Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tomatoes!

What a wonderful blessing that word is! :o)
 After several years of struggling to get ripe tomatoes before a frost.... well this year with the hoop house we're not only enjoying ripe tomatoes well after several frosts, but the tomatoes are HUGE! The basket above is from just one days harvest. Now the only problem I have is jars, I'm running seriously low and really don't wish to buy new jars. So I put the word out and hope today that we'll find some. :o)
 Seed collection for next year  and our Anaheim chili peppers almost completely dry and ready to be ground.
Here are the bean pods Mike and Cortney collected( and the dried Painted Mountain corn), we'll worry about shelling them on a cold winters day or evening at the table, next to the warm and toasty wood cook stove :o)  Thankfully there are projects such as these that can be postponed for a later time*wink*

We've had a tough year when it comes to animal, losses. Our cow, Addy, was down and couldn't get up in the pasture on Monday evening. She did stand on Tues. morning but it was obvious that she'd pulled out her hip. We're not entirely sure if this was an injury from a few days earlier( as we were treating her for what we felt was a pulled muscle or tendon), gone bad. Anyway we'd already decided months earlier she was going into the freezer as hamburger, we were just holding off because we didn't have the room( hindsight is 20/20 don't you know*sigh*). When we called the butcher( they'll come and custom butcher right on your farm), he said she had to be able to walk, which she could NOT, otherwise she's classified as a "downer cow" and they by law couldn't butcher her. With no place cool enough to hang her to age we were now are faced with the fact that we're loosing all the meat. :o(   We went ahead and put her down( she was in pain) and a friend of ours brought over their loader( Mike was fit to be tied, he couldn't get our tractor with loader to start) and loaded her on our truck for us. She was to be hauled and buried in a pit they have for cows( in fact they had one that had been bitten by a rattlesnake that they had to put down the day before), then the state trapper showed up and asked about using the two cows as bait for coyotes. Since we know firsthand that a friend of ours has been struggling with her sheep being killed by coyotes all year we talked it over and decided that at least Addy's death was not going to be a total loss.
When you own animals things happen, we don't always understand, nor do we enjoy these things happening but you can either let it ruin your life or pick yourself back up and move forward. Loosing an animals is never easy, especially when you work closely with them and they become a friend. We're just so glad we opted to buy the bottle calf Cortney was raising for a friend, otherwise Button would be all alone and cows are, after all a herd animal.
Well, got to get moving we have laundry to finish today and tomatoes to run through the mill and cook down for sauce. :o)  I loose my righthand woman at 12:30pm today too, she's helping with an after school program for children *wink*
Blessings for your day!

15 comments:

Mama Mess said...

So sorry to hear about Addy! You are right, living near the land and raising animals isn't always pleasant, but it is for sure always worth it!

Lois Evensen said...

Awww, so sad about your cow. At least she is no longer in pain.

The tomatoes look marvelous. :))

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing your day.

I am sorry about your cow. It just shows us the circle of life.

Have a blessed evening.

Tracy said...

Aww.. that is a very sad loss of meat! I think I would be asking the butcher "If I butcher her myself and skin her out, can I just rent some freezer space to hang her?" (like people who kill/field dress their own deer) See if there is a work-around in the law (I realize the law about downed cows). We had to butcher a goat ourselves a year or so in similar circumstances - but that is a bit easier to chill than a whole cow!

Tonia said...

So sorry about Addy...
Yeah for the tomatoes! Thats great!

Mel said...

Lovely tomatoes!

Good bye Addy...

Blessings,
Mel

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I wish I was running out of canning jars. Unfortunately, we had an unusually hot summer and my garden just didn't do anything. I did manage to get enough cayenne peppers to make 4 pints of pepper sauce but that is it. I think we are going to consider making a small green house in the coming year.

Grace & Peace

Faith said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of Addy. Having grown up with family milk cows, and enduring the really painful losses of them myself, I know what you went through.

It is amazingly difficult to stay on top of what decision to make, when you are trying to balance all the factors. I remember my dad doing everything in his power to get one of ours up off the ground...

I wish you could have kept the meat, but I'm so glad the coyote project turned up at just the right time.

I think Anaheim peppers are my favorite ones. I have a bunch of mine drying out in the garden too; hanging on the pea trellis.

Yay on those tomatoes! I was going to harvest the last of mine, but I tasted them and they are almost completely flavorless. Maybe the cool weather.

~Faith

Linda said...

Kelle, I'm so sorry about Addy - I know what your animals mean to you.

Unknown said...

Addy crossed the rainbow bridge.. i am sure Addy would be happy there.

btw, the tomatoes look great!=]

Buy WoW DeathKnight

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thank you all for you comments and sympathy about Addy. "Life happens" is seriously here for us right now as we prepare for our first SNOW! It's forecasted to snow on Wens, next week and our highs are today are only into the low 40'sF. We're still digging beets, turnips and carrots( finishing it today) and have hoses to disconnect, roll up and blow out then hang in the shed, get our pump winterized, lawn mowers, tiller winterized, do a overall clean up of the garden( we decided not to till it this Fall, we'll wait until next Spring. At least the stove pipe is clean and the wood box filled, we also have more wood to cut and haul home for splitting.*sigh*
Sorry I didn't comment back to each of you, I just don't have the time right now :o)
Blessings,
Kelle

Alla said...

Tomatoes look great. I picked the last of mine green so they wouldn't freeze and then it didn't freeze. They're ripening though. Sorry about Addy. Those kind of things are always so trying. ALSO, I named you to participate in a meme called 'A DAY IN THE SLOW LIFE'. Visit my blog, take a look and join in if you'd like.

jean said...

Losing your animals, especially due to unpleasant circumstances is never easy. I'm glad you care about your animals. The tomatoes look delicious. We had beautiful bunches growing, almost ready to harvest, and wouldn't you know it...we had a very hard rain and that was that. Our first crop of tomatoes, too.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Such disturbing news, to loose your cow and winter meat. I hate losing animals but it's a necessary part of life and farming; my heart goes out to you all.

Lynn Bartlett said...

Hi Kelle,
I'm sorry you lost your cow. I know it's a fact of farm life, but it's still hard. We just lost a kitten a couple of days ago, it didn't know enough to stay away from the car. We've had lots of cats, too, but it still is hard.

I can relate to running low on canning jars. I have only 5 buckets of tomatoes left to can, but better go check storage for more jars! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...