Friday, December 10, 2010

A recycling tip and "handy" to have around

If you have wool sweaters that are wearing out, have moth damage, or you accidentally shrank, don't throw them out, recycle them into mittens.  I saw a video not to long ago on "You Tube" about how to make these and started digging out old wool sweaters( Mike had one that was to small and we were given two others with moth damage) First step is to wash then in cold water( so colors don't run)  and dry in a hot dryer to shrink the wool.

 Then you simply trace your hand adding about 1/2" to 3/4 " seam allowance. Pin this pattern to sweater and cut both layers at one time.
  Now turn them right sides together and stitch using a small, stretch zigzag stitch.
 The black pair is finished. You turned right side out again, the print pair is next on the list to be stitched.
 Here is how they look on and they will keep your hands warm, although not sure how snow and below zero temps will affect them.
The print pair finished and turned right side out, aren't they nice :o)   I'm proud of myself, as I am self taught on sewing and it is basic to say the least!

So those of your who are creative, let your minds go to work and recycle those sweaters( wool is best and be sure to shrink it down by washing and drying in a hot dryer before you begin)

The possibilities are endless; hats, slippers, scarves, etc....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. Thanks for sharing. Now, let me go see if I can find a sweater to recycly :)
Merry Christmas!

Kat said...

Awesome idea! Now I know what to do with those old sweaters. Blessings, Kat

Kids and Canning Jars said...

Oh my goodness.....I love this idea.. To bad we live in Southern Texas and cant really use them except once a year. I am still going to print this and add it to the ideas of things to recycle sweaters with... Thanks a ton.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

What a surperb way to re-cycle!! yes, they are really cute!! and free!!...debbie

Mama Mess said...

Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Nita said...

Kelle what fun this is for you and Cortney. I love opening your blog to see what the new day will bring. This is a great idea and would love to have you put this on the family site. I would but I don't know how to cut and paste. Keep warm and dry. Love you all

Tonia said...

I had seen this before and filed it away for later... Except I dont know where i filed it!!Lol Thankyou for reminding me! Mittens are warmer than gloves.

Anonymous said...

Your "new" mittens look great. I have been saving old wool sweaters to do this with. I am just missing the dryer (don't have one) but I may break down and ask the neighbor if I can use hers to try it sometime. Like "kids and the canning jar" we don't have much need for mittens in So. TX but I was thinking of fingerless mittens instead might be fun to make. sincerely, Emily

Hopeful said...

what a great idea!! they look really good and i KNOW they're gonna come in handy over there!

Kat said...

Now I am wishing I had all those accidently shrunken sweaters I had over the years! How cute. I may have to go to the thrift store and accidently shrink another one just for this project!!!

MrsBumppo said...

Kelle,

Love this idea, I shared it with some friends on my facebook!! Love your blog!!

Was wondering, if the spray waterproofing(like I use for my running shoes) would work on these to make them waterproof. Just a thought!!

with care,
Gina

small farm girl said...

That's a good idea!!!!!I'll have to give it a try!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...