Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Yesterday's harvest! It's hard to decide which to eat first *wink* You can see the "Pink Egg" tomatoes and the yellow roma is called "Golden Torch" The others are small Brandwine tomatoes from a potted plant. I have noticed even in the largest pots I have them planted in the fruit just doesn't get as large as when planted in a bed, but they taste just as good :o)
Dehydrating veggies and fruit is an amazing way to store foods! This was 1/2" thick when first cut.
If my memory recalls correctly, this is a total of 6 medium sized zucchini dehydrated down and now fit into, two yogurt containers.
We've had a cold front move in for the past couple days, so.... we took full advantage and baked some goodies to eat and for the freezer. Cortney made peanut butter cookies, I made two batches of zucchini bread, a  with walnuts added and another with dried cranberries and walnuts added. Then I also made a large ( lasagna sized pan) of blueberry coffee cake for breakfast for the next several mornings.  Now our temps. are forecasted to go back up into the high 90's and we may even break 100F! I'm pretty sure there has only been one day this whole summer(thus far) that we broke the 100F mark. A normal summer would have afforded us almost the whole month of Aug. temps. being in the 100'sF. This summer, as well as last, we simply haven't had more than a handful of days in the 100's, not that I'm complaining mind you.  Personally I like the mid to upper 80'sF myself.*wink*
Just about time to mix together and put into well greased pans. The recipe above, you simply mix in the order given and bake at 325F for an hour and 15 minutes, if using reg. sized bread pans( it makes two large loaves); an hour for smaller bread pans( makes 4 loaves), but I check at about 45 minutes and sometimes they are done.
Ready to go into the oven
As you see, there is already one missing*giggle* Who could turn down warm zucchini bread, especially at lunchtime?


Blessings for you day, may it be a productive one.

7 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Beautiful! Looks yummy <3

Kat said...

What a wonderful harvest. The bread looks very good.

Kat said...

Where do you live?

Nekkid Chicken said...

I am so jealous. It is too hawt to bake here. I can't wait to lay in a fall garden. Thanks for sharing!
Mal

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Michaela,
Couldn't you smell it? It sure is tastey!

Kat,
Thanks and we live in S. Central Montana. Feel like Fall is quickly appraoching, so working hard to make the most of the harvest before we get a freeze.

Mal,
It's HOT today and tomorrow, but the 100F temps for today and tomorrow are only 3-4 days we've seen close to or over 100F. Typially all of Aug. is that hot.
Wish some of you were closer, it's fun to share and we'd of course share :o)

small farm girl said...

Hey Kelle, the tomatoes look good. I've never seen a pink tomatoe before. lol. The breads look yummy. I can just smell them now. mmmmmmmmm

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

That bread looks delicious and I like that pan you have used, where can I buy one?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...