Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pictures of the Living History Farmstead ....

If you click on the picture, you'll be able to read a bit of the history of
the farmstead. The smaller cabin is the picture below this and it is now
used as a blacksmith shop.

This is the small cabin that the family of 10( Dad, Mom and eight

children) lived in for 17 yrs.

The layout is like this; to the right of the front door is the dining parlor;

to the left is the living room and straight back is the kitchen. The

staircase to upstairs is to the left of the kitchen, just inside the front

door. The upstairs has four bedrooms and a larger room( over the

kitchen) and was set up as a sewing/ spinning, weaving and quilting

room. There is a covered porch off the kitchen and the well with

pitcher pump is just 5-8 ft away from the porch area. There is a root

cellar, two seat outhouse, blacksmith shop, barn, garden shed with

cold frames on the south side.

The gardens( flower and produce) are absolutely beautiful! They

contain only heritage plants and it was so very exciting to see all the

flowers growing, that I didn't know even grew in MT.

If you click the picture, you can see the back porch and the roof top of

outside entry to the root cellar( far left, just past the pine tree) The

window to the left is the kitchen area, it is actually quit large for a

home of this time period.

A picture of a sample of the flowerbeds and one of the four vegetable

gardens.( click the picture to see larger version) If this farmstead

was closer to our local I'd be on the volunteer list, for sure!*wink*

I couldn't go inside without paying for admission again, so no inside

pictures, sorry. :o(


6 comments:

small farm girl said...

Wow, that house is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. But, I guess you need a big one with 8 kids. Although my dad lived in a small house and there was 12 kids in his family. lol Just like you said, the flowers are pretty.

Anonymous said...

I could easily live there. That would be a slice of heaven for me personally. Okay so i'd have to have internet but aside from that, i could do this....

Faith said...

What fun! I love those places. Just pulls me back in time, to such simplicity.

I'd have probably not paid to get in either. I just went and searched out images to try to find interior shots, but didn't find any.

~Faith

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I can't wait to get my pics up of the Grand Encampment Museum. I LOVE things like this & love the pics & history you've posted today!

granny said...

I love the photos! What a beautiful place.I enlarged them all to get a close up look :0) I really want to peek inside !

DianeLynn said...

Loved the pics & the info. Love places like that...but my heart belongs in a YURT on a piece of land & off grid. MMMM maybe someday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...