Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It is with a VERY sad heart I say.......

Good bye and Rest in Peace Bessie.



As many you know she was approx. 19 yrs old. A month or so back she hurt her right ankle joint. Well, this never completely healed and with age she recently began having problems getting up. We switch her to Addy's stall, because it was bigger affording her more room to work at getting up, instead of getting up in a corner where she couldn't get up. She did well for several days getting up without much problem, that is until yesterday morning she had to try a couple of times and again this morning it was the same. We feed at around 6 am and she had trouble getting her back legs under her this morning, but she did get up on the second try. Later in the morning Cortney and I go out to let the girls out and clean barns( about 10 am) Bessie was lying down but just simply couldn't get up, even with our help. I called Mike, this is a situation we'd been discussing for a few weeks, and told him she was down and couldn't get up even with our help. He said to give her water and feed where she was at and watch her close. Around about 11 am it started to rain, and Bessie was NOT in her barn, but rather out in the pen. I tried to get her to rise with my help but she refused. I again call Mike he says he'll come home and put her down, I said No, call the vet you can't do that anymore than I could. The vet arrived within the hour and put Bessie down. Our vet said it looked as if she'd pulled a stifle out when trying to get up. No wonder she quite trying she knew it wasn't going to happen. I know it's for the best but it doesn't stop the heartache for loosing such a sweet,wonderful cow.

May you be grazing in never ending green pastures ole Bessie, we're going to miss you.







19 comments:

DianeLynn said...

My mere words cannot truly bring you comfort...but I do know how you are feeling.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I am SO sorry. Putting down a pet has to be one of the hardest things ever. It sounds like she gave you many faithful years.

Kathryn said...

I'm sorry. It is so hard to lose someone in your life, person or animal. Animals give us so much & it is hard to let them go.

Hope that this won't be too . . .

Sorry, no words. I'm sad you lost her.

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I have tears. I don't know what to say. Bless you all!

Andora said...

I am sitting her with tears in my eyes,I am so sorry,I know we really get attached to our animaals,you had her for a long time..and when they get that old it's best they don't suffer...
take care Kelle...

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thank you all for caring and even shedding tears. I cried for the first few hours after it was done. Then I prayed and a calm just came over me and I know she's in a better place. I'm actually thankful this happened now and not when it was bitter cold, she always hated the bitter cold.

We only owned Bessie for 6 yrs. but it was a blessed 6 yrs. This cow was special, she raised her own calves and then even adopted bum calves. She was loving and it made my day to see her big brown eyes, excited to see the hay coming!

She will be missed, but NEVER forgotten.
Thank you again for all your kind words, it means the world to all of us.
Blessings,
Kelle

small farm girl said...

Oh Kelle, I'm so sorry! It's like losing a part of the family. Well, she was part of the family. Once again I'm sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers.

sfg

Linda said...

Kelle, I'm so sorry. I know your soft, tender heart for all your animals in your family. All of you will miss her. luv you, dear.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I am so very sorry you lost your Bessy. She was a beautiful cow. It is so hard to put down our pets. I don't even know her and it brought tears for you. I am so sorry...debbie

Tonia said...

I am so sorry.. I know it has to be hard. But glad she didnt suffer!

The Craftivist said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like she was a beloved friend. God bless.

Sunny said...

I'm truly sorry for your loss.
Sunny

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh goodness. It's always so hard to say goodbye; my heart goes out to you. We've lost eight animal friends this year and I'm hoping to exit the year by losing no more. Although my sheep flock is aging and I see signs of old age every time we visit.
sigh.

Beck's Country Living said...

Iam so sorry I know how you feel about her it is better than leting her stay in the shape she was in now she is in a green place eating all the grass she can

Sunny said...

I am so sorry to read of your loss. May Bessie alway have green pastures.
Sunny

Carol............. said...

What a sweet looking animal she was. I know she'll be in your heart forever. Having animals myself I know how difficult it is to loose one. I so sorry.

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

Oh, I'm so so sorry. I can't say I know all of how you are feeling, but We had to put down two of our milk goats this past spring. It was very hard for me, for a while. God bless and I will say a prayer for you.
Kelly

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thank you all, the first day was pretty teary, but we knew this was coming someday, she wasn't going to live forever. As my Aunt Linda said I am tender hearted and have a connection to certain animals on the farm( the horse and dairy cows) The rest I know are here to serve a the purpose of meat so keep them at a distance. Otherwise we'd just have a farm of animals and they'd all live until the were old,*wink* I just don't have the rancher mentality for the animals closest to us. A friend stopped by the day we put Bessie down and she asked if we were going to make her into burger, the look on my face must of been of horror, because she recanted right away.

Mike dug a nice grave for her and we got her buried last night. This is the place she loved, enjoyed a year of retirement and is now buried.

Thank you all for your kind words, we'll be fine and we know she's enjoying the green pastures for eternity now.

Blessings,
Kelle

Judy said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose and animal and it's hard.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...