Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The energizer bunny is in serious.....

need of a recharge! I told Mike a few days ago I feel as if I could sleep for a week, no lie!

Okay we're still canning, PTL, and working on garden clean up. The tomatoes in the bushel basket are ripening quicker than I'd hoped, we're able to run a batch through the Victorio Mill every other day. Yesterday Cortney and I decided Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches sounded good for supper, so we milled the tomatoes that were ripe and cooked down, adding seasoning and spices to get that rich homemade tomato soup taste. Just before serving we add a touch of table cream or heavy whipping cream to each bowl and stir in well. YUM, YUM! It hit the spot and what was left over I canned in 4 pint jars yesterday. along with qt. jars of apple sauce.

Tomato Soup
4c. chopped tomatoes
3-1/2 c. chopped onion
2-1/2 c. chopped celery( I substituted in 1Tbsp. celery seed)
2c, sweet pepper
1c. sliced carrot
5 bay leaves( I substituted in 1 Tbsp. sweet basil and only added 2 bay leaves)
1/2 tsp ground clove
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 c. brown sugar( I reduced this as 98% of our tomatoes were Roma and quite sweet on there own, suit this to your taste)
2 tsp sea salt

Combine tomatoes, onion, celery, peppers, carrots, and herbs and spices in large pot and simmer until veggies are tender. Puree' in blender and return to pot adding sugar and salt, simmer 15 min. and taste test.

To can ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving 1" head space. Process 20 minutes for lints and 30 min. for quarts at the needed pounds needed for your altitude( ours is 12lbs)

Enjoy :o)


Today we have so much to do, because there is a storm front moving in tonight. Our daytime temps. today are to be in the mid 80's F and the remainder of the week into the low 50'sF. We have apples to pick up before mowing the orchard areas. Mike mowed the main yard on Sunday while Cortney and attended a candle party and a Pampered Chef party. We've run out of bushel basket and buckets, so have to dump a basket of apples in our kitchen sinks. Laundry is about half finished and I'd like to set a goal to get it completely finished today and hung on the lines to dry before bad weather hits, otherwise they will be on drying racks around the house. We need to dig spuds and carrots and collect the remaining onions left out to dry before adding them to the cellar. We have 15+ heads of cabbage to collect as well, but I think if we tarp them they'll fair well as they are a cold weather crop. It seems old man winter is getting a leg in the door, just as Fall has officially begun. It's fore casted later this week that we may get SNOW!

Well, the washer is calling and we need to collect clothes from the lines before hanging the two loads we have waiting in the basket. The wind is blowing, so this is a blessing.

Take care and praying your day is as productive as we pray ours is.*wink*

7 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

LOVE homemade tomato soup! I did chicken noodle yesterday with some wonderful bread. This kind of weather brings out the soup recipes for sure!
Our daughter in MT says snow is predicted there this week. Yikes! Our 1st frost is comin up on us right quick, so anything that's left in the gardens needs to get brought in soon!

Anonymous said...

I love tomato soup and grilled cheese. Was your cheese home made too? The tomato soup recipe looks so good. Seems like you still have so much produce to get in before the cold hits! eeek. and laundry...goodness. I'm worn out just reading about it!...debbie

small farm girl said...

You didn't just say the "s" word,did you? Okay, I don't feel so bad about our 45 degree nights. Thanks for putting everything in perspective. lol. Batten down the hatches.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Your busy days sound very familiar to this Ozarks farm chick. We too have a storm blowing in tonight through tomorrow. Ya know, damaging winds, large hail and tornadoes. I could live without all of the above. Temp this morn' on the Ponderosa was 38 but the days are still getting very warm.

I enjoyed my read, so glad I stumbled in. Ya'll have a productively blessed day!!!

Tonia said...

Busy busy!! Its cool here of course not cool enough for snow though. We have been down in the 40's at night and 60-70's in the day.. But its warming up slightly to 50's at night and 60's during the day.
The soup sounds great!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your recipe. We love tomato soup and will try this version soon!

Jodi aka One Blessed Mama said...

Kelle-
Girlfriend, you are inspiration! I am learning so much from your blog. You have great ideas! I don't know if you have read a whole lot of my blog but I am a suburb girl longing for the country. Our family has a farm about 10 miles out of town and I would love to have my own someday... I'll keep coming by... Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...