Friday, September 10, 2010

So... sick of GREY!

We're so sick of Grey skies and cool temps!  This whole, "summer without summer" we've had maybe a dozen days into the 90'sF and only one day that hit 100F. I love bright sunshine, the crystal blue Montana skies, and this summer we've had very little of either.*sigh* Today's high is forecasted to be 64F. When the above photo was taken this morning it was 48F<Brrrrrrr...> and it rained off and on all night, so it's a damp cold.

The animals are showing signs of getting in their winter coats and the chickens and turkeys( crazy birds) are molting. They do this ever year and I know it's linked to the decreasing daylight but it seems crazy to be walking around half naked when winter is just around the corner, LOL!

Thank the Lord we finally, got it together, to build our greenhouse, it's been such a blessing! The tomato plants are 7ft+ tall and LOADED with beautiful HUGE( green still, but they are ripening*wink*) tomatoes. Of course the peppers and eggplant are huge and producing beautifully too.  I did manage to plant some cantaloupe in the greenhouse but because the tomato plants grew so large, they are fighting for light and space, so not sure we'll get to harvest any this year. It's been a learning experience and I've taken good notes for future reference. We didn't have to use any fans to help ventilate the greenhouse this summer, using the roll up sides and windows worked well. Although if we do get a normal summer I'm sure we will have to use exhaust fans to regulate the inside temperature better.

Well, I'm off to  make and bake some bread and process a few more pints of Basil Dilly Beans. It's still not cool enough to warrant a fire in the wood cook stove, but I'm anxiously awaiting the day we can!  We even have our kindling bundles ready and small firewood handy*wink* For us it is a blessing to have the different seasons, each holding it's own activities and events, which we look forward to. I'm looking forward to winter, as this is my time to catch up on reading, working on crafts and I pray this winter a time to begin my adventure in Quilting! I've been collecting material and pattern books from garage sales and secondhand stores. I don't want to quilt like the new quilts are being made, but rather piece it using the treadle sewing machine and quilt it by hand, the way my Grandma  and so many Grandma's did it! I'm starting with a couple of small projects and then hope to finish my( U-hummm window quilts, started something like 4 yrs ago), then move on to maybe a small baby sized quilt before tackling any large projects.

Blessing for your day! :o)

14 comments:

Faith said...

You guys really did have the opposite of us this year, didn't you!

The long range forecast shows the same as well. A harder winter for you, and a milder one here. Last time I checked anyway.

I'm so glad you have that greenhouse, too. What a blessing that is to have such amazing produce! :o)

~Faith

Mama Mess said...

I too love the changing of the seasons and fall is my favorite! I just dread the gloominess and gray skies of winter.......that said, I do love the winter crafts. I love hand quilting!! It's soo relaxing and wonderful. Be prepared for some really really sore fingers and then as they start to heal, you'll snag them on everything!

Denise said...

You should try a 9 patch. It's very old quilt pattern and very easy as well.

Tonia said...

I am looking forward to getting a green house up here. That way I will be able to start things earlier. I am not ready for winter though.. Not in the least bit.. I have a few more things to get settled here before I will welcome that S word!Lol
SOme of my goats are getting in their winter coats and the bucks ae in rut(ick)!lol My older chickens ahave started molting but my new ones have started laying! If they ever get in sync we will have Dozens of eggs!Lol RIght now I am back up to 7-8 a day..
WE had a warm summer though and I am glad for the cooler weather. It was getting dry but the recent hurricane down south sent a bunch of soaking rain this way.. Now everythign is muddy but green again!

Modern Day Redneck said...

Really? I would trade you in a second. I have spent almost 40 years in this Texas heat and given just half a chance I would roll up my Texas flag and head North.

MarkD60 said...

Nice looking greenhouse! I see it in the picture! I need to make a shade house!!

small farm girl said...

We do have a greenhouse on the "list" if that helps. lol

Kat said...

Your weather sounds delightful! Our summer has been too hot for even the most heat loving vegetables to grow and here it is mid-September and we are still in the high 90s! Glad you got your greenhouse done. I know that will help a lot this winter.Blessings to you all and enjoy the cool crisp air for me will ya?

Hopeful said...

envious of your greenhouse! that's wonderful... hope you get some pics up of the tomatoes and eggplant. wow, certainly getting cold there. it will be great when you can get the wood burner going! have a great weekend.

Barbara said...

hummmmmm maybe you need to move to Georgia, giggles, we have had a high of 90 at least all summer, and sun, sun and more sun, we did our share of rain, but not all at once like some, hugs and blessings, Barbara

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I always try to answer each comment but this go round you'll have to forgive me for not doing this. We're swamped with garden goodies, lots of company( different people but on a daily basis, lately*wink*) and I'm simply pooped, LOL!!!

I will say quickly, I would never be able to live in the south, to humid for me. I like the dry heat thank you*wink* and I also would never be able to pick up on your accent *wink*

HermitJim said...

Been way too hot here in Texas this year! Normally, I like the heat...but this year it got me good!

Your weather sounds pretty nice as does your garden. All that's still growing in mine is the okra!

You and the family take care!

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, home made bread is perfect to chase away the cold weather blues. I can just smell it baking.

I'll be making bread in a couple of weeks when we get home. What a wonderful thought!

Hugs,
Lois

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Ya. Me too. Grey skies suck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...