Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Brrrrr... it's cold outside, but not in the kitchen. Guess what we're doing?

If you said baking, you're correct! Our weather has been frigid for several days and looks to stay a few more so........ Cortney and I are making the best of it. Killing two birds with one stone, heating the house and baking an assortment of Christmas goodies.

This morning we got a load of laundry washed and hung on the drying racks in front of the stove, then got the load of whites washing. While waiting between wash and rinse water, I added the hot water to the pigs feed bucket, making them a nice warm mash. Then draining the whites wash water( remember we have a wringer washer, so it's done manually) and adding the rinse water and starting agitating again. We don on our winter gear; scarf, hat, gloves, heavy chore coats, insulated muck boots. Filling a 5 gallon bucket, with warm water for the pigs and their mash, we head out into the sub zero temps( windchill of -12 to -15 F) With the pigs fed and water troughs broke open, I send Cortney inside to warm up and wring out the whites. I then get the wheelbarrow and collected enough firewood for today, filling the wood box and then some. Now inside, and thawed out a bit we finish the Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints we baked last night. We had to melt the caramel and add 1/2 tsp. to each cookie, in the thumbprint( see photos below)

Closer view, hungry now aren't you*wink* The are very rich and a new recipe for us. This recipe is definitely going to be added to our collection. I'll share it here;
Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
1/2 c. softened butter
2/3c. sugar
1 egg separated
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1c. unbleached flour
1/3c. baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1c. finely chopped pecans( we added1/2 c, pecans and 1/2 c.
walnuts)
FILLING
12 to 14 caramels
3Tbsp. heavy cream

In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and salt, add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until easily handled. Roll into 1" balls, beat egg white. Dip balls into egg white and then roll in nuts. Place 2" apart on the baking sheet. Use the handle of a wooden spoon and make an indentation( 3/8 to 1/2" deep) in the center of each ball. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack, completely.

Meanwhile melt caramels with cream in a double boiler( or for those who use microwaves, a heavy bowl) Using 1/2 tsp, fill each cookie. Chill. Okay we drizzled white Choc. chips( 15-20 chips and 1tsp. lard) to give them a fancy look( see photo below)

Then Cortney decided she'd better get the doggie treats made, because we have a few we need to mail to her friend in CA, for her dog, along with a few goodies for her friend as well. *wink*

Here is our secret dog cookie recipe:
Molasses Peanut Butter Dog Treats
2Tbsp. oil ( we use Olive oil)
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/2c. water
1/2c. molasses
2c. whole wheat flour
1c. unbleached flour
2Tbsp. kelp granules
2 tsp garlic powder( or 1 tsp. finely minced garlic)
Mix in given order. Knead on a lightly floured surface until firm. Roll
to 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutters. You may also roll into 1"
or smaller for small dogs. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until firm.
Makes approx. 2-1/2 dozen treats( depending on size of cookie
cutters) Photos below.


Best thing is, this is a healthy nutritious treat for our dogs, ours

absolutely LOVE them!

Well I need to rotate the drying racks and get some Fancy Ribbon

Fudge made. Enjoy your day :o)


16 comments:

Kevin and Beth said...

How nice it is for you to have a noodle machine! I so want one for my kitchenaid mixer but they are like $100. or even more.

Your cookies look wonderful. I think we are making some this weekend. I'll have to remember to take pictures. I want to make clothespin cookies. I remember that they are my most favorite ever.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's nice to know when someone reads. I read yours all the time but I'm just a lazy commenter.
Beth

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

I started baking today for Christmas!! I got a late start & can't find my recipe for my favouritest cookies. I also need to run to the store later so I can bake more tomorrow. So far I've done white chocolate cranberry cookies, swirl chip cookie bars, and I'm about to do high altitude brownies. Tomorrow are Alton Brown's pinwheel sugar cookies & IF I can find my recipe- brown sugar cutouts.

Your baked goods look great!

Judy said...

Yum!!!! Where do you find your Kelp granules?

small farm girl said...

Kelle, I keep trying to lose weight, but your blog doesn't help. lol. The thumbprints look wonderful. Guess I'll have to try them to. Shucks

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Kevin and Beth,
The machine is a blessing and if taken care of, will last for generations.

What are clothpin cookies? Can you share the recipe on your blog, please.....

I'm bad about commenting, it's usually because I'm tired and I'm still multi tasking. We have dial up internet and it takes forever for pictures on blogs to download, so I just multi task and check in between tasks. This doesn't leave much time to comment*sigh* I agree it is nice to get feedback.

Thanks for commenting, come back again when you have time.

Michaela,
You are sharing those recipes on your blog, right? We love to try new recipes, so Please.... won't you share*wink*

How's your weather?
Blessing and productivity in your baking.

Judy,
I've bought kelp at health food stores, but the last time I bought them in 50# bags through Azure Standard. They are a wholesale cataloge and they deliver once a month. They are located in Oregon. We mix the kelp in all of our animals feed, once or twice a week, it's good source for trace minerals and a good healthy suppliment. The chickens eat it freely from a dish in the coop, the other animals get it mixed in their grain, food or loose on top of their hay. I will tell you that it isn't cheap, and I just found out that the 50# bags increased in price( since the last time we purchased) by $20+ per 50#*gulp*

SFG,
I understand, but I do have a disclaimer in effect*wink* It's hard not to sample, but I am doing really good and haven't eaten more than one of each item we've made so far. Since we've cut back to two meals and also decreased our portion sizes, I'm NOT hungry between meals now. I gained my weight slowly and I'm taking it off the same way, praying to keep it off!

Blessings to you all,
Kelle

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

Hi Kelle,
Those thumbprint cookies look really yummmmy. Thanks for the recipe, I think I going to bake some this weekend. Your blog background is very pretty. Seasons greetings from Sunny Australia
Rina

Kat said...

My you guys are busy! You reminded me what it is like to get out and have to take care of animals even in the subfreezing weather! brrrr.
Wringer washer? It hs been a since I was a little girl that I used one of those. Seems like a lot of water and work. haha.
I admire your self-sufficient ways.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Welcome Rina,
Glad you stopped in to comment. The thumbprint cookies are very good and addictive too, thus I'm steering clear of them, but Cortney sure likes them.
I liked this background because it is simple, yet pretty, thanks for saying so.
Merry Christmas right back at you and I don't want to hear how nice your weather is*wink*
Thanks for stopping by, come back again.

The Girl in the Pink Dress said...

Mmmm. Those look delicious! I'm going to put them on my Christmas baking list. Chocolate and caramel are two of my favorite things. Thank you for the recipe!
The Girl in the Pink Dress

Cheryl said...

Good day for baking, your cookies look sooooo good. Snowed in here have Christmas music on and baking cookies.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Kat,
Thanks for stopping in! When doing laundry, we use the rinse water, for the next loads wash water, so actually we use less water than in a modern washer. Now having said this towels are last to get done, due to lint and if the rinse water is really dirty still, we drain and add fresh for the new load, but that is NOT the norm. Yes, it is more labor intensive, but the clothes are ten times cleaner than the modern washers get them and hanging them out you simply can't replicate that smell. I wouldn't trade my wringer washer for 10 new washers. My Maytag wringer is 65 yrs old and still runs like a top. We had purchased a new washer dryer set when we moved here, the washer lasted just over two years, then the transmission and water pump failed. Of course it was out of warranty*sigh*

Thanks for your visit and comments. We enjoy your blog! Blessings,
Kelle

Girl in pink,
You are welcome and Uh Hum, I do have that disclaimer, so any inches I will take no blame for*wink*

Cheryl,
Welcome and thanks for chatting. I love your blog and we're followers now!
It looks like your state did get hit hard and the cold is coming too. Stay warm and have fun baking and singing Christmas music. We're doing the same here, in between trips outside to break waters open, haul water and feed the animals. It's such a blessing to come into a warm house, filled with such great smells!
Come back again, we'd enjoy that.
Blessings,
Kelle

Anne Marie said...

yum! totally going to try those...

Graythunder said...

Hi Homesteader. This is dl from PL. I enjoyed looking at your site. I love that 1910 farm house picture. The cooking pictures are making me hungry. Later.
Don

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Anne Marie,
You won't be disappointed. Thanks for stoppig in.

Graythunder,
Hey dl, glad you stopped in for a comment.

We love our 1910 farmhouse. It's a diamond in the rough right now.

It's tempting isn't it, I've been really good only eating one of each. Trying to keep the weight loss going in the right direction.

Blessings,
Kelle

Holly said...

Wow-those caramel thumbprint cookies looks absolutely delicious!! Thanks for the recipe & thanks for your comment at my blog. Your blog is looking so festive-I love it! Holly

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Mmmm...I LOVE pretty much anything with caramel! I have made doggie cookies before and our golden doofus Beau just gobbles them up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...