Saturday, October 30, 2010

Making Kraut

Okay here is my disclaimer, if someone would share with me how to get videos to download onto Blogger. I did get one of the three videos, we made, to down load but the other two ( I tried twice) came up after an hour saying there was an error. They were all done on the same camera and basically the same length of time. They work great on my "Windows Media Player", so it's not the videos.
Below are some pictures we did take, but it won't be the same, sorry I'm so techno- challenged.

         This head of cabbage will make plenty of kraut, because I'm the only one who eats it in our house.
 Cut the head in half and remove the core.  The core is very tasty with a little salt, for those of you who enjoy turnip, radishes and kohlrabi.
 Now quarter it for easier handling in the kraut cutter
 This is a three blade cutter and fits nicely on top of a large bowl. I do have a larger cutter but it is bulky and hard to use, especially if you are only doing one or two heads of cabbage.
 This is a photo of the large cutter, it's only a two blade and actually shreds the cabbage much longer
 Place a quarter of cabbage in the cutter box, and add the lid, which you push down on as you draw the box back and forth across the cutters.  It takes some coordination to hold the board in place, draw the box to an fro, all the while pushing down on the lid, but it doesn't take long before you find a rhythm.
 It slices it evenly, quickly and without a whole lot of effort and if you are careful you won't even make much of a mess.  Once all you want cut in done, you'll need a crock or large glass container( I've used gallon glass jars before I found my 6 gallon crock at a garage sale 3 yrs. ago)  You'll want to make sure the container is clean, possibly even sterilize it with boiling water before packing in your cabbage.  Now add approximately 1/2 inch of shredded cabbage into the bottom of your container/ crock, now sprinkle with 1Tblsp. salt, may I suggest using sea salt or kosher salt, not table or iodized. Now use a large, heavy spoon or ladle or a wooden stomper and work the cabbage down, packing it tightly, now add another 1/2" layer of cabbage, more salt(you may use more than 1 Tblsp., I just don't like really salty kraut). Pack it tightly, you may begin seeing juice from the cabbage, you want this, thus the reason for the salt and packing the cabbage. Keep repeating this process until your container/ crock is with in 1 inch of the top or you've run out of cabbage. You should see quite a bit of liquid in your packed cabbage, if not don't panic, what you'll want to do is add enough boiled water( cooled to room temp) to cover your packed cabbage. Now you'll need to place a plate or wooden piece on top of the cabbage and push down until the liquid comes up around the plate, now add something heavy( I use an old sad iron) to keep it pushed down.  You'll now need to cover the top of your container, I use a flour sack towel, doubled over and held in place by a heavy duty rubber band.  Set in a well ventilated area( it will begin to smell, once fermintation begins)and a place that holds a temp of 65-70F. If it is warmer than that it ferments to quickly and often is spoiled and any cooler than that it will take longer to complete the fermentation. You'll notice bubbles and a sort of scum forming in the liquid( this is okay) but does need to be skimmed off once a week or as needed. If your liquid is diminishing you may add more boiled and cooled salt water, but ONLY if your kraut looks dry. When you skim the scum off the liquid, you can look at the cabbage and see if it is beginning to resemble kraut, it should also have a strong smell. After about two weeks take a taste and see what you think, if the cabbage is still crispy and doesn't have a transparent look you may want to let it keep going. If my memory serves me last year my kraut took between 3-4 weeks to suit my taste. When it's to your liking, you simply remove from crock/ container and heat slowly, stirring often, so you don't burn it, until hot.  Place into sterilized jars, seal and waterbath for 15 minutes.
Here is my crock about 1/3 full, which is plebnty for just me :o)  Now I wait*wink*  I hope this helps those wanting to try your hand at making homemade kraut. If you have any questions or anything that works well for you please leave a comment. You may also make kraut right in your pint or quart canning jars, see your Blue Ball Canning Guide for instructions.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Krout!! Had no idea that's how you made it. That's pretty neat. I guess the tricky part is waiting the 3 weeks! ...debbie

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I have been making sauerkraut for a few weeks now, and I LOVE it! I am using some (4 TBL per 1/2 gal or so) raw milk whey that I got from making some cheese, so you can use less salt. I want to keep the raw goodness of the kraut, so I am just putting it in the fridge after it has fermented to my liking. I also add some caraway seeds...YUM! Sure wish I had one of the kraut slicers....I just use my sharp knife.

Unknown said...

I HAVE ALWAYS READ ABOUT WEIghting it down w/ a plate...did I miss that part or is it not necessary?

Unknown said...

oops, found it!

Mr. H. said...

I enjoyed your wonderful tutorial on sauerkraut making and love the kraut cutter...I have never seen one before.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Great kraut cutter! We have sat for i-net but if we go over our bandwidth allotment, service s-l-o-w-s way down. All that to say, can't do videos so am not any help to you; other than to say your kraut looks delicious.

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, I love the cutter, too. We are big kraut eaters in our house. Thanks for all the instructions to make our own.

Mama Mess said...

Hey girlie! Thanks for this tutorial, very helpful as I've wanted to try making kraut for awhile!

About loading your vids........first go into your Windows media player and see if you can set the video up to email it. If you can find that option, then save it for email. Then use the vid that you saved for email to upload into blogger. The original vid is too big and takes forever to upload and sometimes won't work. So figure out how to save it for email and then use that one. Or else you can actually email it to yourself, then save it to your harddrive, then upload it. Hope this helps........if not feel free to email me and I'll try to explain in more detail.

Hopeful said...

wow, thanks for this post! i love sour kraut and also know some folks who like it and think i'd like to make some to add a jar here and there for Christmas presents! i'm excited to do this. yay!

Tracy said...

Great post! My son loves kraut, but I haven't been brave enough to try to make it yet. With these directions, maybe I should! He always complains that the kraut he tries in other places (restaurants, potluck dinners, etc.) don't taste "krauty" enough - haven't fermented long enough to have as strong of a taste as he would like. So at least I will have him handy to "taste test" a batch if I make it. (for me, I prefer that Kohl-rabi tasting cabbage core, while preparing, instead of the kraut itself).

Grandpa said...

Hi Kelle, I have tagged you in my latest post. Do you mind dropping by? Thanks!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Your kraut cutter is a twin to mine! Only I don't have a lid. I have put off making kraut but soon I won't have any excuses :)

Have you tried uploading on YouTube first and then you can just save the URL to the post - that works good for me on Wordpress, so I am not sure if Blogger works exactly the same, since I only have uploaded pics on Blogger.

Great post!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kelle, thanks so much for that tutorial heres one that was pleased as punch for your efforts..I have a "crock" I plan to use for making my kraut it doesn't have a wide mouth, I think it was made to churn butter. I also think it will dot he job ..I can't wait for cabbage to be on sale or wait for fall when I use my own, but i'd like to have it asap :o)...Thanks again, Ginny

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Gingerbread House,
I used qt canning jars for years, then moved up to gallon glass jars and when I was blessed to find our 5 gallon redwing crock, that is what I use. You crock should work just fine. Might I suggest that you get a wooden stomper, or something you can press down the cabbage with to work the moisture out. Then you'll need something to weight the cabbage down, such as a small plate, that will fit down into the opening and place a qt jar of water on top of that to keep the cabbage in the liquid.
Good Luck, it's such fun and so... tastey!

PS. I only use sea salt, but you can us non iodine salt as well.
Blessings,
Kelle

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kalle thanks for the final instructions :o) , I was able to print it out to follow, but lost it for the comment section..Thanks again , I think it's going to be great.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Hi Kelle, I think I have at least another week or so for my Kraut to be right!, I gave it a slight taste and it's very salty :o(, I felt I used too much in the beginning.
Can I "rinse" it before I do the heating up to put in jars?
Would that create a problem? Or shall I rinse it before it's ready? Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...