations on what to look for in one? This will be a totally new concept for us.

Linda said...

Kelle, this is a beautiful post. I hope that Gramma Phoebe will have the chance to see it - she would be so pleased. You have lovely treasures. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...