Friday, April 30, 2010

Yesterday we had snow, rain and wind and so far today, a repeat.....

                     We need the moisture, so we're NOT complaining. Instead we're catching up on inside chores and our blog that has been neglected for to long, we've instead just been posting articles we think would be of interest to our friends. Well.... now is the time to catch you up a bit!*wink*
                   Mike gives me grief about hanging onto these branches( sucklers from our fruit trees), although
                    he does admit how handy they are when bundled properly. This was Cortney's chore and she
                   did a great job, see below!

This is just a portion of what she cut and bundled, there are approximately three times this amount.
Now to find a place to store them until our next burning season.  We also use these( apple wood) when BBQ'ing for added flavor.
Addy, ready to calve any day, actually today is her official due date! I'm praying she holds off for a bit warmer weather*wink*
Button, who is like a kid in the candy store, she heads for the flax lick ASAP as she's let out onto pasture.
The flax lick is for their reproductive health, to cleanse their internal organs, as well as supplement the minerals lacking in our area.  It sure makes their coats gleam!
Mike's been tilling off and on in the evenings. This will be a sort of pictorial of our garden. We're hoping you will be able to picture our garden layout. All the pictures pan to the right of where I'm standing, just for your info.*wink* 
You'll notice the three raised/ bermed beds in the background. The two covered with grass clippings for mulch have our onions planted in them. The longer bed is for our carrots and some herbs as pest control. Speaking of pest control, before planting your root crops, if you add DE( diatomaceous earth) in the farrow before planting your seed, this will deter root maggots.
Mike's been tilling, he loves to till when he has the time!  See the rhubarb, it's almost ready to be harvested for the first time! If you click on the photo, you'll also see the asparagus going to seed and the apple trees beginning to bloom.

Now in the foreground we'll be building a new raised bed for strawberries, down to the walking onions, then the garlic and beyond will be Spring garlic and our Sweet Dumpling squash.


The green is parsnip, left for seed collecting this Fall. This was our salad garden last season and this season will be our potato patch.
You see our pallet composting area as well as a black plastic composter( gifted to us). The black composter works but we've found it hard to mix in it. So.... we mix and turn in the pallet area, then when slightly composted we add to the black composter, to finish it off.  The area tilled used to be covered with pallets( we used to stack wood there), our branch collection, rolls of wire, and basic JUNK!!!!  We worked to clean this are up and will use it to transplant raspberries we thin from our original patch.
The grey house and shed are my parents home and beyond that( other side of their place) is our back pasture granary and main barn. To the left of their shed are the cows barns and the front pasture. Basically when you look at a Ariel view of our property, it looks like the state of TX. Our homes and gardens are in the panhandle area and the back orchard and pastures make up the rest.*wink*

This is a photo Cortney took while playing with setting on her camera. please click to make larger and you'll see it is quite a serene picture. If you look closely, you can hear the crickets and birds singing their songs before turning in for the evening.
Blessings to each of you. We're off to muck the barns and see if anyone wants out in this weather?*wink*

13 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Our daughter in Montana got snow yesterday, after having temps in the 70's!
High today is 80 and it is beautiful, but very breezy. Hoping to get out this afternoon and put in some weeding time.
Your place is beautiful, Kelle. Sure wish we were close enough to sit and visit!

Barbara said...

Wow unreal to hear of snow this time of year, been in the 80's here, looks like we may get some rain tonight, I been kinda resting all day. Kelle I love your blog, and I just love your farm, it is beautiful if we were younger we definitely would farm, the whole routine, now we settle for what we can do. Hugs my Friend, Barbara

Kat said...

I enjoyed the trip around the farm. Lots of work in all that gardening. Thank you.

Ranch wife said...

Kelle, thank you for stopping by and for the comment. I love your blog!! We are interested in many of the same things. I will be back.

~M~

Cheryl said...

I enjoyed seeing your garden, mine is so small when I look at all of your space, use to have a garden that size before we moved. Mine is small but we get all we can eat and can along with giving some away to family. Have to really cram it all in but it works.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the rain, but I sure as heck don't want any more snow!! We are still having morning frosts. Your gardens look so nice and tidy. cant wait to see them filled with nice fat veggies!!...debbie

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Can I use a duster to spread DE?

Love the update. Thanks, as usual, for the inspiration!

Lynn Bartlett said...

We will receive the same weather as you've been experiencing starting tonight! They are predicting an inch of snow by tomorrow night. Yuck! And just this morning Jonathan picked up 200 Cornish Cross chicks at the post office. The guys are working on keeping them warm over the weekend. And then 60 degrees again on Monday!

Love your farm, and I have lots of questions for you!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Cyn,
It's crazy I know, but in truth we always get this sort of weather, just about the time the apple trees are blooming*sigh*
Well when you come back to MT for a visit we'll have to make plans for a visit, okay?

Barbara,
Thanks you for your compliments and let me tell you we have days when we wonder what we've gotten ourselves into*wink* Definately feeling my age too, LOL!!!! Hugs and prayers :o)

Kat,
I've missed you. I know you too are very busy, but we need to make a point of visiting each other's blogs more frequently( I'm guilty of not making the time). Glad you liked the tour, wish it was for real, wouldn't that be fun?
Blessings and productivity for your weekend.

Ranch wife,
You are welcome and the pleasure was ours. Your blog feels like HOME :o) We'll visit when we can and you do the same, we'd love it!

Cheryl,
Actually our garden is much to large, but it's like an addiction and I just can't help myself*wink* I'm definately a glutton for punishment*wink* I know what you mean about having plenty, we always have plenty for ourselves, family, friends and neighbors as well as to sell ;o) As long as it's enjoyable we'll keep gardening. Sounds like you feel the same way.

Debbie,
How's your eye? Thank you for you compliments on the garden. We can't wait to get to planting and watching it all grow( even the weeds are fun, at first*wink*) Have a very blessed and relaxing weekend!

Michaela,
I just sprinkle it by hand, remember not to breath in the dust. When we use it on the chickens we wear rubber gloves and good quality dust masks. Works great on cabbage( at the base/ on the soil, for slugs and on the cabbage as you see the cabbage moths, sprinkle the leaves with DE. Just be sure you wash before eating, actually if ingested it won't hurt you, in fact will rid you of some parasites*wink*
Blessings and stay warm!

Lynn,
The winds are horrible, at least they were here. I swear this morning it was well below 0 with the windchill, ridiculous for end of April!
I'm praying for no wind so we can install the plastic on the hoophouse, I'm excited to get the raised beds going and move our tomatoes, okra and peppers out there.
Ask away, I'll do my best to answer and if I don't know we'll learn together*wink*, because I am still learning too*wink* I just finished reading a book written by a woman in MT on short/ cold season gardening. I re-read the sections on companion gardening three times. I find it so interesting which herbs like which veggies and so on, also the ones that dislike one another. I had to rearrange my 2010 garden plan, for better gardening with natural pest control. The name of the book is; "Organic Gardening in Cold Climates" by Sandra Perrin Thanks for stopping in to chat, I know how busy you are. Look forward to hearing from you.
Blessing and stay warm over the weekend,
Kelle

small farm girl said...

I like seeing how your garden is laid out. I'm tring to get more ideas when we move down to our other house. I might even try strawberries next year. YEA!

Faith said...

I love seeing your garden beds each spring. They are always so neat and tidy.

I've heard that apple wood makes really nice firewood. I thought 'How awful to cut an apple tree down,' but neglected to think of what you are doing, bundling up the cuttings.

Terrific idea!

~Faith

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SFG,

Your new house and yard/gardens will be beautiful I know!*wink*
I'm going to transplant some and also buy some new from the greenhouse in the city.
Today we finished transplanting raspberries to the new bed behind the garage. Hoping to expand our crop, to enable us to seel more at Farmer's Market.

Faith,
Yes, they are neat and tidy and by the end they are a weedy mess,LOL *wink*
We didn't take down a tree, those are simply the sucklers and deadwood we trim in late winter. I figure why burn them in a pile, they dry quickly and make excellent fire starters! I do this with all the trees we cut for firewood too, Mike just laughs when I start loading the small branches onto the trailer. He also knows it saves us splitting good firewood into kindling, so he just smiles now. :o)
Blessings,
Kelle
Betting your place is shaping up too*wink*

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Great job on the twig bundling. I bet they would also be beautiful if spray painted white or black and arranged in a vase.
As to calving...the nastiest, coldest, wettest night is the best time; predators aren't out and about.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...