Friday, September 24, 2010

Up to our elbows in....

Dirt, plums, cabbage, peppers and all of the End of the Garden stuff. :o)

We made plum jelly without pectin or sugar, only using honey and it turned out beautiful!  This is the second year we've made all of our jams, jellies and butters using only honey and they turn out so beautiful. I found the recipes in an old book I picked up at a garage sale called " Stocking Up" it was originally published in the early 70's and it has been revised twice since then.  The Basic Recipe for Jellies, using fruits high in natural pectin is as follows
Basic Recipe for High Pectin Fruit
Juice your fruit and for every cup of juice add 3/4c. mild flavored honey. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Test for jelly point or use a candy thermometer. Pour into hot sterile jars, seal and water bath for 10 min.  Ours always sets up nicely.
For a Butter in High Pectin Fruits Use 1/2 c mild honey to each cup of pureed pulp. Mix together and add to a slow cooker, cook until desired thickness, add to hot sterilized jars, seal and water bath for 10 minutes.
 Tonight's full moon, the picture just doesn't do it justice, it was much more beautiful in person.  Many people think it's a old wise tale but when the moon is full I don't sleep well. It seems I go to sleep okay but then around 1:30- 2am I'm wide awake.  Two nights ago I was awake from 1:20 am to 3:30 am, so instead of tossing and turning disturbing Mike I got up and looked through a cookbook a friend has sent to us.

Not much else new here, just working on garden cleanup, then yard cleanup and finally we'll get everything mulched for winter.

Blessings to you and yours :o)

8 comments:

small farm girl said...

I understand about pictures not doing natures justice. I can never get the picture to look as beautiful as the real thing.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

On those nights I can't sleep, I love to sit on the back porch and listen to the night sounds...lovely!

Faith said...

Last night we saw something we'd never seen before. The moon, while in the lower quadrant of the sky, was jumping crazily and rapidly, as if someone were rapping quickly down on a scope you were using to view the heavens.

It was eerie, and I'd never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. What was really weird was that this was the first time any of us had seen this happen. Michael and I were visiting my mom and dad.

We came home and, after chores, lay on the hammock for an hour and watched the moon. How beautiful!

Your honey jam and jelly sounds wonderful. I have that book, but have not used that recipe.

~Faith

Anonymous said...

Sounds really yummy! Healthy too!
I've gone out two nights in a row to photograph the moon, and as soon as I get out there, the clouds come! lol ....debbie

HossBoss said...

Thanks for posting this, Kelle ...what a simple and healthful way to make jellies and fruit butters. Can't wait to make a batch!

Hopeful said...

i have stop reading your posts before i've had breakfast! yum, again! the moon looks nice... so, is that why i'm not sleeping, either? i like your proposal - that moom better get smaller so both of us can get some sleep! but, it sure is pretty. at least there's something nice to look at if you give up on sleep and go out on the porch, ha ha.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SFG,
I have a really nice Nikon camera, but need to get it looked at by a camera repair person, because the appeture(sp?) is froze *sigh* If I'd had this camera the picture would have been incredible.

Sandra,
Sometimes I just sit and listen to the night sounds in the house and it calms me enough I can then go back to bed. Until we get an enclosed porch I don't go outside when up because we have skunks, coons, bear and even heard tell of a mountain lion in our area. Someday our plan is to put an enclosed porch across the front of our house, then I'll sit on the porch*wink*

Faith,
Wonder what it was that happened? Cortney loves her hammock, especially now that the skeeters have died off*wink* Our one dog loves to lay in there with her, I really need to get a photo.

Debbie,
Darn, you always get such beautiful shots too. Maybe tonight?

WWRWH,
We've been on a mission to get ourselves away from sugar entirely, especially since the sugar beets are now GMO. Sugar is very addictive, we slowly began cutting back several years ago, looking for alternatives and you bet we ALL had withdrawl symptoms, it was crazy! I've tried everything, stevia is okay but your recipes have to change so dramatically it's a pain. So we've found honey and molasses( from cane sugar) to be our best substitutes. Typically when we make a recipe we cut the amount of sugar in half and if substituting in honey, you cut it inhalf again and decrease a liquid by 1/4c. Give it a try you won't be dissapointed!*wink*

Hopeful,
Sorry for making you hungry, LOL! It sure was/ is beautiful when it is that way, very peaceful just to sit and look at it.

Hey, thanks all for your comments!

Jamie said...

We mus tbe thinking the same thing,I finally was able to get a very good picture of the moon but you are right it is better in person!!!!!
Blessings~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...