Monday, December 7, 2009

Noodle making tutorial

Reminder, you can click on the photos to see full size version.

I remember how long I saved for this wonderful kitchen tool! Now as you'll see below it only cost $39.99, but that was a closeout price, if memory serves me regular price was $79.99. Back in 1994 that was a considerable purchase for the kitchen.
Yes, I keep receipts, it's fun to look back to see when you bought something and how much you paid for it.
It has attachments, such as this one that came with the machine. It makes egg noodles( on the left side) and spaghetti noodles( on the right). I also have an angel hair cutter, as lasagna noodle cutter, a ravioli attachment and all of these were purchased at a garage sale several years later, for $20 total. The ravioli maker is messy to use, so I make them by hand, but use the roller to roll the noodle dough thin enough.
This knob is on the roller unit and it is numbered from 1-7. This controls the thickness of the dough.

Here is what came in the box. This machine is NEVER to be washed, only wiped down with a damp cloth and dried right away. If pasta dough should get stuck in the cutter, let it dry and then brush out.
Now to share our noodle dough recipe;
Basic Pasta Dough

2-1/4 to 2-1/2 c. flour( we use half unbleached and half
whole wheat)
1/3c. water or broth
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1Tbsp. olive oil
1tsp. salt
Combine in given order, mix for 2 minutes.
with a wooden spoon mix in enough flour to make a soft
dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading
about 10 minutes. Cover and let it for rest for 30 minutes.

Roll to desired thickness and cut( this is where you use
the pasta machine.)
Here is what it looks like after resting.
Pull off a ball, double the size of a golf ball and flatten
set your thickness dial on #1 and roll through. If dough is sticky, dust with flour and run through roller on setting #1.
Fold the ends toward the center and roll through again on setting #1( see
picture below)


This is what it looks like now. If sticky, rub with small amount of flour and.....
......fold the ends to the center again( opposite how it was folded the first time). Roll through on #1 setting, then move setting to #2, roll through and continue through to the #4 setting.
Dust with flour and rub in( see below), both sides of dough.
Now the dough is ready to run through the cutter, just move the handle.....
.... to the cutter position. Now gently feed the end into cutter as you crank the handle.
WOW! noodles, homemade from scratch! Gently guide the cut noodles with your free hand, so they stay nice, not in a heap.
Lay the noodles out, now decide the length noodle desired and cut with scissors. You will have to pull apart the noodles as you add them to your boiling soup, stirring occasionally to keep noodles from sticking together.
In approx. 1 hour from start to finish you can have homemade noodles. This happens to be Turkey Noodle Soup, from leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Mmmmm, Mmmmm.

You can also substitute in spinach puree, tomato puree, etc....(be creative!) for the 1/3c. water or broth. You may also freeze these noodles, just lay out, or hang( backs of kitchen chairs work well) and let dry, about 50% then bag and freeze. You may also dry completely and store in glass jars in a cool dry place.
You also don't have to have a pasta machine, simply roll dough out by hand to desired thickness, dust and rub well with flour, fold in half and cut into desied widths with a sharp knife( I did it this way for years before the machine)

For raviolis, roll to desired thickness, cut( I use a shot glass), place 1-2 tsp filling( meat of cheese) add another round dough piece on top of filling and seal with a fork around the edges. These freeze well. Enjoy!


9 comments:

small farm girl said...

Thanks Kelle! I have always wanted to know how to make noodles! Now I know. I'll have to keep this recipe and try them. Good to know you don't need the machine to make them. I don't have the money right now to go get one. heheheh. Maybe later.

Until later,
sfg

granny said...

I love making Pasta too,once you make your own you wont go back to store bought again :0)
Ive enjoyed your lovely snow photo's...very hot here at the moment !

Judy said...

Some friends of ours invited us over for dinner the other night and they serves homemade ravioli...My husband and I loved them. Now we want to get a ravioli maker. Yours looks like a really nice one. I'll have to investigate this one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a neat post! I absolutely love home made noodles. My girlfriend's mom in high school made the best chicken and homemade noodles. I can smell them cookin'!!You make is look so easy & Your noodle maker looks brand new!! Enjoy your noodles, they sure look good!! Merry Christmas!...debbie

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

Oooooh, bookmarking this post! This is something I've been looking into. Do you dry your noodles at any time? I don't have a pasta machine unfortunately... maybe someday. Your recipe looks good, that's the main thing I've been looking for! Thank you!
The Girl in the Pink Dress
PS Those noodles look lovely in that soup. Maybe you could post the soup recipe?

Lynn Bartlett said...

We like making noodles too, and I am glad my sons made drying racks for me because we eat tons of them! Some day we need to take an entire afternoon and make a bunch.

Thanks also for the unwelcome news on my blog ... I went to Minot with a friend yesterday, and we just about froze going in and out of thrift stores. This morning the temperature was -20F about 40 miles from here, and we probably were even colder. Our cow is due to calf any day, and I hope she holds off until it moderates a bit. I'll let you know when your weather hits here. Sounds worse than we are having! At least so far today there's no wind.

Thought I would give you a report since I didn't know if you check back for comments after you write.

Stay warm! I'm thankful for one heater in the water so we aren't having to carry buckets of water down more than once a day to the barn from the house to make sure the animals have something to drink.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks everyone for your comment, I'm tired and heading to bed.

Girl in the pink dress,
I wll post my recipe for turkey soup, but I don't have measurements, I just throw in a little of this and a little of that. I will approximate and post it for you, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Blessings,
Kelle

Anonymous said...

Oh the noodles looked soooo good! :-)

Linda said...

Kelle, your recipes are wonderful! I'm going to be doing some of my Christmas goodies from your blog, for sure. Noodles on Sunday. Yummy. I have a maker - a gift from Zack - but have never used it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...