Friday, February 27, 2009

I thought Spring had Sprung? WRONG! winter is still here.


Today we are a crisp white. Talk about having Spring Fever, we've been starting seeds this week and yesterday our temps dropped from the mid 40's to 17F in a matter of hours, Brrrrr...I know it's still winter but it feels like such a cruel hoax to have a week of spring type temps and then back into old man winter again.

As I raised the shades in our bedroom windows I had to giggle a bit, hanging on the line are two loads of laundry, not only stiff as a board but covered in snow. Most will simply hang out until the weather turns around,it's forecasted to be in the high 50's F again by Sunday. It's a blessing to have this snow. It get Springtime growth off to such a good start, although I dislike the mud that comes with it all melting. The good Lord provided us with a mudroom, just for this purpose, because with three people and two dogs tracking in and out our home would be a total mess.

We're still finishing up getting seeds going, in our indoor greenhouse with a heat lamp. Our house isn't a lot warmer than outside during the night, unless someone gets up to stoke the wood stove. This is only a priority when it's in the sub zero temps, to insure pipes don't freeze, otherwise we snuggle deep under our quilts and feather ticks. On a typical morning it isn't unusual for our inside temp. to be on average 48-52F, it was 52F this morning. Once the wood cook stove is fired up it warms up rather quickly, especially in the kitchen. My guess is this is why back in the old days the kitchen was the gathering place in the house. My parents think it's nuts we don't turn on our furnace and set it at 60F. We did turn on the furnace and set it at 57F during a two week stint of sub zero(-22 to -24F, with windchill added in). Our home is 1910 and although we did insulate the attics the walls and windows( original with aluminum storms added) are not the best. My point is, this is why we use an indoor greenhouse.

In mid to end of March we get our cold frames going and mid to end of May, chances of frost are minimal.

There is something serene about watching snow fall, especially if you have time to sit with a hot cup of tea, a lap quilt and a good book. All of which I plan to put into action, just as soon as I have the whites and towels washed and on our drying wrack in front of the wood stove.Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Gary said...

First, let me congratulate you and your husband for the way of life you've chosen.

I was raised in a rural setting in New Brunswick, Canada, where, as kids, we were accustomed to no electricity, horse and wagons/buggys, hand-cutting the hay with a scythe, raking with a hand-rake, and gathering in the hay with a horse pulling a hay-wagon,while someone tossed the hay on-board with a pitch-fork.

We had a well near the house from which we drew our drinking water. We had a battery-powered radio, which was turned on in the early evening after the chores were done, to which we listened intently as stories were narrated, (our version of today's movies and TV).

The door was never locked and frequently someone dropped in, particularly on Saturday evening. It was taboo to do any work on Sundays, (other than milk and feed the cows and livestock), and everyone dressed as smartly as they could to attend Sunday worship.

Neighbours gathered throughout different parts of the year for plowing, planting or harvesting frolicks. Each farm was visited for about a week or so at a time with both husbands and wives. The men doing the field work while the women busied themselves at preparing meals and, perhaps, (if time permitted), quilting.

I am now in my early sixties and have had a successful career. My wife and I have lived in Europe and in different parts of Canada.

I don't pine for the "good-ol'-days", but I do reflect on the values of today's society locked into the urban rat-race, and that of my earlier childhood, when socializing, storying-telling, card-playing, and being there to help one another out in times of need, were norms of rural New Brunswick.

We have paid a bill for our urban conveniences.

Both my wife and I loved your blog.

I invite you to visit my site at garyross.ca.

All the best,

Gary

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Gary and wife,
Thank you for your warm comments and I'm glad you shared a bit of your history with me.

We love our life and wouldn't change it for anything. It's not for everyone and we know this, but it has been a blessing for our family.

Keep your comments coming, if there is anything you'd like to ask, I'll try to answer it for you. This bloggin is new to me and when I look at other blogs I feel as if ours is rather boring. I simply don't have the time to be so creative and on dial up it takes time to get things downloaded.

Thanks again for sharing and for your kind compliments.
Blessings,
Kelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...