Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Good Morning!

We thought maybe you'd like to see the greetings we receive each
and every morning!

Ole' Bessie, not looking bad for 19 yrs old, Huh!
Button with her usual, "I'm Bored" look.
Addy, she's the lazy one of the three, taking her own sweet time to get

up. You see in the background, Button is already looking to play,

"Let's head butt", with Bessie. Bessie will play for awhile and then

simply puts her weight into Button and pushes her away, Button takes

the cue and looks to play with someone else then.

This is Clint( black), he's a Black Austrolop, with JR( mutt roo) in the

background.

This is some of what we'll be working on today. We're making, End of

the Garden Relish, Sweet Pickle Sticks and Herbed Green Beans

We also have enough tomatoes to run them through the Victorio

Strainer and can tomato juice, YEAH! Then there is corn to pick,

shuck, blanch, cut off cob and freeze and let us not forget the

raspberry patch that NEED to be picked daily now!

Some windfall apples from our trees. These will be washed,

cored and cut , then steamed for the juice to make apple jelly.

The wind blew last night, so we'll have double this amount now.

I'm praying they hold on the tree for a few more weeks, because

we need to make and can pie filling and sauce. We have plenty of

apple butter left from last seasons small crop.

The early sweet corn is finished, so now we're pulling up a row a

day and feeding it to the cows and horse, they love it!

Cantaloupe is ripening slowly, and they aren't as sweet as in

previous seasons, must be the lack of heat?

As soon as we get the majority of the garden wrapped up, we'll

get our sauerkraut started, the freezer slaw made, carrots,

and potatoes dug and in the cellar. The onions are already dug

and curing and will go into the cellar this week sometime.

We haven't harvested as many herbs this season, but we

have plenty left from last seasons garden.

The green house is full again with newly started herbs, for

fresh herbs all winter, and planters of lettuce mix and even

a planter of cat grass for Callie. Cortney experimented

this Spring with planting carrots in a planter, the results

were poor. The planter carrots were woody, and didn't

grow to any length. PTL! they store so well in the cellar.

We'll even have a few beets to store as well.

May your day be full of blessings and productivity. :o)



8 comments:

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

What cuties! I get the I'm bored look a lot too from my Beagle Boy, Elvis. But thismorning he was jumping and throwing happy fits.LOL.

Have a great day!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I love the pictures! Lots of bloggers are posting end of season pics today, it seems. Always so bittersweet.

Andora said...

You are very very busy,and you aint gonna starve this winter..I was wondering when you talk about making and canning the pie filling,what exactly is that and what all is in it..if you don't mind me asking..I love your blog,it reminds me of all the farming we did growing up..mom and dad had 15 of us kids,so we did a lot of canning and drying..take care..

DianeLynn said...

Oh lovely faces. I get chickens and 3 dogs and a cat in the morning.
Your veggies look beautiful and I imagine your relish will taste great too.
I truly look forward to reading you blog...thank you.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SBF,
Tuffy, our border collie cross, is so energetic and gets up and rearing to go in the morning! So we can relate to "Happy Fits"!

Michaela,
Glad to see you post on our blog! Yes, I agree gardening coming to a close is bitter sweet, but I also PTL for our different seasons. Winter is our rest and recover time,*wink*

Andora,
Thank you for our compliments, glad you like our blog. It isn't anything fancy and we hope people feel at home when they visit.
PS. I posted the "Apple Pie Filling" recipe as well as a few of our other family favorites. Enjoy and stop in again soon.

Diane,
Welcome! Glad you stopped in and we pray you'll come back again soon. I posted the recipe for the "End of the Garden Relish" So give it a try, you'll love it!

Thank for all the comments, and compliments for our blog. Come back and chat again soon!

Faith said...

Oh, you have everything so much better organized and under control than I do.

I'm envious! LOL

Great job on all that. I've still got so many apples and pears to do. I have no idea when I can do them. :(

~Faith

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I'm actually anticipating the colder weather as well. I can't wait to break my new oven in properly with all the baking I desire to get accomplished!!!

Rest & recover..... What's that? LOLOL

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Faith,
No, No! you are far more organized than I. Plus remember I now have much more FREE time since we are finished home schooling, I KNOW how much time and energy that takes from a day.

My two bushel baskets of apples are still sitting in the mudroom and ther is now another bushel basket full on the ground. I'm at the same point as you, trying to take care of the items in the most need, before spoilage sets in*sigh*

I'm getting excited to get the garden cleaned up and tilled under, I'm at the point were I don't want to see another weed, cucumber, corncob, cantalope, bean, etc... The only thing I'm still looking for are tomatoes. We finally got enough to can 5 qts of juice, Wahoo!!!! Praying our heat hold out, because they are really ripening now!

Michaela,
A new stove, how wonderful! I'm just looking forward to getting our wood cookstove cleaned and ready for it's first fire of the season, YEAH! There is really NOTHING better than bread or biscuits baked in the wood cookstove's oven.

Since we're all being careful about what we're eating baking isn't nearly as fun, because if we bake it we eat it*sigh*

It's always our goal to rest and relax in the winter, but it really doesn't come about as we plan. I'd rather be busy than have idle hands, keeps us out of trouble*wink*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...