Monday, August 24, 2009

I don't like the signs I'm beginning to see!

Well..... as you know and I've said it before we've had the Summer without Summer and now yesterday I see the cottonwoods are already changing in color. Cortney and I have so much catch up work on weeding and with all the harvesting, canning, freezing and add now working on getting our hoop house in place over the tomatoes. The maters look wonderful but are GREEN as can be! We need to get some heat on them, otherwise we'll need to find lots of recipes for green mater and right now green mater spaghetti sauce, chili sauce or tomato sauce doesn't sound to good!

Let's see I have to think in reverse now to see what we've been up to since the last blog, Hmmmm.

Watering the garden has kept up busy, especially since you have to douse yourself in DEEP WOODS OFF to kind of fend off the skeeters. Let me tell you it's miserable trying to weed or pick produce and they are dive bombing you, literally trying to suck you dry!!!

Friday morning and early afternoon was spent prepping for Farmer's Market. Dad and Mom joined in, and helped Cortney pick pole beans, while I picked cucumbers and bush beans. When this portion of the harvest was done we have 10 gallon sized bags of Kentucky Wonder pole beans and 2 gallon bags of Boccochia bush beans and approx. 25 slicing sized cukes. Next we harvested carrots, beets, spinach and I cut two Flat Dutch cabbage and two Red Rock cabbage. Actually we were packed and ready to go 30 minutes before we needed to leave, so took a breather.

Once we arrived people started coming over, even before we were set up. We sold out of carrots ( 6 bunches, approx. 1lb each), sold 6 bags of beans, of the 5 bags of spinach, we returned with two. and sold out of cukes. The beets weren't as good a seller this time and we found out onions don't sell at all. I thought fresh garlic would sell too but it has had very little activity. It was a pleasant afternoon at the market and we had several repeat customers. We didn't take baked goods for lack of time, but the lady next to us had several items and another vendor had pies and they all sold out. One thing that struck me funny is that several of the people buying from us, weren't even sure how to cook the veggies, let alone have any idea of recipes. If I can get organized enough maybe it would be a good selling point to have sheets of recipes for the veggies we sell, to hand out! I guess because we eat and cook from scratch it NEVER dawned on me that not everyone does that, in fact one lady said," I'll be able to fix a meal, so we can eat at home for once." We'll be able to sell for sure at this coming Friday's market, but the following Fri(Sept. 4th) we'll be busy preparing for Cortney's small BBQ gathering for her graduation on the 5th.

Speaking of the BBQ for Cortney's graduation, we NEED to get the garden/yard and house into shape, as well as fix , coleslaw, baked beans and a fruit salad of sorts. It's been a long haul doing home schooling, but it's worth it and we get to have a party to celebrate. The only other kind of a party that would be as much fun, will be our mortgage burning party and we're praying that will be soon!

Since the firewood lean to was completed, Mike has hauled home a load of wood and the splitter, to split what is already here. On Friday morning my Dad started splitting wood and ran into problems with the splitter, so had to stop. Mike brought home the needed parts with the intention of getting it up and going early Sat. morning, but alas late Fri. evening a friend called and asked if we wanted to bale some straw for our own use. Well..... we need the straw for winter bedding for the cows and it is almost FREE( we'll insist they take something for the straw) so.... Mike gets the tractor and baler hooked up and heads off to the field to bale. He returns about an hour later and says the three windrows netted us 106 bales of straw, WaHOOO!!! You see last year Mike didn't have time to do this when the friend offered, so we ended up buying large round bales from the same friend, but they are a pain in the backside to get straw off of. Small bales just work so... much better for Cortney and myself. Mike and I went to load the straw last Sat. afternoon. My one concern was the place we had to enter the field was muddy and we had to drive through a small ditch. Anyway we loaded the straw on the truck and trailer and headed for the way out. Mike's truck is only a two wheel drive, so tried to stay on the drier side of the entrance. Okay truck made it through but...... the dual axle trailer was stuck and the truck just spun it's wheels. So Mike calls on cell and tells Cortney to bring the three wheeler over and pick him up. I wait in the truck, fighting off skeeters, soon enough I see Mike and his tractor coming. He hooked onto the truck with a chain and I was to drive the truck slowly as he pulled with the tractor. Ya, you bet, I'm nervous, I hate trucks and I don't want to be yelled at. So I have to do this, let the clutch out slowly, give it a little gas, wait a minute Mike is yelling to get off the gas" CUT IT!" is the sign I'm getting. It seems and I admit that in all the excitement I was giving it a bit much gas, but we're out so all is good, right? Did I say I hate trucks, so I took the tractor home, while Mike drove the truck and trailer. I get along with the tractor fine*wink*

Yesterday Mike was up and gone by 6 am. on a wild land fire just East of us. It was ignited the evening before by lightening and evidently there were some missed hot spots that reignited. He returned home around 11:30 am and asked Cortney and I if we were ready to go. We asked where and he said someplace, anyplace, we all just NEED to get away for the afternoon. Some chore needed to be finished and clothes changed and we were off to the city. We decided a movie might be just the ticket. The last time we'd been to a theater was when, "The Passion" came out. We decided we'd try the BRAND new theater, it has 14 screens! We didn't even know what was playing until we got there. We decided between G.I. Joe and District 9, our choice District 9, because I wasn't feeling up for war games. Wrong choice, District 9 was really weird, I think G.I.Joe would have been the better choice*sigh* The matinee cost was $6.50, it used to be $4, that is part of why it's so long between this sort of treat, way to spendy for our budget and then the movie is weird to boot!

Back home in time for Mike to work on fixing the wood splitter and splits some wood. In the meantime Cortney and I snapped approx. 5 gallons of beans and we still have 4 more to go.

Today we're doing laundry( although it's grey and ugly outside, again!) canning beans and hopefully weeding in the garden, if we can stand the skeeters for long enough. There is a slight breeze so better get a move on it in the weeding dept.

Well that's the excitement from here!

Blessings for your week from,

The new tractor driver, move over Jon you lost your place!

12 comments:

small farm girl said...

Sounds like the farmers market is really taking off for you guys. That's great! You are right, people don't know how to cook from scratch anymore. My sister wanted to know how to make corn. CORN! How hard is corn?! Oh well.

sfg

Kathryn said...

I found District 9 really weird, too. Hubby justified it because of the "wonderful CGI" but i wasn''t too impressed.

Tonya Gunn said...

Hi Kelle!
I enjoyed reading of your experiences with the farmer's market!
Wonderful.
And, oh and I bet you will be very busy with the graduation party coming up.
Many warm wishes,
Tonya

Anonymous said...

Phew! I'm plum worn out just reading your post!! It seems like you are a never ending whirlwind of activity around your house! You must sleep good at night...unless you have too many skitter bites to keep you awake! lol...debbbie

Farming On Faith said...

We too are having many signs of an early Fall! Missouri has been very cool and rainy this year. My Mums are blooming!

DianeLynn said...

WOW...you guys are kept busy eh?
It has been slow here and the weather on the cool side for us...though we are to heat up later in the week. Glad the fires didn't catch up at your place, it is so dry here we keep our fingers crossed. Good luck with the skeeters...I know how you feeling, they love me too.
Blessings

The Old Gray Egg said...

We have put out recipes in the past for our produce, and they are very popular. The problem is that a lot of people want the recipe, but don't want to buy any produce. Either make lots of copies, or be hard nosed about distributing to customers only.

Ditto on the disappointment of movies. When we need a break, I say "Let's go fishin'". Peaceful and relaxing even if the fish aren't biting.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It's the same around here...late frost killed my first garden and cold weather has stunted my second garden. Green tomatoes but slow getting red, everything else is just...not.

Sadge said...

I've been working a bicycle valet at our Farmers Market a few times this summer. There's a fresh garlic booth nearby, and he's started braiding his garlic into bunches of 3's and 6's with a little twine wrapper/hanger, and sells out every single time.

Faith said...

I have heard that if you can print out new recipes and sit them next to your produce for the taking with a purchase, that it's a very good selling point.

Next year, we want to aim for Farmers' Market again, but I have no idea how on earth we can store produce all week.

My fridge is ALWAYS full as it is, plus things start to look sort of unappetizing after a week in there. How do you do it?

~Faith

Carol............. said...

whoooa..you are one busy gal! Love the picture on the sidebar of the draft....

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

WOWie! 11 comments, now that's exciting!

I'll make this quick because I'm still canning basil beans and have one more batch waiting to go into the waterbath canner. Cortney has been such a good helper.


SFG,
That's what I thought about the cooking beans question. I really feel a LOT of people are going to get a wake up call shortly, sad but true.

Kathryn,
Okay what is "CGI", you've peeked my curiosity.

Tonya,
I feel good about the market and because we're new market"eers"*wink* and the market is fairly new it's fun to watch it grow and to meet so many neat people.
Yes, busy with the party, but it will be such fun, for all of us.

Debbie,
Your comments always make me smile! The positive note is that skeeter bites don't typically bother me, and yes I sleep good as long as I take my all natural Melatonin, otherwise I wake up several times a night and have a restless sleep.

Old gray egg,
Thanks for the hint and firsthand knowledge. I think I'll hand them out to anyone, provided it doesn't get out of hand.
The only kind of fishing close to us is for trout and we won't eat them. Sorry, Mike and my Dad spoiled us on Walleye and Northern Pike. I think I'll suggest a hike or maybe just a good old fashioned picnic for our next, "get away" Thanks for stopping in and for your advise. :o)

TCF,
We had a killing frost last summer, thankfully we were way... behind in getting the garden planted and didn't loose much. Because it was so late in getting in, we placed the hoophouse/ tunnel over the maters right away and we had ripe fruit by late July. We should have done it right away this year,live and learn*sigh*

Sadge,
Thanks for the hint, next season I'll remember this and do some up. One thing people here are slower to catch onto trends that are popular elsewhere. I think if it were done with jute or maybe mix in some wheat it would sell. Ideas are so nice, thank you. :o)

Faith,
We don't store stuff longer than that day, it's all picked fresh on Friday. What is harvested during the week we use for us, or share with neighbors. Actually a lot of produce will keep better if not refrigerated, onions, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes( if less than 3-4 days and you have a cool place free of sunlight), cukes,apples and squash. Carrots, beans,sweetcorn, melons, cabbage, and berries keep better in the frig.( again for 3-4 days only) Once items are refrigerated they will spoil quicker if not kept this way. Hope this helps*wink*

Carol,
Thanks for following our blog! That draft is Mo, our Fjord gelding. He's 7 yrs old now, wow! we bought him whe he was 2-1/2 yrs, it doesn't seem that long ago. We love him and actually love this breed, they are amazing! Thanks for commenting, hope to hear from ya again.

Okay got to run a batch just finished and I need to get those 7 pints out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...