Monday, February 14, 2011

A heads up and pictures of our weekend happenings

Self Sustained Living has a news link you ALL need to read and please take heed.

This is one reason, of several that you should be able to grow your own produce, preserve it and store it.

                          Here's what we did yesterday:
                     

                         This is today's temp. at 9am. Yesterday we were sweating bullets, it was 85F
                          in the greenhouse.
                         We also planted Gentilina, May Queen, Iceberg, Little Gem and a Salad mix
                          with Mustard and Radicchio




                          We expanded this bed and plan to do the same on the other side.
                          I'm also experimenting with early cabbage planted directly in the soil
                          verses in pots. We'll see how that turns out.
You can see how muddy it was yesterday, this morning it was frozen again.
 Our temperatures are supposed to be into the mid 40's all week, with sunshine( although not so far today)  I'm hoping this will give all our seeds a good start. 
The warm weather crops will be started indoors, hopefully this week!  We have a busy week ahead; Cortney works Monday and Thursday, with a trip into the city for a Dr. appointment on Wens. and again to the city on Friday, so she can take the written portion of her drivers exam. Her Driver's Ed. teacher said she is ready and needs to take the exam o obtain her driver's permit. Once this is done she'll begin driving in the Driver's Ed car, she's pretty nervous about that but he assured her that he won't make her drive in heavy traffic for quite awhile, but rather stick to the low traffic neighborhoods to begin with. I've been driving for several decades and I don't even like to drive in the city.*sigh*
Well need to get barns cleaned and off to Cortney's cleaning job. I will say it will be nice when she has a license and can driver herself to and from work. :o) 
Praying your day is filled with blessings. 

11 comments:

small farm girl said...

Good luck to Cortney! I know she can do it!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh how I remember driving lessons and taking my girls every where. When they got there license they drove themselves. I miss those drives. They drive in Toronto I would never drive there.I guess those lessons turned into a good investment. Good luck on the planting. B

Marmee's Pantry said...

I am SO looking forward to getting our kitchen garden goodies out...not time yet around here.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

life in this 1880 farmhouse said...

My 19 year old went for her drivers test last fall. We have to go to this town about 1 1/2 hours away to take it. I made her drive the whole way there. When we got to the town, no one was using signals, wrong turning lanes etc. Daughter was frustrated and said " no one here knows how to drive!" I said Yep and yet they all passed their drivers test! She did too. I am still a nervous passenger.

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, you are so ready for Spring! I enjoy watching all the action at your place. great post!

The Craftivist said...

The way food prices are going these days it's just crazy. I went to the grocery to get a single bag of groceries a total of about 8 items. Cost me $25 ON SALE. Definately more reason to grow your own and I'm sure the price increases will drive more people to do just that.

Good luck to Cortney, I'm sure she'll pass with flying colors :D

Mr. H. said...

Wow, talk about an early start. I can't wait to see your plants all green and growing.:)

Thanks for the link, food prices are going up fast and if we can't feed ourselves who will. Makes me want to plant even more than I was planning to this year...hmm. I had not heard about the big freeze in Mexico and the southwestern U.S...thanks for the heads up.

Hopeful said...

cortney is getting so close!!! yay! almost there...

your greenhouse garden pics look wonderful! isn't it a sin to be jealous? guess i better go to two services this sunday!

MarkD60 said...

I remember when I got my license I was 16 and two weeks, I got my permit as soon as I turned 16, two weeks later, I got my license!
The garden looks great!

Leigh said...

Hi Kelle! I appreciated your visiting my blog and for your lovely comment. I love your blog! And I think your hoop greenhouse is great.

I was so interested that you knew Carla Emery. Her book is one of my favorite go-tos.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

thanks for posting the link! we've been reading about this also and i cant wait to get out there and get gardening!
:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...