Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And they're off......








This morning at 5:30 am I was sitting enjoying a cup of coffee and conversation with Mike, when my Dad knocked on our kitchen window and said," Mo, is out!" Mike didn't seem to understand what he said, but boy I sure did and I was out of the chair like a flash. I then repeated what Dad had said and Mike jumped up and ran for his keys. I put on shoes and ran out the backdoor heading for the barn for a halter and rope. Mike backed the car up, I jumped in and my Dad pointed us in the direction he headed, at a gallop of course. He had two choices and he had to pick heading in the direction of the highway, of course. We spotted him as he was about to cross the railroad track in route to the highway, Mike yelled at him and PTL! he made a sharp left turn onto a side street toward the baseball field. After missing him in our attempt to cut him off, Dad yelled( as he was jogging along the roadway), " Mo circled around you and is over in that field with some horses" , pointing to the North. We spotted him when our headlights came across the field as we pulled in to a driveway. Mike jumped out with halter and lead in hand and yelled at him again. It was if he heard Mike's voice and said to himself "Hey somebody I know!" and proceeded to come to Mike at a trot. Mike walked him the 1/2 mile home and I stopped and picked up my Dad in the car. What a way to start off your morning, I guess it's safe to say all of our hearts are in good shape,LOL!


Mo back in his corral and eating his hay and the girls( cows) fed, we head back to the house for a breakfast of hotcakes. Lots of conversation, going over our morning's adventure. Our prayer before breakfast included praises to the Lord for Mo's safety.


Now that it is light and before Mike left for work, we headed out to do a through check for possible injuries and to pick his hooves, as he'd run in gravel for a distance. He checked out okay and seems no worse for the wear from his early morning adventure, Praise be!
I pray the remainder of our day is less eventful.
Plans are to finish laundry( whites need to be hung on the line), clean house and if there is time before evening chores I'd like to work on mudding and taping in our backporch/ laundryroom. This is our latest remodeling project and I hope to have it all wrapped up before summer.
Praying your day is productive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle a little bit regarding Mo's early morning adventure. Junior, my Paint horse used to go down a fairly steep bank from time to time and enter the rather large & deep stream that followed his pasture. He would swim one or two farms down and haul himself up the lower bank and have himself a nice green breakfast or lunch in the neighbors back yard. I'd get a call and get a bucket of oats so he would follow me home. He was a real character. He usually picked a holiday. St. Patricks Day, Halloween and one time Labor Day. Like Mo, always happy to see me, especially with an oat bucket. They are something else, those horses!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...