Friday, October 9, 2009

Cortney's cup of hot cocoa this morning.( the list to the left is her church youth groups fundraiser sheet, they sold frozen braided sweet bread)
The snow we received a few days ago melted, but this morning we woke to more and it's still snowing.
Beyond the BBQ, in the garden are our carrots and potatoes, still in the ground. It's fore casted to be cold tonight and then a warm front is headed our way. Praying it helps to dry our soil enough to get our spuds and carrots out of the ground and into the cellar.
Cortney loves the snow, without dog prints through it, so quick snapped this before they'd had the chance to race all over it.( this is our front yard)
The stock pot is half full( cooked down tomato sauce, from a full pan) of now enchilada sauce. The side it's setting on is the simmering spot, to the left directly over the firebox closest to the back splash is the hottest spot. When you have a wood cookstove you learn quickly all the temp. zones*wink*

After using some of the sauce for our enchiladas the other night, we still ended up with 10 pints of sauce canned. The mill is a Victorio mill and I've had it for over 13 yrs.( ordered in 1996) It was a big purchase back then, and my original sales receipt from Lehman's total was $77.85( that included the extra cost of a salsa screen). It was worth every penny! If you've never had the opportunity to use one it's well worth the $55+ s/h today. The berry screen takes out even 90% of the strawberry seeds. It is one of our favorite kitchen tools, manual, but makes life so much easier. The design has changed and it is no longer called the Victorio, but it still works the same. Some tools are an expensive investment, but in our experience they are worth it.

Today Cortney has already sorted through the tomatoes for the ripe and ready ones. We'll be running these through the mill, cooking down the sauce and making Chili Sauce for you guessed it a pot of chili as well as canned pint jars for later use.

Chili Sauce from Stocking Up

4 qt tomato sauce( if you like your sauce chunky add chopped peeled and chopped tomatoes)

2c. chopped sweet red pepper

2c. chopped onion

2 cloves garlic; minced

2 dried hot chili peppers finely chopped( we substitute 1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder)

1 tsp. ground ginger

1 tsp. ground nutmeg

2 Tbsp. celery seeds

1 Tbsp. mustard seeds

1 whole bay leaf

2 sticks cinnamon( 3" long)

1 tsp. whole cloves

1/2 c, honey

3c. cider vinegar

combine tomato sauce, sweet peppers, onions, garlic, hot peppers, ginger and nutmeg in a large stainless steel stock pot

Tie; celery seed, mustard seed, bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon in a cheese cloth bag, add to tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, uncovered until volume is reduced to half.(2-3 hours) Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove spice bag, add honey and vinegar, return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes

Can or freeze. Pour hot into sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Seal and process 35 minutes in a boiling water bath.

This is so handy to have, along with canned beans, all you need to do is fry some burger, add ingredients together and heat thoroughly, serve up with a fresh pan of homemade cornbread or corn muffins.

Cortney is signed up for a beading class(wire wrapping an pendant) in the city for tonight( 6-8:30 pm), but.... we'll have to see what the roads are like( BIG chicken here*gulp*) and we've been listening to the emergency radio all morning and there have been several wrecks in our area, so roads are most likely slick. The sun is coming out, so we'll watch and see if they dry off, it's stopped snowing as of now. If they are dry I'll chance it, but if wet, forget it because they'll surely freeze by nightfall and be black ice.

Well.... I'd better get to work on the next batch of sauce,Cortney's run it through the mill and has it simmering on the wood stove, the stove is just the right temp to simmer it down.

May your day be blessed and pray for good roads for us, will ya?




8 comments:

Faith said...

Yup, well, that's answers my last question. LOL

You look cozy and ready for winter. :o)

~Faith

Millie said...

We woke to snow too! I have to admit being new to Wyoming (from Oregon) I'm not used to snow in early October (actually, we rarely received snow where we lived before). I think the snow is beautiful. The downside, I've had to go give the chickens fresh water a few times already because it keeps freezing. Prayers for you!

Sunny said...

Hot chocolate sounds perfect, I think I'll make a mug.
Your snow pictures are chilly reminders of what is yet to come our way.
Drive safely.
Sunny :)

Beth said...

Hi Kelle.

I am generally a lurker but saw on weather.com that "arctic cold has descended on Montana" so I thought I'd stop by and check on you. I'm glad that you girls have something to do to keep you occupied during the cold and snow. Your sauces sure sound good. We had a horrible year for gardening here in western NC so I didn't get to can anything at all. Late frosts and a very wet spring just ruined all chances of gardening.

I hope it does clear up so Courtney can make it to her beading class. That sounds like fun.

Have a great weekend.

Andora said...

your are one busy girl..no idle hands there..I have been looking for some gadget to get the seeds out of blackberries,raspberries and such,could you tell me where i could get one or if what you are using is the same thing that I am looking for...thanks,I really would appreciate any help..
and the snow looks wonderful..I may not think that in a few months here..lol...

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Faith,
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought I'd answered your question about cooking on the stove, maybe not, if so, I'm sorry. It is cozy and I'm praying we're ready for whatever winter brings our way.

Millie,
We haul water for all of our animals all winter( horse and cows too!) The best thing we've found are those rubber feed tubs, when they freeze you can whack them or the larger ones turn upside down and jump on to get the ice out. Yes, the snow is pretty and I am content to be inside, after the Spring and Summer outdoors. Now mark my word, after Christmas I'll be chomping to get outside working in the yard again. Silly I know*wink* Enjoy your winter and keep in touch.



Sunny,
I'm partial to hot herbal teas myself, choc. gives me heartburn. Just ask Mike, we have several dozen kinds*wink* He thinks we have enough kinds already and Cortney and I ALWAYS manage to find a new one we've not tried,LOL!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Beth,
Hey, thanks for stopping in and chatting! Yep it's been cold here for the past few days, unseasonably cold too!
Sorry to hear of all your garden struggles, we had a similar year, two seasons ago. In fact I was sick and I was ready to quit gardening altogether. My family of course didn't believe me*wink*, because they know it's in my blood, LOL!
If we'd been closer we'd have certainly shared our bountiful harvest with you. Don't fret, next season is bound to be better, that's my glass half full comment for the day*wink*
The roads didn't improve, in fact it snowed a bunch more, so we cancelled, but the lady was so nice, she said" Don't even think of driving on those roads, tell you what the next time you gals are coming to town for the day, call ahead and we'll set up a time and get that class done!" Now isn't that a blessing, here we were worried they'd not refund the prepaid class money or carry it over and she is willing to give a private class, just to Cortney. It made our day!

Andora,
Go to www.lehmans.com it should be listed under their kitchen gadgets. My current cataloge has them priced at $54.95 and that includesstandard screen and auger and owners manual. For an additional charge of $39.95 you can get the 4 piece set of screens
and a larger auger for large seeded fruits( grape auger, berry screen, pumpkin screen and salsa screen)Ours clamps to the edge of a counter, but this one is a suction cup design. I've also seen these in local hardware stores( Ace Hardware, True Value, etc...)

Hope this helps you, I know if you get one you'll love it, especially if you've been doing it by hand.
I remember the first time I did choke berries through it, I didn't have to steam them first or anything, just washed them and put them in the hopper, cranked the handle and out came the juice and some pulp into the bowl and the seeds and skins onto the plate. No more purple hands for a week, YEAH!

Blessing to each of you this weekend.

Andora said...

Thank you Kelle!!!!

Faith said...

Kelle,

LOL No "I'm sorries" needed.(((hugs))) You may very well have and I might have missed it while looking.

I know my email notifications seem to miss things, or combine them and I miss them that way.

I'm amazed at your early snow. I am sure not ready for snow, and I don't need to worry about any significant wintry weather for a while. You have to put all your summer work on FF at this rate!

~Faith

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...