Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Update of what we've been up to lately

Just thought we'd catch you up on some of the Never Done Farm happenings;

The escapee, " Boy is is nice to be away from that crowd!"


" I wonder what it's like in the big world below?"

" Okay, I'm lonely, how do I get back with my friends; Peeeep, Peeeep!"
Cortney's bottle lambs, aren't they precious? Both are boys, soon to be it's, they were banded
yesterday.
This one's name is Brownie
and this is Sonny.
Now, before the wise acres have a chance to say it( and you know who you are*wink*)
Yes, that's me doing a great job of spreading manure*wink*
Here I'm really flinging it, LOL!  So glad we decided to take the time to get the manure spread on the fields
and hauled to the gardens( to be spread by hand, okay not literally we do use a shovel*wink*), this past weekend.

Yesterday besides the regular chores, we did manage to spread some of the manure in the garden and I got the grape vines cut back, praying I didn't kill them*wink*, but they really needed it! I also managed to get a few of our flower gardens cleaned up a bit, but won't do the final cleaning until beginning of May, just in case of frost. 
Addy, our Dexter cow is due on the 30th, so will begin watching her closely. She is beginning to bag up but no sign of discharge yet.  We're so excited to see this new calf, and Cortney is praying for twins( I'm not), just a health and happy calf will be a blessing.
We still have raspberries to cut back and thin, strawberries to transplant, the hoophouse to complete, our seedlings to transplant and move into the mini greenhouse, once the lambs are in their pen full time. Right now with their feedings every three hours, we wanted to keep them a bit closer to the house for Cortney's sake, so they overnight in the greenhouse and then are returned to their pen during the day.
Today is rainy and gloomy, but the remainder of the week is forecasted to be very nice. I look forward to getting back outside, doing clean up and garden prep. Today is a good day to run to the city for some needed items, after we get a few loads of laundry done and hung on the drying racks around the wood stove( which is going to take off the damp chill that was beginning to set in*wink*)

6 comments:

Mama Mess said...

It's just never done is it! I wouldn't have it any other way though and I know you wouldn't either! Question......do you use any type of fabric softener? I'd love to dry all my clothes on the line, but The Paintiff and The Youngun tend to grumble about "drying off with sandpaper" LOL! I don't use any type of fabric softener now and just wondered if you used any?
Here's hoping for some good weather for you, even though you said you did need the rain! God Bless!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

GW,
I add 1/2 c. cider vinegar to our clothes, in the rinse water and they seem softer, not sure why it works. Towels are scratchy, unless you have a good windy day, then they soften up.
Here's a hint, if you have a dryer, dry the clothes until 90% dry on the line, then bring in and air fluff them for a few more minutes, that is what I did when we had our dryer, for towels especially.

NOTHING smells fresher than clothes dried on a line and PS. the vinegar smell doesn't seem to affect the clothes smell either.*wink*
Blessings,
Kelle

Anonymous said...

My goodness! Just look at you slinging all that sh....! Good job! You are multi-talented my friend!! need that rain! April showers bring May flowers!!...debbie

small farm girl said...

Okay, I'm not going to say any smart remark about the manure. (But you know I want to soooo bad. lol) I can't wait for your cow to calf either. I love when a new calf if born. We just had a new one 2 days ago.

Kat said...

Nice post of everyday life. I enjoy your blog.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Debbie,
See I knew there would be a few who'd see it that way*wink*
We got a whole dy of nice off and on again showers, so we're doing much better now and boy am I glad we spread the manure when we did, now everything is sure to grow by leaps and bounds,LOL!

SFG,
I knew you'd want to*wink*, just know how you think*wink*.
We can't wait either for our calf to get here! The fresh milk is the added bonus :o)

Kat,
Thank you and we enjoy yours as well, in fact there are days I'm so inspired by your blog to get out and accomplish something, even if it isn't much( you know when life gets overwhelming a few times a year)*wink*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...