Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Yellowstone National Park, through Cortney's eyes

The famous attraction at Yellowstone National Park, Bison and
I think the wolves are the next biggest! Sadly the wolves have done far
more harm, especially to the elk population. It's an ongoing debate in
Montana and Wyoming, because the wolf packs have migrated out of
the park and are now targeting the ranchers livestock. Wolves kill
not only to eat but for the fun of it. I'm torn, I see the frustration and loss
for the ranchers, but yet these wolves didn't get here by themselves
either, it was the environmentalists who fought to have them
re-introduced. They had to be introduced, why, because they were
killed by ranchers trying to protect their stock and it's happening again.

Bison have caught there fair share of the blame as well, with the
Brucellosis issue and again sadly it isn't there fault. The spreading
of this disease, which causes cattle to abort their calves, is in large
part due to it's a disease that's been around for a long.... long... time
and elk are also carriers, more so than bison. The elk calve, in the
same areas the ranchers have their cattle and thus the spread of
disease continues. Don't get me wrong, all of the animals need to be
controlled for the health of the animals themselves as well for the area
ranchers.

Bison drinking
More bison( buffalo) grazing, there are plenty to see in the park.
A bull elk( and Cortney's finger*wink*), still showing signs of being in

velvet. These animals are accustom to onlookers and getting their

pictures taken, but they are still wild animals. Many people think they

are tame and every year the park has incidents of injury to people,

some fatal.

I remember, when I was about 12 yrs old and our family went camping in

and around Yellowstone Park, we saw a man walk out to a HUGE bull

elk and lift up a child as if to set the child on the elk.

My Dad said,"We're leaving, someone is going to get hurt!"

The man even grabbed one side of elk's antlers,

Yikes!

Cortney with one of the falls of the Yellowstone River in the

background.

She loves waterfalls, so took plenty of pictures*wink*
Here is a view from the walkout platform, it's a long way down. You can

virtual tour of the park online and get all the wonderful info.


This is a young moose, it's mother is just off to the right of the photo( out

of view)

It's kind of hard to see them( click to enlarge the photo) and you'll see

mama and baby. They are awesome creatures and until you see one

up close you don't realize just how big they are. My Dad and Jon, our

son, were lucky enough to get permits and both filled them. This

happened on different years, my Dad got his cow and then 4-5 yrs later

Jon got a yearling bull( no paddles) This is one of the finest wild game

meats I've eaten, very lean and tender.

Can you find the chipmunk? The gang stopped for lunch and these little

guys showed up and begged like mad for a treat!

I still have whitewater rafting and zip line pictures to post. She had a

great time and saw old friend, made so many new ones and that is

a blessing indeed.


6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I grew up in Bozeman, so spent quite a lot of time in Yellowstone. One of my favorite places on earth.

My hubby & i went there for our honeymoon (& part of the time at a B&B outside Bozeman) & we got the best pics! I wish we could go again for our 5 yr anniversary (next month!) but not possible. Saving that for another time, i guess.

Thanks for sharing (& making me homesick!)

Folks do some stupid things. When we were at the N entrance of the park (near Gardiner) there were a lot of elk in that section. A bull elk was doing a lot of damage to cars that drove up next to him to get his pic.

Andora said...

Thanks for shareing the photos..that is one place i'd like to go before I go to the happy here after.I can't imagine seeing all the wild life there...take care...

small farm girl said...

What beautiful country! Tell Cortney I got her postcards. I was soooooo suprised! I really enjoyed them. I'm glad she had fun.

Mama Mess said...

Looks like a lovely lovely trip! Such nice pics! I like the waterfall ones best! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Good job of photographing your trip! I'm sure you had the greatest time!! It's a beautiful park. I can just hear the roaring of the falls! Must have been noisy!thanks for sharing your trip!! I enjoyed it!...debbie

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Kathryn,
Sorry for making you homesick. BTW Happy Early Anniversary! We also saw a mama moose hit a pickup truck so hard that she tipped it onto it's side. They are wild and nothing to mess with, especially mothers protecting their young.

Andora,
We live right here( just 80 miles from the Livingston entrance) and don't go like we should.
If you get the chance to go, my personal favorite fun time is Fall. In the mornings the trees are covered with frost and it looks like tiny diamonds hanging on every tree and bush. It's also fun to go in the mid Spring, when the animals are birthing. Warning: this can also be a harsh reality for the cruelty of nature. My Dad went this Spring and the wolves stalk the elk cows and wait until they are birthing and literally tear the calf from her as she giving birth. It's nature, but that's just to gruesome for me.

SFG,
Cortney thought you'd like those cards. I wasn't sure if you'd seen any pictures of Yellowstone National Park. She had a wonderful time!

Good wife,
I love the falls too, the sound is unreal, yet very peaceful.
Cortney was disapointed with the cheap disposable cameras she bought. She is planning on saving for a digital camera with extra cards for the next trip.

Debbie,
Hows your tooth! I read about the brownie and tooth and felt your pain. Cortney said your compliment is sweet, but she doesn't have your eye. The noise from the falls is loud, yet very peaceful. Your welcome, it's best seen in person though. The hot pools are simply lovely. You can do a vitual tour online, it's quite fun and you'll learn a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...