Friday, May 21, 2010

You just never know and neither does the news.....

This is a picture from last summer. It's of an old homestead at the Museum of the Rockies, in Bozeman and whenever I get the chance I love to stop and tour their gardens.
    

We don't watch TV on a regular basis, but do watch the weather report from time to time, when trying to plan out our week.  We watched the fore cast on Monday evening and they told of an impending rain storm heading toward us due to arrive Wens. evening and rain off and on throughout the week into next week with a possible 1" or more in precip. So.... we run around here like mad women getting stuff planted, cleaning up flowerbeds, etc.... Still no sign of rain, so now it's a debate as to whether or not we should water the garden seeds we've planted or play the wait and see game.

     Yesterday we had to drive about 40 miles to the county seat and pay our property taxes and get Cortney registered to vote. It was windy and sort of cloudy and gloomy, but when we arrived home the sun was shining and the grass was again in need of a mowing, so rather than put it off and thinking about the impending rain heading our way, Cortney and I decided to mow again and I even weed whacked until Mike got home and we needed to get supper prepared. 

     This morning we woke to the birds singing and sunshine and clear blue skies. I still have the orchard to weed whack and a few other things to plant( flower seeds) so will work on it this morning but our plans were to clean house, bake bread and work on some organizing in the house because it was supposed to be gloomy outside. Well, after a winter of being indoors( me being an outside lover) I just can make myself stay indoors when the sun is shining*wink*. So...... I will get bread going, as we need it, but the plan is to work out in the hoop house and finish building the raised beds so we can plant our tomato, pepper and okra seedlings.  We also have herbs that need to be planted and rhubarb to pick and make something yummy with it :o)

        

     Enjoy your day and blessings for your weekend!

8 comments:

Mama Mess said...

That homestead museum looks fabulous! We are planning a trip to Montana in the next few years, that looks like a great place to visit if we do go! I love the pic of your flowers as well. We've been enduring rain rain and more rain. Not sure if my garden is going to withstand all the moisture! We all have something to deal with don't we? :)

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Oh you'd love it! If we weren't 2-1/2 hours away I'd volunteer to work there. Living history in action. The ladies inside cook the lunch everyday for all the volunteers, they have a team of horses in which the use to work the gardens, wheat, barley and hay fields( all heritage crops) There is a blacksmith, who makes items as well as tells the story of how the smithy shop was the orignal house of the family who built the larger home. I could stay all day, there is that much history to listen to as well as to simply enjoy the gardens, rootcellar, barn, coop, coldframes etc....

If you make it to MT. I hope to hear from you, we'd love to have you for a visit, even for dinner :o)
Praying you dry out this weekend, ours still has yet to arrive and now I think I'm going to have to water some items, just in case it doesn't rain.
Blessings,
Kelle

Barbara said...

The looks like such a fun place, I do love the Rockies too, have you been to Estees Park, oh I loved the place, hugs Barbara

Anonymous said...

I remember this!! I remember the house and the series of photos you had - It is a great place! Good to see it all again....debbie

Faith said...

I remember your post about the place. :O)

You've got rhubarb already? Pies! Yum!

I love waking to hear songbirds. I will sleep with my windows open, even if it's pretty cold outside, just to hear the outdoor sounds. That is if the neighbors dogs are not yapping their fool heads off. LOL

~Faith

small farm girl said...

Kelle, we have a place like that down here. It's called Fort Boonesburl.(sp) It is an actuall fort. Blacksmith, weaving house, it has it all. Very interesting! One of my favorite things about it is, it has a library that you can go and buy books from. I bought one called The Kentucky Housewife. It has so many old recipes in it. Not just for eating, but for dying and things like that. One of my treasures.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Barb,
No I haven't been to Estees Park, but have added it to my list :o)

Debbie,
You have an excellent memory, yes I did post pictures and a bit about this homestead last summer when we went to pick Cortney up from her young adults retreat. It is a neat place and most everyone who visits it is really interested in that they learn, only a few walk through quick, most stick around for several hours :o)

Faith,
You and Debbie have good memories, I just added the picture because the post was rather dull and I like to see it also( inspires me*wink*)
Yes we ended up with 6 pints of rhubarb sauce( made with honey, I'll share the recipe in a post next week) and froze 8 c., plus have enough cut and in the frig. for making Rhubarb crisp for dessert tonight( Mike's picking up the Breyers vanilla bean icecream :o) )
We typically sleep with the window open( even a little) from early Spring until early winter, love the fresh air and it makes my dayto wake to the bird singing their praises.

SFG,
You lucky lady! I love old cookbooks, and that one sound wonderful. Some I have don't give measurements in cups but rather say a teacup full,or a well rounded pinch of something*wink* I love it because that is how I cook too. People ask for recipes and I have to go back and measure stuff in order to share it with them. One person asked for my sausage recipes and I said I don't measure I simply add herbs and spices until it smells right, then I cook up a small patty to taste it. He looked at me like I was nuts or something*wink*

I'm planting several herbs this year just for the purpose of dyes, Jacobs Coat Amaranth, Bedstraw and a few others that I don't recall the names right off the top of my head, because they are new to me. I think it would be fun to dye a natural muslin( some come heavier) for quilt backs or even homemade napkins, a apron, etc.... Thinking up craft ideas for next winter, my brain rarely shuts down( that's why I don't sleep good, LOL) That books sounds like a real keepsake. I have one a dear friend sent to me, it's not that old but it's funny and has good southern history and remedies in it. It's called;" White Trash Cooking", LOL! It has some really good recipes too!

Darlene said...

I am in Montana too, and have been once to this place, I LOVED it! I didn't want to leave! I am enjoying reading your blog. This is my first time here so I have lots of catching up to do :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...