Friday, May 20, 2011

Growing webbed toes....

Good day, well if you can call 8 days of off and on rainfall good. We are alive and well, after a course of 24 hour flu ran through Cortney and I last weekend and into early this week. Let me tell you I haven't been sick in 4 yrs and this flu bug was a doozy!  I was totally down and out for two days and it took another three days after that to even feel back to 100%  Mike was working out of town when it hit and Cortney did a great job, until she came down with it too, but thankfully by then I was recovering well .  That is one thing about having animals, they still need to be fed,milked and barns cleaned, it doesn't matter that you feel like death warmed over.

Not much progression in the garden, everything it setting in water and I'm praying it doesn't all rot. This rain, called a "Toad Strangler" by the local weather man, is supposed to last through Sunday.  I've lost count but in the time it's been raining we've received approx. 6-7 inches of rain and today is fore casted to net us another possible 3-4" !   The river is rising, but still not even close to flood stage and it's my prayer it stays that way too. Some creeks and streams in the area have been flooding and causing issues with roads but not anywhere close to our local.

Remember our goat girls, well the lady who we adopted them from hated horns and chopped back Gingers, but not enough to bleed, and then banded both of the girls horns. Yesterday one of Angels bands cut the horn and it was dangling, a bloody mess. We treated Angel with Yarrow( right on the horn sight) to stop the bleeding as well as Arnica Montana for pain. I then called the vet and we set up for her to visit at 9 am this morning, to remove the horn. After looking at both horns we also decided that the other  horn wasn't  going to  be on long either, so she sedated Angel, injected some pain killer at the base of the horns and proceeded to remove them both. I expected a bloody mess but the bands had done their work and really there was only a few drips of blood to wipe off her face.  It took almost an hour for the sedation to wear off and Angel is up on her feet, eating and drinking again. We'll keep a close eye on her today, but the vet says she's well on her way to healing nicely.

 All of our wet weather has hampered our yard and garden work, so not much to take photos of.

We did have our first CSA basket pick up yesterday. Thank the Lord for our greenhouse and all that is growing and producing for us.  It's our prayer that we see a couple good weeks of sunshine filled days and then everything planted should just POP!  I also have much more to plant, including our plants. The tomatoes are now 12-14" tall and the peppers and eggplant are getting root bound in their 6" pots. 
I need to plant some of the herbs as well, they are absolutely beautiful and smell so wonderful. 

I think later this afternoon we'll run into town( 26 miles north of us) and buy some feed for the poultry and stop in the local nursery and look at a few flowers for our planters. I'm also looking for Summer Savory and a few new herbs for our herb beds.

Speaking of poultry, we do have two turkey hens, who've hatched a dozen poults. We're trying to disturb them as little as possible, so they don't get chilled and end up sick and dying( the babies that is) 

We also have sent the lambs home and soon the two kid goats will be weaned and gone as well. Maybe this is a sign that our wet, cold, grey Montana Spring is coming to a close, BRING ON THE SUNSHINE AND HEAT!!!!! LOL!!!!  For heavens sake it's mid May and we're still burning a small fire in the stove each evenings to chase away the dampness. *sigh*  Makes it difficult to stockpile wood when you're still burning it.

It's been awhile and had some free time, so thought we'd check in and update our blog. Sorry the posts are far and few between but that life right now, I'm hoping to settle into a routine of posting, at least once a week.  Thanks for hanging in there with us, as I always say "Life is NEVER Dull on The Never Done Farm!   Blessings to each of you and your weekend :o)

18 comments:

Emily Fay said...

We've had rain and more rain here too! Glad to hear you are all ok! :) I sent off a letter to you today! :)

Rivenfae said...

WOW guess the ugly rain is hitting all over, I think I am going to have to replant my smaller melons and cukes once the rains here stop.

Don't feel bad about the temps either we had almost freezing temps in the last week and we're in Missouri! I'm not looking forward to middle of summer , but I defiantly can't wait for the 40's to be gone for good.

Zombie said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! :D

Nita said...

Now that I am able to get back into your blogg I will visit more.
That flu is going around so much.d rest and fluids are about the only thing to help. Our ER is full with that.
I've only a few plants to plant and then mow grass. Was told not to until cleared by the doctor. Injured back and planning on surgery sometime soon....not looking foreward to that. Missy wants to come home to help out. Will be having lots of family coming to ND the end of June. Will let you know as Cortney would love to come back with the cousins.
Love and hugs to all. Nita

Jamie said...

Hi there Kelle,it sounds like you all have been busy and then at a halt!!!The pictures of the lambs are soooooo cute.You can't resist that soft cute little baby.I hope that you all recover soon and no more illnesses.
Blessings~

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Although you have had lots of rain, some are losing land and homes, So we are still being specially blessed. When you start to plant you will be so busy and truly seem to "never get done" :o) hang in there. :o) the Harvest is coming..

Lamb said...

Rain, rain, rain---everywhere EXCEPT HERE!!! 106 days without rain here. I'll trade you several dump truck loads of dry-as-a-bone sand for a few of your muck and mud!

MarkD60 said...

No rain here. It rains in town, but not here in West Bay, 6 miles north. We haven't had any good rain in months.

I was worried about you, so long in between posts!

I guess you wished you had planted rice! It grows in water. Hope your crops are ok after the "toad strangler". And sorry about Anger who lost her horns. I do home she's OK!

Kat said...

Please quit hogging all the rain?!!! We were having good weekly rain showers and now...nothing! This weather sure is crazy isn't it. We had temps down in the 40s at night and 60s in the day for a week. That is unheard of in the deep south in mid May. Normally we are in the 80s and 90s. Well, the cool weather didn't last long and today is back in the 90s, but no rain in sight. Guess I had better get the garden watered. Blessings, Kat

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you!! Have missed your posts. We finally have a reprieve from the rain. We had no sun and rain for 18 days straight. Today is to be our second day of sun and 82 degrees. I'm going to Lowe's to get some flowers and a rose bush. Sorry to hear about Angel. Glad you and Courtney are better. Take Care, and I'll thing sun for you!...debbie

Mel said...

I share in your misery, the rain just doesn't want to go away. It's a muddy mess here.

Bob from Athens said...

Hey go find a native american and get them to do a "divert the rain south" dance. Why is it that watering my garden every other day will barely keep it alive and a good 2 inches on rain once a week makes it look so good. By the way my soil is "sugar sand", back in the good ole days when we actually got a lot of rain, it could dump 4 or 5 inches over night and the next morning no puddles in sight.

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Emily,
The rain is much needed but( here's where I sound like a farmer*wink*) if it would just rain a few days and sunshine a few then rain again and sunshine, not 8-10 days in a row of nothing but rain and what we fear( all the farmers here do) is that June, Julyy and Aug will be scorching hot with no precip.
I hope the letter arrives today, it will give me an excuse to sit down and write you back. :o)

Rivenfae,
While it's been rainy and cooler, it hasn't frosted and for that I'm so thankful as our apple trees, cherry bush and plums are all in bloom right now and we ccertainly hope for large crops from all. Rain and no sunshine is no fun, I need sunshine,otherwise I get crabby, LOL!!!

Zombie,
Thanks, I still feel dizzy and light headed from time to time, I think it's fliud in my ear though. I was one sick lady, and I just as soon NOT ever be that ill again. :o)

Nita,
All I did was sleep and drink room temp water and some 7-up Mike bought for us. It was two days before I even attempted to eat a soda cracker and broth. Cortney was the same. Glad to be over it, it was horrible!
Be sure to let us know about your back surgery, sometimes we feel like we live on the moon, finding out about family surgeries and illnesses after the fact.
Take care and hugs to you and Leroy. :o)

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Jamie,
Thanks we do feel 100% better.
Chance, the lamb was so huggable, we miss him. Thanks for stopping in for a visit, I need to get back into visiting, I'm just so pooped by days end.*wink* I know you can relate!

Ginderbreadhouse,
I know I feel so behind, but in reality we aren't at all behind. It's just that everything is so slow to mature and grow due to lack of heat and sunshine *sigh*
Harvest time, has come for the salad crops in the greenhouse, so that's been such fun. We filled our first weekly CSA garden baskets on Thurs. and all of the members were thrilled. The baskets contained lettuce( mixed), kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, beet greens, swiss chard, radishes, green onions, garlic from last summer's garden and a dozen eggs. We also included a newsletter with recipes for the items in their baskets. Thanks for chatting, I've missed that :o)

Lamb,
While we've( as of this mornings reading received 8 and 6/10 inches of rain since last Sunday evening when this "Toad Strangler" hit us, we do have sandy soil so most of the puddles are already seeping in. There are some sloppy areas, typically the corrals and well traveled areas, the rest isn't to soupy. When the sun and heat does appear, we should be able to sit and watch the produce grow! Or at least that's my prayer and hope that the potatoes didn't rot!

You take care, I need to stop in and see what you've been up to with your Dh and his news. See you there and we're still praying for all of you.

Mark,
Time flies when you're working your backside off*wink* I couldn't beleive it had been so long either. I'm now going to try to catch up on my favorite blogs, so we'll see what kind of trouble you've been into, LOL!
Glad you wre worried and missed us, that's always nice to know :o)
Enjoy the sunshine and hey! send some our way would you?

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Kat,
All the farmer's sort of fear that this is going to be our last wet and cool, soon the heat and dry will hit and then the challenges will be on to keep everythign well watered. First cutting of hay should be beautiful here! The prices zooming about due to high fertilizer costs and fuel are NOT pretty though. Thankfully we've got a good supply in the loft and should get one healthy cutting off our back pasture, so we'll only need to buy some alfalfa( two ton) and that will be plentiful this year :o) Missed you commenting and glad to see you posting again too! It's a challenge to find the time, then the energy to get'er done sin't it? LOL!!!

Debbie,
18 days! in a row, no way I'd be a mass of blubbering jelly, I NEED sunshine! Coop is developing his personality and testing you lady*wink* He's turning into a handsome dog, I know you were worried about him being gangly but he's filling and and developing nicely :o) Thanks for stopping by to chat, we love it!

Mel,
Muddy and soupy in the well raveled paths, otherwise not so bad. Praying the sunshine comes your way too! My poor garden is all under water, thankfully when it stops it will soak in right away, then sunshine and heat should make it all pop and grow like mad, or so I hope*sigh*

Bob,
Our soil is very sandy was well, this is why we flood irrigate our crops in the garden, otherwise sprinklers have to be run everyday just to keep it semi moist. As soon as the rain stops the puiddles will be gone in a matter of minutes. We to have soupy areas where were travel regularly and in the corrals but with some sunshine and heat they'll be dried up in a weeks time, if not sooner. Thanks for commenting, we miss that when we're busy and don't get posting done on a regular basis.

small farm girl said...

I'm glad you started blogging again. I was about to send out the search parties. lol. The last 2 days are the first time we can even get into our garden. Now, I can hardly move. lol

Hopeful said...

so glad you posted! well, it's sunday and i hope the rain is past you!! good news on the goats and the greenhouse seems like a lifesaver due to all the rain. glad you and courtney are feeling better. i hope this week is a good one for all of you.

Mr. H. said...

Sounds like your weather has been even wetter than ours, there is some flooding around our lake but nothing like what you have to worry about and we are fortunate to live on a hill above the lake. We are still burning wood too, glad I cut extra last season...hope your weather and ours improves soon.

How exciting that your CSA is underway, I wish you the best of luck with that venture this year.

Love your new header picture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...