Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Root cellars, how we built ours.

We had a small root cellar 5ftx8ft, when we bought this place. We used it but
I always worried about the safety of it. When my parents build their home here, it was in the way of the contractors and we opted to collapse it, fill it in and build a new larger cellar in a different location. My parents agreed to help rebuild a new cellar and they paid for the materials. It was decided that 12x12x7ft was a good size. Mike bartered with a man to dig the hole 5-6 ft deep with a backhoe. We couldn't go any deeper because of our high water table( water is at 8 ft.)
Mike and my Dad planned out how to build it and the best ways to preserve the wood. It has a vapor barrier and then is wrapped in tar paper, with rolled roofing on the roof( you can see that in the photo) It is vented at ground level and at the roof level as well( you'll see the vents a few photos below)

It was filled in entirely by hand. 
My Dad who did the majority of filling in and packing the dirt.
All filled in around the back, sides and some on the roof, but needed to build the outside entrance and steps
Here it is before being completely covered by dirt

This is what it looks like in the summer months, now that it is completely covered with dirt. It hold at a fairly regular temp. from 42-44F in winter( when sub zero outside, we block the vents) and 44-48F in summer. We did have to add a vapor barrier to the floor due to excess humidity. The humidity is just about right for root crops, and cabbage.  The squash and pumpkins will store, after being hardened off and coated with a thin coat of olive oil or lard, for 3-4 month before mold spots begin to show up. We did however have to add some additional support beams along the center support and added some additional 2x4's in the walls for added strength. It's amazing how much dirt weighs, especially when wet!

Here are the shelves and bins we use to store our potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, squash, turnips, etc...
The potatoes on the shelves were dug when it was wet( 3 summers ago), so we let them dry and cure for several weeks before adding to the potato bin
Our carrots are stored in dirt( our soil is sandy), laying them flat, not touching one another and covering with soil, then layer again, repeating until the bin is full. We also use a plastic tote for this as well. Our carrots typically keep from one garden season to another, after approx 11 months in storage, they begin to get hairy with roots and dehydrate down some.
We couldn't live without a cellar now.


15 comments:

Theres just life said...

I like that you put how you built your root cellar and how you store your vegetables. Thanks for the post,

Vickie said...

This is so funny I was just talking about a root cellar last night. Remembering how we would work on my grandfather's farm and put stuff in the root cellar. That you rarely hear of them anymore and how most kids of today don't know what they are. Yours looks great love the pictures. Take Care :)

Faith said...

Awesome! Thanks so much, Kelle! I dearly want to build one of these. The ground here is very rocky, though, and I'm not sure we could obtain low enough temps, being further in the south. I wish I knew someone who had one here, so I could find out how cool they can keep it.

Yours is just like the Elliot Coleman type that I figured on, with the two vents.

~Faith

Tonia said...

That is so cool! I have a basement in this house that with some insulation and other things done I think will hold a certain temp.But its more around the 50-60* mark.
I would like a cellar like that but I am afraid it would take Dynamite! We hit massive rocks all the time under the dirt just digging down a little ways..

Kat said...

I've always wanted a root cellar. Yours keeps a great temperature year round. You guys sure are busy as bees!!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

TJL,
You are welcome. :o) Since we're beginning to get produce dug and stored down in the cellar I figured I post about it. I've seen on some other blogs as well, people asking questions about building a root cellar.BTW, like your blogs!*thumbs up*

Vickie,
Thank you. You comment about kids now-a-days not know what a cellar was, well I had a teen tell me one time that she lived my antique in the back yard. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about and she showed me our clothesline*giggle* She really thought it was an antique and I explained to her that we used it every week and I call it my Solar Dryer, she looked at me like I was nuts, LOL!
Btw, liked your blog, we'll be back to chat more when life slows down.

Faith,
Trust me filling it in by hand was hard enough( my Dad who was 69-70yrs. at the time did most of it while Mike was working), you'll want to barter with someone who owns a backhoe or bobcat to dig your hole. You'd be surprised, even in the south how cool they stay. Up here in the North, I've read in many homesteading biographies, had cellars so large that it was divided in half and half was used as an ice house, cutting ice in winter and storing with straw or sawdust between and over the blocks. :o) Amazing what history can teach us, I find myself looking back, rather than looking forward to the technology of today*wink*

Tonia,
You could easily convert a corner of your basement, just by building insulated walls and I think I've seen plans online, but you will have to add some sort of ventilation. Rocks sure make life complicated, but sandy soil does as well :o) I guess there is no happy medium*wink*
Blessings for your week everyone. :o)

Hopeful said...

what a gret looking cellar! you guys did a fabulous job. whoo hoo!

Kathie said...

Thanks for sharing this, a root cellar is on our forever-long "to-do" list.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Hopeful,
Thank you, when I think of all of my favorite "farm tools" our cellar is tops on the list, right behind our wood cookstove and wringer washer*wink*

Kathie,
You are welcome and soon enough you'll have it crossed off your list too*wink*
Blessings,
Kelle

small farm girl said...

Good looking celler! Do you make trips to put in OTHER peoples cellers? lol

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SFG,
We may be able to work something out*wink*
Blessings,
Kelle

This is My Life said...

Thanks for showing the photos on the progress of your root cellar. I am looking forward to the day we can have one, or the land to build one on. Loving the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Love the root cellar! :) Our water table is so high here we couldn't build one. :( Love your blog. :)

6512 and growing said...

what a fantastic asset to your homestead!

For now, I farm our roots out into friends' garages. Someday, our own!

Kate said...

I LOVE this post! As soon as I get my garden planted we will be focusing on a root cellar. Your post is an inspiration to all sorts of plans now buzzing through my head! Thanks for the ideas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...